1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Toyota Losing Luster--Or Have More Makes Added Polish?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Somechic, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IS TOYOTA ON THE DECLINE as long-time ruler of vehicle quality? Yes, if one speaks of real quality--but if one speaks of brand equity, probably not, at least in the near term. Yet, a flurry of studies this year suggest that Toyota may want to watch its back.

Mile markers include Ford's strong showing in J.D. Power & Associates' "2007 Initial Quality Study" in June. For the first time since 1998, Ford topped all automakers, garnering five top model segment awards (although one of the vehicles was Mazda's). Lincoln went from 12th place to third, Mercury from 17th to eighth, and Ford from 16th to 10th. In the first paragraph in its story on Ford's win, the Associated Press suggested that people who have been joking that Ford stands for "Found on Road Dead" may have to change it to "Fixing Our Reputation Daily."

http://publications.mediapost.com/index.cf...39&p=436482

2. crypter

crypter New Member

Speaking from experience, the FORD acronym spelled backwards is short for "Driver Returns On Foot" <_<

Sorry Malorn.

3. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I doubt that Toyota's problems with the Camry V6, Lexus GS and Tundra will spread to other models. Their quest for global domination has caused a few problems, evidently, but it doesn't mean that they'll magically turn in to a POS manufacturer the way the Detroit 3 have. Detroit has spent decades refining their ability to turn out junky cars and it's not an achievement that they'll allow others to usurp. Of course, if Toyota DOES start turning out faulty automobiles the way Detroit has, I don't know what I'll do except wait for my Prius warranties to run out and then convert it to EV as was my plan in the beginning.

I hope that Ford keeps up the good work and starts increasing its stable of reliable cars. It would also help if they didn't make prospective customers wait 2 months for an Escape hybrid but I digress.

4. SeniorDad

SeniorDad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Oct 25 2007, 05:29 PM) [snapback]530469[/snapback]</div>
    Too late.

Sienna door problem.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/24/toyota-...-recall-mind-y/

FJ Cruiser frame cracking.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/prob...-body-rips.html

I've purchased five new cars in the last ten years. Two built by Japanese manufacturers, three by GM. By far the most satisfying and most dependable vehicles have been the GM's. Why I no longer have then and have a Prius and a Dodge Caravan is a long story. Based largely around my wife's desire for a mini-van, GM's failure to make one that doesn't suck and our purchase of a Honda Odyssey, the biggest, yellowest, most bitter tasting LEMON of a thing it's been my misfortune to own. It was so bad, Honda took our first one back and replaced it with one only slightly better. Finally sold it for a $8K loss after 8 months, two power steering pumps and several trips to the Honda "pusher." I refuse to call them dealers.

I bought the Prius after seeing that there is a chance it may be able to be retrofitted to PHEV configuration, or, at the very least, a Li Battery replacement for the NiMH. Of course the Tax Credit, 0% financing and a price right at invoice didn't hurt either.

Until then, I'm enjoying my mid-50's MPG and the hope that Toyota's problems didn't carry over to this little blue thing in my garage for which I have grand plans!

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Somechic @ Oct 25 2007, 07:54 AM) [snapback]530174[/snapback]</div>

I thought it stood for Fix or Repair Daily.

(BTW I used to have a Ford Pinto and it served me well.)

6. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Long-term (10+ years) - look around at the make and conditions of vehicles at least 10 years old. The condition and durability of a vehicle speaks loudly. At 10+ years old, most Toyota's look great.

7. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SeniorDad @ Oct 26 2007, 12:24 PM) [snapback]530763[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota has major problems. They are doing everything they can to not have adoor recall on the sienna and a transmission recall on the Tundra....it is only a matter of time on both. :lol:

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was sitting waiting at the Toyota dealership for some work to be done on the Prius...so, of course I checked out all the new cars on the lot.

The new instrument panel in their full-size trucks really does look cheap and, at least on the example I examined, actually showed significant gaps between the instrument bezels and the panel itself. They had moulded it so the bezels were to fit flush against the panel, using only the pressure from the fasteners to hold them in place. Of course this is not going to happen 100%...but the problem was, there were no little recesses around the bezels, for example (to cast a teeny drop shadow, and disguise any little fit and finish issues) or anything else going on there to distract the eye and add a sense of detail.
    :-(

???

