1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this OEM bug deflector?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Areometer, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Folks, is this the Toyota OEM bug deflector on the yellow Prius taxi? Does anyone use it? Is it in opague black, smoke grey or brownish color?

Please click on the following link to view:
    > Larger Pic.

Thanks.

2. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) I have one simular that I ordered from www.wooddash.com

it looks the same.

Ben

3. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    i got mine from toyota canada and it does have toyota imprinted on the right lower edge.

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey I sorta like that yellow! Maybe i should start a Taxi company, that would be a good excuse to drive my Prius around all the time and make some money too LOL

5. wildplaces

wildplaces Junior Member

Are you happy with the deflector?

wildplaces

6. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(removeum\";p=\"51447)</div>
    But the wooddash one doesn't have the Toyota logo imprinted on it, right? Maybe wooddash made it for Toyota Canada......

7. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) You are correct it is not made by Toyota. That being said, however it has a hole cut in the center so that the Toyota emblem is visible.

Ben

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I saw 2 of the 5 Yellow Cab Prius today and I saw one yesterday. Non were Andrew Grant's YC15. His also has the Toyota logo on the bottom. It's a translucent black.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Smoke" finish

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just to let everyone know, these will be available in the PriusChat Shop in the very near future.

11. RMunroe

RMunroe New Member

where is the PriusChat Shop?

12. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It works well. My partner thinks it looks like Salvador Dali's moustache. I got mine from Toyota Town in Langely, BC. for about 40 bucks US, delivered.
    Installation isn't very hard and you don't need to drill any holes.
    On a 2000 mile road trip it did a good job of deflecting bugs. I noticed that my car had almost no bug splats compared to the other vehicles in the rest stops. I don't know if this was because of the bug deflector or simply the aerodynamic shape of the car and the smooth airflow over the hood and roof.
    I like it better than the idea of wrapping my car in plastic. The deflector is a dark smoke color; not quite black and faintly transparent. There is an oval hole in the front that you have to center around the logo or it will look funny.
    Fits very well and looks like factory equipment.
    Bob

13. Brad

Brad New Member

Is this something that can be easily put on for long trips, and then removed when home again?

14. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just tried to order one from www.toyota-parts.ca and it listed the shipping weight as 46lbs and a minimum shipping cost of $62. Anyone else run into this? I sent an email asking to correct this.

15. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

try 4-6Lbs by that I mean some where between 4 and 6 lbs. The wife had a good laugh at the 46Lbs, she said" the hood is aluminum that'd cave it in! "

16. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) Brad,

All it requires is a phillips screwdriver. Oh by the way, why not just put it on and leave it on?

Ben

17. Brad

Brad New Member

Depends what it looks like. It's so hard to tell from the photos. :eek:

18. wildplaces

wildplaces Junior Member

Re: Shipping Cost for Hood Deflector

I recently browsed the Toyota Canada web site to purchase a hood deflector...their price was a reasonable $50.58, then I started to check out and saw a shipping price of $58!! NO, this was not the total of the deflector plus ground shipping! It's a light weight plastic shield that attaches to the front of the hood...anyone know of a source that charges lower shipping prices for this item?

wildplaces

19. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's the right S&H price as the product is oversized even though it is not heavy. We looked into importing these too from Canada but S&H renders it a lil' too high.

What I suggest is that if you have any local Prius meetings coming up, do a group-order beforehand & distribute the products locally during the meeting. S&H to import 1 or 5 units shouldn't differ a lot - should be around $75 - 99 for 5 units or so by UPS Canada Standard.

20. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Since that we're on this topic, I wonder the actual functionality & practicality of the bug deflector for our Prius. Firstly, the bug deflector on my SUV is super, it cuts down the amount of bug kills drastically. But look at the Prius, it's so aerodynamic, any bugs that come into contact of our windshields should glide straight through the top due to the Prius' bullet shape.

Moreover, even though the oval opening to display the Toyota logo is very thoughtful, I bet that this 'hole' creates a lot of drag. That kinda defeats the nicely designed bullet shape......

What do you guys think?