1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this strut blown?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by taxibuddy, Aug 27, 2023.

1. taxibuddy

taxibuddy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm hearing and feeling a fair amount of rattling when I hit bumps, e.g. potholes, at moderate speed. I think it's gotten worse over time. I believe the sound is coming form the passenger side. I pulled the front wheels off and took these pictures this morning. I pulled the boots out of the way to make the pictures. The boots are shredded of course but the car has about 217,000 miles with the first 156,000 as NYC taxi. I've owned it 5 1/2 years.

I don't have any experience with suspension components. Do these struts look ok?

Suspected bad strut (passenger side)
    IMG_0449.JPG
    Driver side
    IMG_0447.JPG

2. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    That strut has minor oil at the shock body cap.
    If that is the only oil, I would say it is okay.....BUT
    217K miles, it is time for shock/ strut replacement.

As for your description of a rattle, I would be inclined to say your shocks are not the issue, unless the mounting bushings have failed.
    Additionally, in regard to shocks, there should be a large rubber grommet (bump joust) on the shaft at the top of the strut; if that failed I would expect a complaint of clunk rather than rattle.

Good hunting.

3. taxibuddy

taxibuddy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, here is a picture of each bumper.

Driver
    IMG_0404.JPG

Passenger
    IMG_0451.JPG

Attached Files:

4. taxibuddy

taxibuddy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Also, is this the correct appearance for this component? Both sides look the same in this case.

IMG_0453.jpg

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I would say probably a good time to replace the struts and that lower control arm bushing. (I would get a polyurethane bushing replacement). The bump stop looks good/still intact, meaning the strut isn’t worn out (yet). They can disintegrate, presumably from the top of the strut body impacting them. I have seen that…

taxibuddy likes this.