1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this used Package #5 a good deal?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by peter17319, May 15, 2008.

1. peter17319

peter17319 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This would be a private party sale, through Craigslist. Here is all the info from the listing:

2008 Toyota Prius, 4000 miles, in showroom condition
    $25,500
    Spectra Blue color
    Package 5, which includes:
    GPS Navigation
    HID Headlights
    Fog lights
    Bluetooth
    JBL stereo system 6 CD in-dash CD Changer and upgraded speakers

Properly broken-in
    Tires upgraded to Nokian WR2g
    Upgraded Stiffening Plate
    Mud guards installed

Sun visor/blocker installed to reduce glare and reflections on the Multifunction Display
    Includes Toyota’s emergency medical kit, wheel lock nuts, cargo net, and carpet floor mats.

He listed it a few weeks ago, so the mileage is probably closer to 5000. Judging by that second paragraph, it sounds like he was more than a casual buyer/owner, and really did his homework. So let’s assume that the description is true, and it really is in “showroom condition”. Is that price good enough that I should pounce on it, or is it just ok? It’s more than I was planning to spend, but if it’s a really good deal I can hope to get the majority of my money back in a few years (assuming that the resale value stays as good as it is. *crosses fingers*)

If I do buy from him, I have a few other questions:

1. Is there anything in particular I should check for, other than a visual inspection?
    2. Is it a given that I will be covered by the remainder of the original warranty? If so, is there anything not covered by that warranty, and thus I need to look out for, or is the original warranty pretty much all-inclusive, so no worries?
    3. What do I have to do to make sure the warranty does come with me?

2. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

This sounds almost too good to be true on Craigslist???,,

What is the reason for him selling this car, it is brand new still and why sell it so soon??

I would be kind of wary through Craigslist, but I guess if you actually see the car in person and bring a mechanic with you that is familiar with the Prius. Maybe you can go to a dealership and try and talk to one of the mechanics and see if he would come with you to check out the car. Give him a couple bucks for his time.

The warranty would of course still be in effect but I just wonder why this guy is selling a car so soon?

3. peter17319

peter17319 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

He said in the listing that he bought it for a long commute, but that has changed. I guess he wants to dump it for a much cheaper car.

That's a good idea about a local dealership mechanic. Throw him a few bucks and some free beer, and let them know that I would be much more inclined to use their services in the future. ;)

But I'm curious -- is pretty much any problem covered by the original warranty, and as such should I not be too concerned?

4. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Yeah, I think talking to one of the mechanics on the side and promise some beer, and some cash would work out well, after all money talks,,

I guess I could understand about looking for a cheaper car since he does not have a long commute anymore, like a Yaris, if his budget is not happy with the Prius Payments.

Yes, I believe that pretty much any problem would be covered by the original warranty, after all the car is still only a year old or just a few months depending on when he bought it. Transferring ownership of the car does not void the warranty.

I hope he does not sell it to anyone else before you can get a mechanic over there to check it out. An idea might be to even take the car to the dealership where he bought it from and see if they can verify the purchase, when it was purchased and have one of their mechanics look it over..

I say go for it..

5. penbed

penbed New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dont forget to do a Carfax....