1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Issue with new booster/ master cylinder Prius V 2012

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jft, Jul 8, 2023.

1. jft

jft New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hello,
    The car was losing ABS with specific lights on the dashboard for a few minutes on/off for several weeks.
    I got code C1391 at the time.
    I stopped by local Toyota place, they lifted the car , they informed me that I had to replace the master cylinder
    47050-47110, they gave me a quote and I was told that there was none in stock for at least 4 to 6 weeks.
    I ordered one at OEMgenuineparts, it was shipped to me and this Toyota place told me they would not use it, ( did not come from dealership).
    The new part has been installed after purging the system but it seems difficult to calibrate it at the Toyota location that i have found.
    I added a few pictures. Anything specific to do when installing this part? Should the accumulator had been replaced as well? No idea why they did not mention it when giving me the quote . Could the new part be working even if the accumulator is bad?
    Thank you for your help.

Attached Files:

2. GregC1979

GregC1979 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    You need Tech Stream to run through all the tests and prompts for it to run correctly. And no you don't necessarily need the pump replaced for the master cylinder to work correctly or for Tech Stream to clear the codes and make it work either. Doubtful the new part is bad, but is it the correct revision part number for your VIN #?

jft likes this.
  3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Looks like the typical, combined ABS pump, accumulator, actuator and master cylinder failure mode. There was a TSB on this, limited by age to ten years, as I recall.

GregC1979 and jft like this.
  4. jft

jft New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You are right. I read about it. It was never mentioned when the car was brought to the Toyota dealership during many years. It looked to me as it could have been a recall but it was quite pricey for them.This one failed just after the ten years with less than 150 000 miles.

5. jft

jft New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hello Greg,
    Yes it's the correct part. They asked me for Vin number before purchase. I should not have mentioned booster in the title.
    I am assuming that they don't have Tech Stream at this Toyota repair shop. I texted about it at the time, I did not remember the name.
    I will know more later on. Thank you.

GregC1979 likes this.