1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this cheating?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by 4n6, Sep 1, 2007.

1. 4n6

4n6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Am I cheating?
    I am getting an average of 41mpg. When I fill the tank and reset the average MPG before I pull out of the gas station, I start out with a low average and it takes a long time (475 miles or so, a full tank) for the average to get back up to 41. If I wait untill I hit the road and reset while I'm in motion and cruising in stealth mode for a while, my average starts out around 75 mpg and drops to around 55 mpg and then slowly ballancing out around 41mpg at the end of the tank. I know my MPG is the same in the long run but it sure feels good to see the average high for the majority of the time. It seems that it is harder to bring the average up when it starts out low.

I know that 41 mpg isn't anything to brag about but I have 17inch tires and only 1500 miles on the car so far and I live in south Florida so I am using the AC most of the time.

2. Peter7307

Peter7307 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4n6 @ Sep 1 2007, 09:15 PM) [snapback]505622[/snapback]</div>
    The fuel numbers are a direct reflection of the energy required to move the vehicle from a standstill.
    Take that out of the equation and the whole picture changes.

The same thing happens with non hybrids.

In my car a reset while travelling on the free way at about 90 km/h (55 mph) shows the new fuel consuption numbers to be about 6.5 ltrs/100 kms. (43 MPG)

Add a few starts from red lights and it is up around 8.0 or so (35 MPG).

Stop start driving in city traffic means the fuel economy really take a pounding and the numbers are about 11.5 or so (24 MPG). Ouch.!

That said the car IS a non hybrid , 3.8 ltr engine , air con , automatic and weighs about 1 500 kgs.

Are you cheating?
    Not in my opinion but you are comparing one set of figures with another taken under different parameters.

Cheers , Pete.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4n6 @ Sep 1 2007, 09:15 PM) [snapback]505622[/snapback]</div>
    After thinking about this, I have come to the conclusion that this is cheating and you need to send me the $20 fine. <GRINS>

The true metric are the gas reciepts and trip meter or odometer readings. The online display numbers are nice to have but there is no 'coin slot' to cover the price difference between what is paid at the pump and what the online display reports should have been burned. Treat the display as a useful tool and have a happy. <grins>

Bob Wilson

4. 4n6

4n6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Sep 1 2007, 10:53 PM) [snapback]505636[/snapback]</div>
    Good one :lol: