1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this spring upside down?!?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by macmaster05, Nov 3, 2010.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been talking with H&R Springs and they sent me a picture of their Prius spring. This is the rear spring.

She kept saying the picture was right side up, and that the narrower coil was the top of the spring. But I disagree because when I look under my car, the bottom coil is CLEARLY the smaller coil (see picture #2 and #3). But if I'm right...why is the HR label upside down?!? According to the H&R website: "When the spring is fitted the stamp markings on spring should be readable, i.e. not upside down." :confused::confused:

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would say that the most important criteria is that the spring fit properly into the spring seat on both ends, and that the orientation of the marking on the spring would be much less important. :madgrin:

3. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    macmaster05, you are correct. H

4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks guys. I have another question: H&R advertises their springs as being progressive-rate but these do not look like progressive springs since the coil is evenly spaced.

I also heard their lowering measurements are often inaccurate because they don't know the stock cars very well.

I really wish H&R would get their s*** straight. I'm really tempted to go to B&G with their 1"F/1"R. Thanks.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since that vendor has offered ample proof that their springs will not fit Prius, it would seem reasonable to shop elsewhere...

6. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What do you mean? The spring is made specifically for the Prius. The H&R website: 2004 Toyota Prius Hybrid Applications || H&R Special Springs, LP

This guy installed it on his Touring:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...2725-my-2007-prius-touring-mods-inside-3.html

Autopress News featured an article on it 2 years ago: H & R tuning for Ford Edge, Mustang Shelby, Mini Clubmanm Toyota Prius and Subaru Impreza- motiontrends.com car magazine - Tuning section

7. Supreme

Supreme Hypebeast

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    By the way Supreme, I called Eibach again today, telling them everything I know about B&G and H&R springs and Eibach has me convinced their springs simply won't work with the Touring. He said the Eibach inner diameter bottom coil is 53mm. The base model is 54.9mm. The Touring is 61mm. It's really does sound too tight to fit around the damper.

I have to wait until next week after SEMA to talk to H&R again about our little issue here.

9. Supreme

Supreme Hypebeast

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the touring model use different/larger/wider dampers? Could just be that the springs are different sizes on the base vs. the touring while the damper(shock) remains the same size, i.e. either spring would still sit in the lower seat with no issue.