1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is VSC/ESC safety feature lowering anyone's insurance?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by exhuman, Apr 28, 2005.

1. exhuman

exhuman Member

I have a pkg 6 which includes the VSC (Vehicle Stability Control). I don't think you can tell from the VIN whether the Prius has the VSC or not. If that's what the insurance company uses in figuring out what safety features you have does that mean that the VSC isn't affecting my insurance rate?

Does anyone know of insurance companies giving lower rates for cars with Toyota's VSC or other ESC(Electronic Stability Control) system?

There was an article all about ESC in Consumer Reports in April saying how wonderful it is for safety.

Thanks.
    ex

2. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Allstate gave me a discount for the passive restraints and antilock brakes, not for the VSC. I have a 2005 with pkg. 6.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I think that would be comparable to ABS discount, even if VSC/ESC is better. In the future there may be more discounts for VSC/ESC as insurance companies see a measurable value to their pocketbook.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here in Manitoba the only place to get automobile insurance is at the Provincially-owned Autopac.

Since I could prove the car had all the safety features (Side airbags, VSC, Trac, ABS) and a factory immobilizer, it cut around 30% off my insurance.