1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Issues with cold engine and later rough start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lmp, Nov 29, 2018.

1. lmp

lmp Lauris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello,
    I have issues with starting up when engine is cold, when started engine is shaking and clunking and it dosen't take load it starts to shake even more (tried just to test) when engine warms up things is getting better. It performs well, takes load and everything is almost fine, only starts after ICE shutdown (hybrid mode) is rough if compared as it was before.
    From time to time it shows OBD error "Misfire" in random cylinder.
    First of all I'd blame coils, or spark plugs, but spark plugs are almost new changed two times because at first with some Bosh it was terrible performance, then talked to Toyota guys and they recommended this ones I have. Sorry, don't remember at the moment brand. On the other hand about coils, I don't believe it is coils as misfire is in random cylinder I don't think all 4 coils can die at same time.

Any ideas what to look at, to get ir smooth again?

Have talked to Toyota guy, he has no useful clue, at least he told me so. When I asked what would they do if I came with my car and asked them to fix it. Answer was in short - start to change everything. :D Of course I don't know how god he is at Toyota.

One more issue, perhaps not related to issue mentioned before, but anyway - now for some time heating is not working well it starts with really cold air, and after a while (much longer as it used to be) it starts to heat almost normally, then after few mins it gets cold again (still not comfortable warm inside), then after a while it gets warm not hot.
    I'm talking about winter temperatures outside. Lets say -5C or lower, when it should blow really hot, but same behavior is in warmer time too.

Any help will be appreciated. ;)
    Cheers!

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your "one more issue" may very well be related. I hate to say this, but it sounds to me like you might be getting fluid in the combustion chamber. That would make it start rough and it would be random which cylinder misfires. The fluid could be engine coolant from a blown head gasket which would also fit with the heater problem. If enough coolant has leaked into the combustion chambers, the heater would not work right.

I would check the engine coolant level. And check for discoloration of your oil. Another clue would be white smoke in the exhaust.

Skibob likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many miles (or kilometers) on it?

Clean the throttle body, and the intake manifold as well, if it's looking bad. Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve may be making a mess in there.

Maybe the coolant thermostat is failing? Coolant pump too should be checked, perhaps just replaced anyway.

4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Make sure you check the coolant level in the radiator, not the overflow tank. Another poster had that same heating problem and the coolant was low, sometimes with certain leaks the overflow tank can be full but the radiator is not.

jerrymildred likes this.