1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is This Good?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bandgeek, May 29, 2005.

1. bandgeek

bandgeek New Member

O.K. I just got my first tank of gas and this is where the numbers fell. I drove exactly 500 miles (yes I had to drive once around the Costco parking lot to get it to turn over) and pumped 10.3 gallons. I added exactly .5 gallons after it clicked off the first time. Mileage works out to 48.4 MPG and the computer said 52.5. I figure that the dealer probably quit at the first click when they filled it up on delivery. If I subtract that half gallon from the total, it comes out to about 51 MPG or so. Most of this tank was a mix of highway and suburban roads. On the highway we averaged around 65 and I let the cruise control do most of the work as my foot isn't as sensitive as it is. The terain here is what I would call rolling hills. We are in the foothills of the North Georgia mountains so I wouldn't call it the Rockies but it isn't Florida either. The temperatures here have been running between 65 and 85 recently. Is this good for a first tank? I wanted to see if 1) I could gett 500 miles on the first tank and 2) get over 50 MPG on the first tank. I got the first and I think came very close on the second.

The other thing I was wondering was how much further I could have safely gone. I went down to one bar on the fuel gauge at 456 miles and it started blinking at 496, then I got chicken and filled it up. The last thing I want to do is run out of gas in this thing. I am not that brave. What do you guys think you have left at one bar and when it starts to blink?

Thanks for your input.

I now feel very confident that this car can get EPA estimates.

Dan

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

your statement about the dealer quitting at the first click is why I've always said when you buy a Prius and your going to track your mileage the first stop is a gas station to completely fill the car. Just an accurate baseline to reference all further calculations on. I personally think you did very well for a first tank with the car not broken in yet. I'd say very good. Congrats on a good selection for a new car.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    as far as how far you can go on that blinking bar... that is actually a tough question to ask. answers on this forum will range from 150 miles to as little as 15.

but for the first tank, you did a great job... much better than average for a first tank. as your car gets broken in, your mileage will also increase. i now have 13,000 miles on my car and am getting about 1-2 mpg more than i was at 1000 miles.

my driving may have improved a little, but like you, i rely on cruise control a lot (mostly out of laziness) so my improvement in technique wouldnt play as large a roll in my extra miles.

4. Moby Whaley

Moby Whaley Junior Member

Bandgeek,

I have 40,000 miles on my Prius 04. Sounds like you got excellent milage to me. Oh by the way, good choice of a new car!

have fun passing the pumps.

Moby Whaley

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a really good figure for a first tank! Keep it up!

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Plus lots of highway driving. I can't get much better than upper 40's to low 50's avg MPG if I am on anything one would consider a highway. However, I can get upper 50's and sometimes 60's if I go on main roads, averaging 45-50 MPH.

Now that I have become reaquainted with a friend on the other side of the bay, I'll have to get used to low 50's for tank averages.