1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I got my first oil change at the Stealership. I thought I was being smart by calling them on the phone and getting the price which they quoted me to be about $5 more than a local Quickie Lube shop with my free 5k mile free oil change discount. When I get the bill they had tacked on all these extra charges bringing it up to $95 for a synthetic oil change and tire totation which is $25 more than quoted on the phone. One of the charges was for $10 for 5 qt of oil. The book says 3.7 qt. They have just lost all my future service except for warranty work.

On the flip side I got an oil sample to send into Oilguard and will let you guys know what the report says. I got 12 oil tests for my old diesel truck so I might as well use them for my Prius.

2. popoff

popoff New Member

I had my first oil change a few days ago. I was specific with the service writer that all I wanted was what was necessary to maintain the warranty. He volunteered that an oil and filter change was all that was required. I also had him write on the service "do not overfill crankcase."

The invoice showed 3.9 quarts and, on checking, the dipstick was right at the full mark.

The total came to around $28. I thought that was just a little high, but still in the acceptable range.

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will check the oil lvl this weekend. I hope they just typed that line in so I do not have to go and drain 1.3 qts. I think I will be changing my own oil from now on depending on the cost of the quickie lube vs the cost of bulk synth oil.

My wie spent $12 getting her oil changed at the local oil shop but just did dino.

4. HYACK

HYACK New Member

Please do notify the site here of your oilguard results! (or even PM me ;)) Thanks.. If said results show other than synthetic oil, imo you have a good case to demand the entire job be refunded.

As I've heard from another member here - and fully agree - the more Toyota dealerships get the message that the avg Prius owner will hold them accountable for honest, top service...the higher calibre of service the lot of us will receive!

I can just see the mechanic service orders being written up now: "Attention: it's a PRIUS!" ;)

5. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, this is my first change so should be dino. I will not know if they jipped me until another 5k. Although I am thinking of just changing every 10k with a filter change and fill up at 5k. We will see when I do the next test at 9k miles. If the oil is looking bad (dirty or sheer) then it will be changed out.

When I used to browse the F250 board people were doing this and came up with about 15km before the oil started to get dirty and experience a lot of sheer. But they would still change the filter every 5 km and of course maintain the proper oil lvl.

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I second the request to see the oil analysis results! I have previously posted data on Prius used oil analyses, but have not yet seen one from a very young engine. Your 1st oil change results will be VERY interesting.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Tadashi, don't forget, your warranty required 5K mile oil changes. After 60K (or longer if you have extended warranty), then you can do what you want.

Popoff, $28 total sounds pretty good for a dealer. It cost me $52 total for oil change and tire rotate. they just raised their prices.

8. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hhhmmm Even with the oil analysis results? I did not get the extended warranty.

9. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, you got hit by a stealership. I would certainly give a call to corporate regarding the discrepancy between the phone quote and the charges made on the actual job. I would also complain about overfill, that isn't appropriate either.. So, do you have overfill?

Corporate has to know about this, or else dealers will never raise their own bar.

10. Denny_A

Denny_A New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeromep\";p=\"99490)</div>
    Is this a call for a "No dealership left-behind" program. I want a Voucher if my dealer doesn't make the grade!

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi\";p=\"99476)</div>
    As a friend at church who is also a mechanic says: oil is cheap, engines are expensive. Even if the oil condition doesn't cause an otherwise warranyable engine repair, as unlikely as such a required repair would be, do you want to fight Toyota over it?

12. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    good point. I will still post my oil analysis reports so everyone can see the results and maybe compare to someone who is doing dino.

13. dupreesdiamond

dupreesdiamond Junior Member

I am sure I pissed off my dealership for my first oil change. First they attempted to charge me for 5 quarts of oil. Had a nice chat with the MGR about that. Then I noticed they overfilled (slightly but over is over) so I made them remove the excess.

Next time I will be taking in my own oil and filter and requesting .5 quart back.

That was 3 weeks ago, I put 3K miles on since so I should be back in for the 10K change shortly.

14. metamatic

metamatic Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Just had my 10K service--oil and oil filter change, 27 point inspection. $19.95.

Sounds like some folks are really being reamed.

15. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I sent an email to the service manager of my dealer. It was really starting to bug me that I paid more for an oil change because I thought they would be more knoweldgeable about the Prius than the other oil change businesses since they sold me the car. I told him about the techs have less knowledge about the car than me and the mistakes in the oil change (amount and invoice charges). Maybe he will fix the problem. I do not mind paying a little more but they better live up to it by offering better serivce.