1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this the correct LED bulb for parking and license plate light?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by us_matrix, Apr 1, 2011.

1. us_matrix

us_matrix Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/194T10-White-LED-Bulb-5x5050LED

I ordered two from DDM and tried last night on parking and licnese plate light. But none of them are working. Is it the correct one? I tried insert the LED bulb to different direction but still not working. Wonder if it is DOA or they are wrong item. Anyone knows?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it fits in the socket, it should be the right bulb.

4. silica

silica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How did you know this was a replacement? Nowhere on the page does it show that it is a replacement for a W5W, which is the bulb size from the owner's manual.

I'm tryiing to find a LED replacement for the rear turning signal bulb. I bought a 7440 LED bulb but it is too large to fit into the housing.

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I do not know or actually remember how but when the Gen III was first coming out and we found out info about it we tracked down that this was the bulb. From what exact information we deduced this was the bulb I'm sorry but off hand I dont remember. But we did in many posts talk about this being the bulb which works for the parking lights, rear license plate light, front door lights and map lights. When you start talking LED for turn signals you get into more mods because of the current. I didn't go LED but went with bulbs coated in a mirror finish so you don't see yellow in the rear or front turn signal lamp housings. Myself and others have used them and posted about them with pics. I think they were called Philips Silver Vision.

1 person likes this.
  6. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    W5W = Wedge 5watt White (I believe) or something along those lines.

It's the same as the T10, 168, etc bulbs that are all compatible with each other. So, yes, the bulb listed is correct.

It could be that the bulb isn't far enough down in the socket. I've noticed the LEDs tend to have an every so slightly larger base section and need a little more "oomph" to get them into the socket correctly.

1 person likes this.
  7. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The 7440 is the correct bulb but some manufacturers have made the LED's stick out too far to fit through the hole. I found that to be the case with Superbrightled's W5W replacements for the front parking lights. Have found some others on eBay, but not liking them as much as I'd hoped. May try this DDMTuning place. Theirs are a nice slim fit. May just have to search around. Tons of places are carrying the LED replacement bulbs these days.

1 person likes this.
  8. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  9. silica

silica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for everyone's information (individual thanks given in each post).

10. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I used these in my parking lights: 5 Chips 194 LED Bulbs

They worked just fine, but the drivers side keeps blowing whatever LED bulb I put in it

11. us_matrix

us_matrix Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Problem solved! It is the right LED bulbs. The problem was the contact between the LED bulb and the socket. Thanks for LulzChicken ^,^ suggestion of bending the LED contact upward. All good now.