1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Issue w/ Transaxle Needing to Replace Tranny?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by myfootsmells, Jun 18, 2008.

1. myfootsmells

myfootsmells New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Hi Everyone

2002 Prius ~ 100k miles.

I was driving and the check engine light came on. My dealership (Keys Toyota in Van Nuys, CA) says that I need a new transaxle because the electric motor in the transmission is shorted? More specifically "there is an issue with the M62 shorting." I tried to have him elaborate but the SA couldn't and neither could the tech.

I asked for the engine codes and the 3 codes he gave me were 1202, 3000, and 3009. If these are ODB-II codes all of them are invalid or I couldn't find information on them.

I've contacted Toyota Corp HQ Customer Experience Center and opened a case with them. I am waiting for a phone call back but wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts on this. Advice? Suggestions?

Oh I forgot to mention there were no issues that I could feel when driving the car. I actually drove it for another 40 or so miles before Key's told me I needed a new transmission.

Thanks,

Michael

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Michael,

"M62" is MG2, which is the motor generator in the transaxle that turns the axleshafts via the differential.

DTC P3009 means that your car has a high voltage leak. Normally the high voltage is isolated from ground. When this DTC comes up, this means that a component is allowing high voltage to leak to ground, which can cause a serious safety issue.

DTC P3000 means that the traction battery or traction battery ECU is having a problem.

I suggest that you inquire into how the tech determined that MG2 is causing the leak. Did the tech use a megger (which is a high voltage ohmmeter) to isolate the failed component?

Other potential trouble areas include the traction battery, the traction battery ECU, and the inverter. Those parts would have been covered by the 100K mile hybrid system warranty which apparently recently expired.

One place where you can obtain a good list of Classic DTC is at www.ecrostech.com where you can find the Prius miniscanner owner's manual. That manual contains a list of DTC at the end.

3. myfootsmells

myfootsmells New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Thanks for the info Patrick.

He spit out some numbers regarding Ohms and said that was where the leak is.

Does this really require a brand new transmission?

Michael

4. myfootsmells

myfootsmells New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    More info Patrick.

Apparently the cooling system inside the transmission is leak causing a short and throwing the code.

Any thoughts on this?

Michael

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I have nothing specific on this but will be watching from the sidelines as usual. Hoping very much that Toyota agrees to replace the transaxle under warranty, as this appears to be indicated.

I have no negative thoughts about your shop in Van Nuys, but want to mention that yonder east in Claremont (near Pomona), Claremont Toyota has my favorite Prius techs in the area.

Please keep us posted, and good luck.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Thats not making alot of sense. Are they saying there was a coolant leak inside the trans and that shorted out the windings? Or there was a coolant leak of the inverter/trans cooler and the trans over heated destroying MG2.The latter would require you driving for quite a while with the check engine light on. Yes? Unlike most cars thats a very bad thing for a Prius.
    Yes first thing I'd do if I was the Toy tech is the ohmmeter test too. It's quick & easy. Disconnect the 3 phase inverter drives to the MG's and test each to ground. All 3 Should be meg ohm open to ground. But any high impedance to ground trot out the megger but if its a low impedance to ground short its a dc short and you a done deal to the tune of maybe $5000. Replace MG2..hey I'm here..might as well replace MG1 too. It will get expensive.
    Sounds to me like you have one of the very rare trans axle motor winding failures. Unless you were driving with an empty inverter coolant tank (throws a DTC nag=Check engine light)) or driving with no WS fluid in the trans axle Toyota may weigh in with some participation.But here's what I don't get.I know they didn't pull MG2 apart so how do they know its contaminated by coolant? Thats a big job and there not going to do it on a diagnostic fee spec mission so there talking out there a@@. Unless they opened the trans fluid dump hex bolt and coolant poured out. Which may be a first. Give us some follow up please. More numbers. History of car. State of tune. Last transaxle fluid change etc. Thanks and good luck!

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Michael,

It sounds plausible that the transaxle has failed; however I had not previously heard about a coolant leak as being the cause for such failure. The dealer will probably quote a ~$6K repair bill. This is a big amount to spend on a 2002 considering its market value.

An alternate solution is to install a salvage transaxle; however you have no assurance as to the remaining life of a used part.

If you decide to have the dealer replace the transaxle, you may want to ask the mechanic to verify that the transaxle is the failed part by doing as Ed suggested - disconnecting the AC cables to MG1 and MG2, and measuring the resistance from each of the three MG terminals to ground. I suggest that you be present to observe.