Some other oddness, too...that sweetness of texture that I've come to expect from Toyota was noticeably missing; the feeling of the interior actually reminded me of a Ford product from the 1980's (this is not a complement, BTW).

The truck was priced at $56,000 (!) which seems like a lot to me; gray leather and vinyl and plastic everywhere, and lots of near misses color-wise. It was, honestly, a bit shocking.

On the other hand, the mechanism that opens *and closes* the glove compartment of the RAV-4 --with only the push of a button and gravity-- (but no springs or other mechanisms) is, in my opinion, a work of industrial art. I couldn't take my had off of it!

-----

I hate to say it, but I think that last bit of attention to detail which I've come to expect from Toyota, has gone missing. I can't speak on the fit and finish problems so much, but the look and feel of some of their current products is a bit puzzling to me personally.

I can only hope that the same malaise isn't having an effect on Engineering.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Isn't the Tundra made in....Texas?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Oct 26 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]530793[/snapback]</div>
    I used to own a 40 year old Caddy. 1960 Sedan de Ville four door harddtop complete with skirts. The car ran great (after a little work). Of course it didn't have all of the gadgets they have now. I wish I could have afforded to put the money in that car to make it cherry. It need new upholstery and new paint. It was missing only one piece of chrome; a logo on the fender. I'm sure I could have found one on eBay. But I needed my garage back, so after a few years of enjoyment I sold the car...for twice what I paid for it.

Now my parents own a Cadillac Sedan de Ville, 1998 I think. Piece of cr@p. That car will never see 40 years. In fact, the only reason it's going to make 10 is that my parents don't drive it much and have sunk money into it. But as soon as they can afford to dump it, they are. Probably for a Toyota. My Dad wants a Lexus but my Mom and I are talking him into a Toyota instead.

Now will Toyotas eventually follow the path of Cadillac? Maybe. But they're no where near there yet. When I sell my Prius in 2015 (give of take) some lucky person is going to get another 10 years and 100,000 miles out of that car before passing it on to someone else.

I can't say the same for my parents' Caddy.

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are Toyota building their truck in USA? Could be a mistake. Oh well they still make the best cars.

11. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 27 2007, 10:05 PM) [snapback]531415[/snapback]</div>
    How about lightening up a bit when it comes to your stern critique of the US?

Besides all of the usual reasons, why are your nickers in such a twist?

Shall we point the harsh light of criticism in your direction? Do you still keep foreigners from keeping long-term employment in your country, to protect the livelihoods of the locals?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Somechic @ Oct 25 2007, 07:54 AM) [snapback]530174[/snapback]</div>
    "Have you driven a Ford...lately?" (never mind all of the cr*p we've sold you for the last couple of decades or so)

12. bulldog

bulldog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Very good to see Ford gettign their act together. They have been putting real effort into it for quite a few years now and it seems that it is starting to pay off. Reputation is earned either way over a logn period of time, so if they keep up the progress they will get rated very highly in the future. Unfortunately the same can't be said of the other 2.

Toyota seems to have a few missteps lately, but they are still top rated in most surveys etc. Most of their troubles come from newly introduced models and their new plants. Most seems to be sorted after the first model year though.

My experience have been that if you get a newly introduced Toyota model you wait 3-4 years into the model lifecycle, and you will get a vehicle with the problems sorted out and also upgraded options, etc for the same price (or less). This is even the case with the 2nd Gen Prius, they keep gettign better and better deals to be had with every year (although I think it pretty much is going to stay level now).

13. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Not to complain or defend any brand, but JDP&A has a very US-centric slant, so are not to be taken seriously regarding comparisons to foreign companies. I, for one, really hope I will be able to look at domestic autos one day without remembering all the money and trouble I had with various US manufacturers in the past when I was very poor and every cent counted. It would please me greatly to have a 'choice' between Toyota and Ford/GM. As it stands now, there is no comparison, and equality between foreign and domestic autos will not be enough to win me over. US manufacturers must rate VERY much higher for a LONG period of years before I will throw good money after bad. US manufacturers raped their clientèle for years and a simple "I'm sorry, I promise not to do it again" won't suffice. The proof is in the long-term pudding.

14. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crypter crypter @ Oct 25 2007, 04:06 PM) [snapback]530439[/snapback]</div>
    I always heard it was "Fix Or Repair Daily" :lol: