1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is This Cheap JBL Navigation Unit For Real?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SuperBlueNova, Jan 28, 2014.

1. SuperBlueNova

SuperBlueNova New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ebay listing item #221349643211 (sorry, I can't post links) seems to be legit. It says it is for a JBL compatible head unit. Is this the Otto Navi? The screen looks very different! It is a really good price though and I want it if it will work!

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I bought a Win CE based unit for my 2010 (non JBL) about two years ago - I never found an update for the NAV and now it quits or refuses to even start. So it's quite a gamble to buy one.

3. HybridSpin

HybridSpin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought a cheap Chinese navigation head unit about 6 months ago. It runs iGO navigation and seems to be pretty good. When I first got it I was kind of upset because I listen to a lot of AM sports radio and the turner was set for EU stations not the US. After some emailing with the seller I finally got the code from him to enter a hidden menu and get it changed. Since then it has been fine.

The only thing I don't like is the dimmer at night. It stated it would dim when the headlights are on, and it does, but it is maybe half a step dimmer. The thing is bright at night. I did find out if I hold in the mute button for a second or two it shuts the back light off completely until you touch the screen again. Also the instructions were terrible. It showed what wire went where, but that was it. No real instructions on how to operate it. I've just figured it out by hitting buttons.

It may quit working in a year, but paid around $300 for it on ebay.

I had to get it because my JBL amp quit working. Without the amp the JBL head unit is worthless. Pulled the JBL amp out, added an aftermarket amp, and an aftermarket navigation head unit.

This is the unit I got, but from a different seller.

4. SuperBlueNova

SuperBlueNova New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks guys! I have the JBL factory head unit and my amp and speakers are all fine. Mainly I am just sick of having to plug my phone in and press play every time I get into my car! I want to be able to load my music only an SD card and just forget about it. I honestly don't even really need the Nav.

5. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can you play your music through Bluetooth? I just leave an old iPod plugged into my car for tunes since I've been too lazy to sync up my music library to my phone.

6. SuperBlueNova

SuperBlueNova New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    No, you can't stream music through the bluetooth! I don't own an iPod and it is slightly annoying and more dangerous to control one of those while driving!