1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this Toyota repair site legit -- looks awesome, but...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, May 4, 2017.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota Camry owners & service manuals, user guides

I checked it on the unmasked parasites site, as well as HpHosts and they both say it is clean, as does Google safe browsing, Norton's SafeWeb has no report.

If so, it seems too good to be true.....and, the strange thing, it lists NO information about who put it together, etc. and it seems to be trying to look like an official Toyota site....

Has service manual and owner's manual link and they work.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmm, makes me less excited.

But, I did run MalWareBytes and Avast and Windows Defender scans after my visit and no issues.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Beware....
    MalwareBytes, Winders Defender and Avast are pretty good products (I use Avast myself) but often they can only do what a good country doctor can do, which is to tell you that you're already infected with a bug.

I'm reminded of the military's method of verifying that decontamination procedures are completed once all of the electronic and chemical detectors are clear.
    1. Select a volunteer to take off their protective (MOPP) gear. Normally someone relatively junior, and/or slight of stature.
    2. (important!) Take that person's weapon.
    3. Assist the volunteer out of their MOPP gear as necessary.
    4. Monitor.

I just now navigated to the site with through my beloved company's intranet, so if there's an overt problem with the site, I'll get a nasty-gram from one of the soulless nebbishes in our IT dungeon and get back with you.
    I did NOT download anything..... ;)

If I never post anything to this site again, or I'm suddenly passing out shopping carts down at the local WalMart as a new vocation, I'd be a little careful about going back to the site....

davecook89t likes this.
  5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We always used the sniff test. I know, that sounds rather vulgar, but the procedure was relativity (?) safe!
    With respirator on you drew a deep breath, lifted the side of the respirator and tried to draw in a little more breath (not easy) then replaced the seal of the respirator and emptied your lungs through the mask vent. All the while a buddy was checking you for safety and observing any adverse reaction. Was that much the same as your former policy?

6. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was always senior enough to watch other people "do the sniff test" but yes.....we're instructed to do likewise.

I may not recall exactly how you get from the highest level of protection to lower levels.
    Operational considerations also may dictate "other than classroom" methods for doffing the gear------or not doing so at all, but in keeping with the theme of the thread, yeah.....sometimes you have to PROVE that the environment or in this case....the site is safe.

I have several old PCs that I can use for this, but in the end if you play in the wrong streets, bad things can happen, no matter how much.....ah......"protection" you use.
    The trouble is that is is often difficult to detect agents of all kinds until the index patient gets slimed.
    The other problem is that both kinds of viruses can have an incubation period that preclude rapid detection and elimination before the index patient infects other folks......this is why bio-weapons are so much more dangerous than other icky stuff
    One of the reason that many blood-borne viruses burn themselves out so quickly is that they kill the host too quickly to propagate more effectively.
    A friend of mine was recently infected with a ransomware virus, and the toughest part of getting his files back------and he HAD TO HAVE THEM BACK, was figuring out how to get $600 worth of the current cryptocurrency of choice......
    The good news is that the malware folks almost always give their victim the needed decrypt info.
    The BAD news is that one of these days, the ransomeware folks are going to figure out how to make a super-bug, and we're going to wake up one morning with 10,000 people looking for a way to get $600 worth of bit-coin out of a local ATM.
    Long term investors therefore might be well advised to put a few kilobucks of VERY disposable income into this "investment."

RCO likes this.
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not saying you're wrong by any means I declined my first offer and enlisted into the ranks to gain experience from the bottom rung. Subsequently, I preferred to demonstrate leadership to my subordinates and never asked of them what I wouldn't do myself.

8. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not taking it that way at all... ;)
    I didn't get a first offer and so I had to enlist, since I could not afford to go to college at the time.
    Had I to do it all over again, I'd probably go the same route.
    I topped out as a CPO because I tend to be results oriented rather than process oriented, and I don't play well with others politically.
    Since I work in the side of telecommunications that faces away from the customers, and I have no direct reports (people that I directly supervise) it all works out fairly well for me.

Leadership is a funny thing, and it always looks different from the top down than it does from the bottom up....particularly when dealing with the military, as you well know.
    Battlefield triage (as well as shipboard triage in battle) for example is fundamentally different than the way it works in civilian life.

Btw.....
    I haven't received any nasty-grams from the denizens of the IT dungeon from my journey into the site that we discussed earlier.......proving..... almost nothing.

Good Luck with the Camry!!!

RCO likes this.
  9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You have my full respect. Very similar ideology to mine it seems; I could never suffer fools gladly, whatever their rank.