1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this the right way to block the radiator

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by georgekessel, Dec 24, 2006.

1. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I couldn't get a straight or clear answer to my questions so I had to make a new post.

Is this the right way to block the radiator so that it won't run the motor as much trying to give me heat?

I put some tubing in the lower grille (see pic)

Thanks,

Josh

Attached Files:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would preferentially block the top grill if I were you. Did you look at the thread where several of us posted pictures of our grill blocks? There are a couple techniques available. Yours is fine, but like I said, I think you're better off starting with the top. When temps are below 30 you can also block the bottom.

Remember that the top 3/4 of the grill is where the ICE coolant flows. The bottom 1/4 is where the coolant for the Inverter flows. Keeping the ICE warm is good, keeping the inverter warm can have adverse effects...though that's not too likely to happen unless it's quite hot out.

You didn't mention if you have CAN-View or Scan-Gage to monitor ICE/Inverter temps...that's a factor as well, IMO, as to how much grill you should block at what temps.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Looks like I was right. On a black car it blends right in. Can you post a picture in the daylight so we can get a proper look at it.

Initially, it looks good and I agree with Evan about doing the top.

4. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Dec 24 2006, 08:17 PM) [snapback]366434[/snapback]</div>

Ah, no I did not see your guys post - only a description in the other posts!

My mileage has really shot up. I think the issue I am having here is excessive rain - water going in an cooling off the radiators. My mileage was down to 35mpg! I just did the same trip and experienced 49mpg.

I'll pick up more insulation when the stores reopen and block the top vents as suggested with 1" insulation. Right now I think the stuff I have is too thick to get in there properly but it does help!

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    where'd you get the insulation? Rona's? Home Depot?

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecojosh @ Dec 24 2006, 11:34 PM) [snapback]366437[/snapback]</div>
    Rain also increases rolling resistance. Your car works harder to plow through water on the roadway.

7. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The insulation was stuff I had pre-cut for my SMART Car AC Lines (it makes the AC blow colder on that vehicle). I never installed it so I figured I'd use it for the Prius for now and get new stuff by next summer.

On Tuesday I hope the hardware stores will be open so I can pick up some of that smaller 1" pipe insulation and complete the vehicle.

I know that rain decreased gas mileage but I think the rain also cools off the motor/radiator and causes it to run more. 35mpg is just pathetic when you're trying to get good mileage. My SMART usually gets 75-80mpg!