1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

is this normal?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by brokenheart, Nov 7, 2005.

1. brokenheart

brokenheart New Member

Just got my Prius 2 days ago. today I am hearing clicking sound when power up and when power down. clicking last about 1 min. Is this normal?

2. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There are a few noises it makes when powering up/down:

-Coolant storage pump working
    -HV relay engaging / disengaging
    -Inverter assembly (clicking/buzzing sound)
    -Brake system pressurizing

I wouldn't worry about it - the Prius is absolutely loaded with diagnostic sensors. If it's doing something it shouldn't, the display with light up with error/warnings.

Dave

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Correct. It's a pump. No worries.

You may also hear a "whirring" sound. Also normal. It's sometimes unnerving getting used to different sounds made by different cars. The Prius is no different, and in fact offers (at no extra charge!) sounds you won't hear on most other cars.

;)

4. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I haven't timed it but I think it takes about a minute after shut down and then you hear a swoosh followed by the pump ticking (sounds like a small air compressor). I once caught a woman talking to my car once it started making the noises. Only in Hollywierd.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I first got Priapus, I noticed similar noises when I started and shut down. In my case, though, it turned out to be the jaws of my neighbors hitting the ground when they realized that the engine wasn't running.

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Howdy brokenheart

...and WELCOME to the "Wonderful World of Prius Ownership..!!"

The sound you hear is most likely the coolant pump pumping hot coolant into and out of your ICE (Internal Combusion Engine). It is perfectly normal for the Prius.

Take a look at your Owner's Manual - Section 3 - "Information Before Driving Your Toyota" Page 208 (2004 Manual) - "Coolant heat storage system" paragraph reads in part: "The coolant heat storage tank system stores hot coolant and feeds it via the electric water pump automatically to warm the engine as required."

Although the Owner's Manual is not an "easy read," there is a great deal of useful, informative information therein. I made it a practice of highlighting interesting information and writing in my own "Index" on the back cover for reference. The Index provided seems a bit strange sometimes.

7. finkj

finkj New Member

To all,

I just installed the factoryinteractive sirius and now i hear the same clicking coming from the bakc of the car (interior) when i start up and shut down. Relay sounds like a good answer. I need some reassurance from someone that I didn't ruin something...help.

There are no warning lights.

Jon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brokenheart @ Nov 7 2005, 03:49 AM) [snapback]151853[/snapback]</div>

8. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brokenheart @ Nov 7 2005, 03:49 AM) [snapback]151853[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, quite normal. Your Prius will make lots of funny sounds. It has a personality that "speaks" out to you from time to time. Enjoy your new car. It's a fun vehicle to own.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius