1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Where they Put Sirius Antenna OK?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dfine1966, Aug 12, 2007.

1. dfine1966

dfine1966 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I just got my new 2007 Magnetic Gray PKG 5 Prius with built in Sirius into the Navigation System. They put the antenna on the dashboard, passenger side, far right hand side. I haven't really tried it yet to see how the reception is. I have had portable units in my other cars with Sirius, and my wife has a 2007 Sienna with the Sirius built in the Navigation. But they put her antenna, which is magnetic, on the roof. The one they put in the Prius looks like it is put on a pad, which I assume is glued. I had told the Dealer before they installed the Sirius to find out where they were putting the antenna, but he forgot. When I got there it was already done. I sort of complained. I told them I would try it out. If the reception is bad, that I would want it moved. They have that marked on their checklist. What do you think, where do you think the antenna should go. I doesn't look bad where it is. You really don't notice it. I live in Connecticut, so the windows aren't tinted like they are in Florida or California.

Also I was trying to figure out where they put the tuner for the Sirius. I look under the front two seats. Under the drivers seat I found the dvd player for the Navigation. There was something under the passenger seat, which I think is the tuner, but I can't tell. Does anyone know where the put the Sirius Tuner for the Prius. Is it under the passenger seat.

Thanks for the help

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Under the Passenger seat is the amplifier for the stereo. They would have installed the Sirius box in the dash.

Oh and The quality of signal is far, far better on the roof than it is on the dash.

3. dfine1966

dfine1966 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Here is an update. I have tried the Sirius out for a few days, and the reception is a lot poorer than I had before, losing signal every minute or 2. My wife has a new 2007 Sienna with Navigation, which they put in the Sirius integrated, but they put her antenna on the roof, with a magnetic antenna, but they did put it on the front of the car, just above the windshield. The reception for hers is fine. Where I was just cutting out with the Prius, her Sienna was fine. They put the Antenna on the dash for the Prius, I think they used glue on the little strip of felt, and then glued the antenna to that. They put it on the passenger side, far right towards the windshield. The dealership already has it noted that I was concerned where they put it and if I didn't like how the reception was that they would move it at no cost. I also have to make sure that they fix the dash once they take it off. There will probably will have to remove glue and possibly scratches.

Now my question. Where is the best place to mount the antenna.
    1. By the front windshield, like my wife's Sienna.
    2. On the back, near where the water spray for the rear window.
    3. On the back, near where the car antenna is. If this is where it should go, should it be place behind the car antenna, to the left, right or in front toward the front of the car.

Also should I use a magnetic antenna ( I have the antenna I got with my Stiletto 100, or I also have and older Monster antenna, but that has been in use for 2 years(might be a little worn, or should I buy a new one, if so which one and where should I buy it.

Or should I let them use the one they have, and let them glue it on, since it is not magnetic.

By the way I live in Connecticut.

Thanks for the help.

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have mine sitting behind the antenna. Use a magnetic one, unless you really want something glued on your paint. I'd just swing by your local electronics chain and pick up an antenna. Or just order one online anywhere.

5. dfine1966

dfine1966 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    OK, so which magnetic antenna to use. I have a brand new DOT Micro, never used which I got with my Stiletto 100. I have an older magnetic antenna Monster Brand Antenna. That one was great, with great reception, but it is 2 years old. I could go buy a new one of the Monster brand or a new Terk brand. Out of the 3 choices, which one would you use for the built in Sirius in the Navigation system in my 2007 PKG 5 Prius? I definitely don't want to use the antenna they put in, I don't want it glued to the roof. I just talked to the dealer, and they will do it right away for me and fix everything, even if there are scratches, etc.

Let me know what you think?

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dfine1966 @ Aug 13 2007, 11:34 AM) [snapback]494826[/snapback]</div>
    It doesn't really matter? If that monster worked for you keep using it. I use the same one that came with the Stiletto.

7. dfine1966

dfine1966 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks for the reply. So you don't have problems with the sirius antenna directly behind your regular antenna. It doesn't interfere with reception. Should it be off set a little to the right or left, or straight behind it? Is the Dot Micro to big? Should I try the smaller one?

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dfine1966 @ Aug 13 2007, 04:15 PM) [snapback]495030[/snapback]</div>
    Doesn't matter

&

It's totally your preference.

9. dfine1966

dfine1966 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Went to Toyota today.

They said no problem switching it to behind regular antenna. They are putting in a TERK Magnetic Antenna. The only thing he suggested was that also with the magnetic antenna he usually put felt strip underneath to secure it, especially if you go through car washes. The magnetic antenna might move and scratch up the roof. He said the strips will hold it better, and has never had problem taking it off afterwards without getting minamal scratches on the scar. For now I told him I just wanted the Magnetic Antenna only, not the strips. Now I am having second thoughts if I should use the magnetic strips with the Magnetic antenna.

What do you think, with or without the strips to keep it in place?

10. sincitymedic

sincitymedic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok......so I found 2 places that work quite well & keep the antenna well-hidden.

1) The front, passenger-side wiper-cowel. This is that rectangular "box" that houses the wiper assembly & motor for the passenger-side wiper. It can go under there & not be impeded at all. It works great.

2) I have mine in the spoiler. Now, I have a P6 Touring.....so, the spoiler is larger. I took off the brakelight, made the hole for the wires slightly bigger, & was able to get my antenna in there. The reception is fine, but I do tend to drop-out more when in areas w/ lots of trees, etc.

YMMV.

11. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The "official" locations (by Toyota's directions) for the antenna and tuner are on the roof behind the FM antenna, and under the right rear passenger seat.

The roof position is the best location for reception, but you can often get away with other locations that are good enough.