1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this what your port installed leather looks like

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by esoniat, Aug 22, 2009.

1. esoniat

esoniat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have attached my 2010 Prius II port installed leather. My other leather cars are Lexus so I know it isn't going to match that quality but I didn't expect the fit to be quite this poor.

I have attached images and would appreciate feed back, particularly pictures of leather that fits better so I can go back and get it redone if that is advisable.

Going back can some time cause more problems than it fixes.

Thank you for reviewing my images and considering my problem.

Attached Files:

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm not 100% but it could very well be a port thing provided by Toyota? I'd have to go look at my leather, but the wavy perforated holes I think are similar to what comes with the factory leather. That's what makes me think Toyota is providing these for installation at the port.

1 person likes this.
  3. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  4. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I don't know, the covers in that video do not match the ones provided in the OPs post. The clazzio ones have stitches that run from side to side and also front to back down the middle on both the butt portion and back portion, the Ops ones do not.

5. GoSkins

GoSkins Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My IV's leather is tight, no ripples. Same as my mercedes.:)

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The only sure way other than factory installed to guarantee the work is to go aftermarket on your own (especially if you want better than factory quality and/or leather everywhere), provided that you do your research. This is why I play it safe and get the higher package with factory installed leather.

It's too baggy to be acceptable. I'd go back and have it redone.

7. esoniat

esoniat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is a tag that says "SRS Air bag" on the left of the drivers seat.
    But they don't have the stitching down the middle, also the back (cargo area) of the rear seats aren't covered as they are in that video.

8. dsviv

dsviv Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I took pictures of the misty grey leather. Sorry for the dark photos, the car was inside the garage.

Attached Files:

9. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That's what I thought, it looks quite similar to factory to me but not as tightly fitted, IMO...

10. fred garvin

fred garvin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    it is a poor piece of work that you should reject

11. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Freshly installed leather sometimes takes a little while to tighten up, so I've heard... sometimes up to a couple weeks. Leave your car parked in the sun and heat for a while, and hopefully that should tighten it up a bit. Maybe.

12. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It doesn't look as bad as the factory leather in my long since traded '03 Honda Pilot.

Attached Files:

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's one reason I prefer factory-installed even though it's the same factory leather material used. They don't have the same tolerances for fit and finish as a factory-installed one has.

I've seen one port-installed leather here and it kinda looks like yours.

14. capek

capek New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmm, this is an interesting thread for me. I'm planning on having them put leather in my Prius trim II at the dealership, and I think I would be disappointed if it turns out to be that baggy. Would anybody expect there to be better standards at the dealership than there might be at the port? I know there are a lot of variables involved; just wondering if I might end up getting something that is not totally tight. The only other car I've owned with leather came that way from the factory, so I'm used to a tight fit.

Also, the salesman who sold me the car said they will also replace the side panels, but will I get the "driver seat power lumbar support and heated front seats" that come with the trim IV and V 2010s leather pakage, or is that only available on those trim models?

15. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Highly doubtful, if not certainly no, you will not be getting heated seats and power lumbar as well. That would involve much more than just getting seat covers put over your seats.

16. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Find out if your dealership does it on location or if they send it to a local upholstery shop. My last car, a Scion tC, came without leather. The dealership had a leather option, for which they sent the car to a local leather upholstery shop. It was EXCELLENT quality in both leather and installation.

If you're still sketchy about it, call some local leather upholstery shops yourself. That's their exact business and they SHOULD know what they're doing... plus you'll probably have lots of options to choose from and will cut out whatever profit the dealership was gonna make.

17. capek

capek New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's a good idea nola. I had a bit of an issue with my Prius the day I picked it up. Right after driving it off the lot, I noticed a very loud vibrating sound coming from the right side of the engine compartment that only occurred when I was accelerating while traveling 12-18 MPH. I took it right back, but because it was late enough in the day (~6 PM), all the service people had left so I was told I'd have to leave it and they'd look at it the next day. Since I had only had the car about an hour, I was pretty pissed, and it seemed that they were pretty nonchalant about it, considering I had just bought it. Well, the reason I bring that up is that I worked it out with my salesman that I'd get some kind of discount on the leather package I was planning to put in. He still hasn't gotten back to me about what that discount will actually be (I need my CFC State voucher to clear first...it's a long story), but once I find out I will do some price comparisons.

18. dsviv

dsviv Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The factory installed leather looked "tight" from day 1. I used a leather conditioner, but haven't done anything else.

19. Snowbell

Snowbell That's the cat! Snow...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    FYI -
    The salesman at the dealership I am using told me that you can get heated front seats with the leather seat upgrade on the Gen. III's, however, you cannot get the lumbar support.

20. jestoy7

jestoy7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That does look like port installed leather for 3 reasons (to me): 1) Your doors do not have leather on the inserts. 2) Your profile shows that you bought a 2010 Prius II 3) You are in Marietta GA?

GA = Southeast Toyota aka SET. Notorious for adding things at port to bring up profit dollars.

I would reject that and have them re-do it. DSVIV on post #8 shows how tight leather should be.