1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this going overboard?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Jun 27, 2006.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    After my wife or son uses a bath, I collect their bath water and carry it down in buckets(several trips) to dump in my garden. I also do this with my dishwater as I wash my dishes/fruits/vegetables over a bucket. If the water is pretty gnarly, I'll just dump it in my compost.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No, it's not.

And the soap is beneficial in controlling insects.

My parents save all of the rainwater in big trashcans to use in their gardens and planting beds. So. Cal is an arid area and getting the most use of water isn't crazy or obsessive.

3. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 27 2006, 03:21 PM) [snapback]277516[/snapback]</div>
    Funny, I never thought of that even though I have 2 bottles of water laced with dish soap at the ready to spray aphids and ants.

4. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't think it's going overboard either. it's very conscientious of you! it may be of matter to you that you select soaps that don't have any petro chemicals present like propolyene glycol (hope i've spelled that right) for the benefit of you and your garden. i can't see any other problems and you have to be conserving a ton of water!

5. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I like learning about new ways to conserve all resources. This site has been highly educational to me in terms of "waste" and reclaimation. Maybe we should re-title this and get folks to come up with the conservation techniques they use at home. Would be a great data base.

6. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's great. Keep it up. We put a bucket in the bathtub, under the nozzle, to collect water as it warms up prior to showering. When the bucket gets full, we use it to flush the toilet. Saves us about 5 gallons a day.
    Rainbarrels are a great way to water the garden for free.
    Bob

7. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen @ Jun 27 2006, 04:49 PM) [snapback]277582[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, that's what we do too.

As for rainbarrels, we don't have rain gutters to direct the water, plus I'm not a fan of standing water in the backyard. Don't want to attract mosquitoes.

I'd prefer a grey water system. Alas, I haven't heard of a practical way to have one installed.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Although not with the Prius yet, I used to wash the car using a sponge and a bucket of water, no soap. That way I could empty the bucket into the plants.

I like Bob's idea of using the cold bath water for the toilet.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 27 2006, 03:07 PM) [snapback]277505[/snapback]</div>
    The short answer is "YES!"

For the love of all that is good and decent, use a garden hose and gravity's natural pull to get the water down.

Also, are you saying that you don't do this for your own bath water? Is your own water a little too gnarly even for the garden?

10. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jun 27 2006, 09:39 PM) [snapback]277815[/snapback]</div>
    I shower.

11. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Everybody's OCD about something. ;) I rescue recycleable stuff from trash cans on a regular basis and at night I'll stop my car in my neighborhood if I see a recycleable (usually soda cans and bottles) in or on the side of the road.

12. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

I still bend over to pick up pennies. :eek:

I LOVE having exact change at the checkstand because I have the right number of pennies.

We put all our used tea bags and coffee grounds directly in the garden.

13. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 27 2006, 01:07 PM) [snapback]277505[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, you could go the easy route that Tony suggests... but I like your solution better. Some folks actually pay MONEY to lift weights and climb stairs. Here you get the workout for free AND you're saving water. How cool is that? And I always love to ask this: Why do gyms have parking lots? And... why are they always full of cars? A neighbor drives is car 1.5 miles to the gym, and then rides the stationary bike for half an hour... then drives home. We live in an area that has bike friendly weather about nine months out of the year.

But I digress...

14. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My wife and I want to move for just that reason. Yesterday, I walked to get a haircut and picked up a pizza on the way home. How out of place I must have looked crossing six lanes of traffice with a pizza in an area as freindly to pedestrians as Hell is for snowballs.

15. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Jun 28 2006, 01:14 AM) [snapback]277928[/snapback]</div>
    I do that too, but I consider that bending over not for pennies but for money and not in a sexual way either.

16. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Jun 28 2006, 12:27 AM) [snapback]277914[/snapback]</div>
    You guys are great! Now I don't feel bad about some of my less-radical (but still not mainstream) conservation practices. :)

17. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, it's like I tell people, recycling and conservation is a slippery slope. First you realize that you don't recycle paper so you start paying attention to that. THen you notice at a friend's house, they trash the aluminum so you pull out all the cans you can reasonbly reach at the time but start separating at home. Then you realize that there are micro-flourescent lightbulbs that you could use so you buy some. The cycle never ends. THe more you do, th emore you realize that you're missing something.

18. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 27 2006, 03:30 PM) [snapback]277621[/snapback]</div>
    I have a friend who set up a system in his backyard that allowed him to capture the water from his washing machine. He is very into conservation of that sort (composting most garbage, etc) but not gas. Wife drives SUV and he has an old Mustang and a Truck. He does use his bike sometimes though.

I turn off lights when not needed, recycle anything that someone will pick up. I don't have space for composting. I try to be aware of paper plates, plasticware etc. And, of course, I drive a Prius!! (it has been wickedly hot here and for the first time ever the tank took 10 gallons. I am still a mid-forties person but happy)

19. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jun 28 2006, 05:55 AM) [snapback]277979[/snapback]</div>
    Hey... new rule here on PC. When you quote anything I write, you must first proof-read it and correct all my typo's. Good lord, I can't type my way out of a paper bag some days...

But anyway... your post reminds me of a thread we had a while back about bicycling. Somebody asked what the other shoppers at the grocery store think when I arrive there with my shorts, helmet and gloves. Wow. I've never given it a second thought. This is my main mode of transportation, and this is how I dress every day. I haven't caught anybody laughing at me yet, that's for sure. When I see my neighbor show up in his Escalade to buy a head of lettuce, I have trouble not rolling my eyes, however.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jun 28 2006, 12:19 PM) [snapback]278171[/snapback]</div>
    Good lord, man! Don't feel bad, please. There are folks out here who drive battery cars and grow their fuel on the roof! You're still mainstream, my friend. :)

20. Tigerops

Tigerops New Member

I don't know about you guys, but I have better things to do with my time. Time is too valuable to waste in our short lives.