1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this salesman on crack?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DropDeadRed, Apr 30, 2008.

1. DropDeadRed

DropDeadRed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've started my search in the Houston area for a White 2008 Package 5 Prius (Not Touring) via submitting requests for quotes through the Toyota website.

(I formerly had a comment here about wanting the hatch so not wanting the touring... but clearly the builder was just wrong)

So far the responses seem to be a test of their ability to correctly look up the MSRP (some struggle with this apparently!) and what the "off the lot" charges are. They all seem to be basically telling me that it will be an order or at least snagging one that is inbound already rather than something off the lot.

One quoted a touring, and when I attempted to correct this, I got the following puzzling response:

Clearly either A - something's changed... or B - dude hasn't a clue what he's talking about!

Any thoughts? Any particular pointers for dealers in the Houston area? My initial cut is everything within 50 miles of houston.

DDR

2. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I certainly wouldn't take any statement e-mailed from sales people at face value without backup research.

And how did you get the idea that there is no Liftback Hatch on the Touring model? Or am I on CRACK?

3. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Touring's got the hatch same as the base car. Only difference is the wheels and the spoiler is a little bigger.

4. DropDeadRed

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hence the Wth post here :)

From the builder page at the Toyota Cars, Trucks, SUVs & Accessories page...
    Prius Base
    - 5 Door Hybrid Hatchback 4 Speed Automatic $23,190.00
    - 5 Door Hybrid Hatchback 4 Speed Automatic $21,815.00
    - 4-Door Hybrid Sedan 4 Speed Automatic Touring Edition $24,085.00

I'd read that as the touring being a 4door+trunk?? I wouldn't mind being wrong on that though.
    -----

Doing a bit more research here, seems like the builder must just be wrong... For the life of me staring at the 360 views I can't see any difference with the spoiler. At that point, presuming a package 5 trim level it ammounts to $500 for the wheels and tuned suspension.

DDR

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You are wrong. All the GenII Prius have a hatch, and none have any "speeds" in the transmission.

Tom

6. DropDeadRed

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Clearly so! Good catch on yet another falacy in the model lines description... in the "Build your Toyota" tool.

The initial question remains though, is the non-touring model still being made?

DDR

7. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Its definately a hatch also on the Touring.

The Touring also definately has a slightly longer spoiler, about 2 inches.

8. canesfan

canesfan Culture shocked...

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes.

9. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I sent an email to a dealer in Houston I did business with for a Prius, he gave a $500 discount on internet sale, I'll see if he responds.

10. NaptownPrius

NaptownPrius Getting Greener....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    [​IMG] Yes.

11. s.e.tx_parrothead

s.e.tx_parrothead New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here are few other options for the Houston area. I don't know where u are at in the Houston area. We are in Huntsville (about 1.25 hrs north of the big airport). You might try Gullo in Conroe, Atkinson in Bryan-College Station and even Loving in Lufkin. We bought ours from Loving almost two years ago. Good luck in your search. We have almost 58,000 and still love the car.

12. CedricMordrin

CedricMordrin New Member

I too am in Huntsville and have bought two Prii in the last 2.5 years from dealers in the Northern Houston area.

The first one was from Fred Haas and the second from Gullo. I got a better deal from Gullo but they knew even less about the vehicles than Fred Haas did.
    I will however continue to go to Fred haas for maintenance as their service dept seems to be more competent. Gullo does 'free' tint jobs on purchases and you get what you pay for. I'm taking both vehicles I bought a month ago to have them re-tinted. There are ripples and striations in the tint and it drives me crazy.

DropDeadRed
    When I got my 2005 from Fred Haas I was able to custom order it to my specs. I can give you points of contact at both dealerships if you would like.

13. DropDeadRed

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the responses folks, turns out I'd actually rather have the touring which if anything might make this even more of a pain.

What mats come in the car if you do not get the mats package? none?

I've got contact with the internet sales guy at most of the dealers in the Houston area which would be usefull if they were willing to "play ball" but it seems that they just giggle and say MSRP over and over again with gas prices going the direction that they are.

Kind of wish I'd been moving to Houston in February rather than the end of June.

DDR