It would be interesting to see if Toyota helps you with the repair cost. I doubt that you will receive help since the powertrain warranty expired at 60K miles. I have noticed that Toyota seems to be less generous than in the past with regard to helping with unwarranted repairs - perhaps this is due to the financial strain that all of the auto mfrs currently face with weak auto sales, exacerbated by the decline of the US$ vs. the Japanese yen.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It may be too late but getting about a cup of transaxle oil sent to PdMA for analysis could report:

• coolant in the oil
    • particle counts
    • types of wear materials
    So you didn't hear a rumble that was speed related?

Did you possibly clean the engine compartment with a wand sprayer?

Bob Wilson

9. SeasideHawaii

SeasideHawaii New Member

I just had the Transaxle problem myself. Driving along and the lights all go on. I pull over turn off the car and then it won't turn back on. Call Toyota and no one knew what was happening and what the warning lights meant.

My car is a 2005 with a whole 16,000 miles on it. Toyota will replace the transaxle sice car is less then 3 years old. I also got the extended warranty for the next 4 years. It's been over a week now and this Sat will be two weeks they have my car...only my car salesman knew it was an electrical problem.

10. myfootsmells

myfootsmells New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    No noticeable issues at all and as soon as the cel came on, it went to the dealer.

I've contact Toyota Corp and they are seeing if there is anything they can do to assist.

Speaking w/ Keys their techs didn't know much. They themselves called Toyota and Toyota basically said replace the transaxle. I asked them to elaborate on testing procedures and it all seemed a little too wishy washy.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Michael

11. myfootsmells

myfootsmells New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Yes a coolant leak that shorted out the wingdings. They are pretty useless over the phone NO ONE seems to know how to deal with hybrids at this place.

I might have to head to the dealership and sit down and have them explain it all .

Are there 3 MGs? MG1, MG2, and MG3? Dealer said MG2 showed continuity and that's all he said.

Michael

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just two MGs:

1. MG1 - this small, 18 kw, 24 hp is the brilliant part of the transmission that handles 'gear ratios' using a power-split device, a planetary gear set.
    2. MG2 - this large, 33 kW 44 hp is the more 'traditional' motor of the pair. It also handles the regenerative braking.
    Head over to the technical forum and find a link to John's page and Graham Davies pages. I've also written a minor piece about some of the unique 'overdrive' operations (to borrow Hobbit's term.)

The reason I asked about cleaning the engine compartment is a small vent hole is located near the firewall that is difficult to reach. However, if you cleaned the engine compartment while it was hot, the water could cool the terminal block enough to 'ingest' enough of the soapy water to trigger the fault. This would be a false positive and relatively easy to correct. But this is not in the 'SOP.'

The little vent tube is a rubber part and it is also possible that it might have 'gone missing.' If so, the probability of water ingestion goes way up:
    [​IMG]

In the past, a transaxle failure has also been associated with windings shorting and 'rumble' develops that is speed related. However, you didn't mention a 'rumble' so that is why I asked about this alternate diagnosis.

Of course, you could have a failed transaxle and the first documented coolant leak into the transaxle. One clue would be loss of fluid from the plastic resevoir next to the inverter. Patrick Wong may have some photos showing what to check.

Bob Wilson

ps. How about updating your profile with City/State and model information. I saw your signature but this would make it a lot easier for folks to understand what you've got.

13. myfootsmells

myfootsmells New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Alright here's what Toyota said. They would cover 50% of the cost of parts and I'd have to pay for everything else. I'd probably end up paying $3000. I currently owe $7000 and have 105,000 miles with carpool sticker.

If I want a second opinion on the issue I'll have to take it to another dealership and pay another $100 for diagnosis. Are there other dealerships in my area that have good Prius techs?

Think it's worth it?

Michael

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Michael,

I am wondering why the battery DTC code came up. I have not heard of coolant leakage as a reason for a transaxle failure before. Your post #10 indicated you did not feel confident that Keys techs diagnosed the system thoroughly. You might have another problem instead of, or in addition to the transaxle.

For example, another southern CA owner had a similar problem and the first dealer diagnosed a failed transaxle. She took the car to another dealer to obtain a second opinion, and that dealer diagnosed a bad battery ECU. The ECU was replaced, and all was well.

Therefore, I suggest that a second opinion would be worthwhile. Longo Toyota in El Monte might be a good place for a second opinion since they are a high-volume shop.

The amount that you owe on the car is irrelevant to the repair decision (as you are on the hook to repay the loan whether or not the car is repaired.) Having valid carpool stickers is the main reason to repair the car, assuming that you can take advantage of the solo privilege during your daily commute.

15. myfootsmells

myfootsmells New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Now when I bring to Longo should I tell them the first diagnosis or should I just let them at it without some knowledge?

Michael

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Michael,

I would suggest that you fully describe the symptoms and warning lights that you have seen, and let them come up with a diagnosis. There's no need to muddy the water with the first dealer's diagnosis.