1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It appears we have a troll

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by aminorjourney, Feb 1, 2007.

1. aminorjourney

aminorjourney Mum to two prius!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A nasty, icky, homophobic, idiot of a Troll.

Perhaps someone would like to hit the 'delete' button on the account of KillSwitchTenderFoot?

I'd squish them between my finger and thumb but troll goo isn't very nice :D :D

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Don't feed the troll.
    Ignore the troll.
    He has been reported and will be gone soon enough.

3. aminorjourney

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Feb 1 2007, 08:27 AM) [snapback]383756[/snapback]</div>
    Jolly good!

Yes, I did see the no Troll-Feeding signs ;)

4. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He sort of reminds me of the one that haunted GreenHybrid last week.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Allow me to shed some light on this.

This is not the first time that group of members from an other car forum has decided to launch an orchestrated attack against PriusChat. As you can guess, they are the muscle-car, racing, and SUV drivers of America. Immature though they are.

Evan and tag are apparently better than I in locating their places of origin (they will have to teach me how they do it). With the administration tools we have, we can track down email accounts, IP addresses, and other bits of posting info to suspend, delete, and/or ban them - which we do promptly.

Additionally, once we (they) have established without doubt that they have intentionally organized the attack, Evan joins the offending forum and sends a PM to that board's Moderating team. This is a Moderator-to-Moderator message letting them know what their members are up to. In every case, the Mods are embarrassed and irritated by the behavior of their members, and usually suspend them from their own forum for a series of days.

Last night, that's exactly what happened. It appears that two individuals from a forum started a thread discussing how they would join PriusChat and stir things up. In only a matter of minutes, they were posting over there about how they were very quickly banned over here. :D

That was attack number one. After which Evan reached out to their Moderators and the insulting individuals were suspended. I'm suspecting that one of them was irritated that he got in trouble so he launched attack number two in the wee early hours of the morning (CST). This morning, I checked in, received something like 25 reports of a troll, and promptly cleaned up the mess. Also, he's been banned. Again.

6. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the hard work you guys do in keeping our board a 'no trolls zone', and thanks for the people who reported the trolls.

7. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not familiar with this boards software but with phpnuke that I use for one of my sites it will list the referring URL in the board settings. For an example if the trolls posted a link like this http://www.priuschat.com in their forum and someone clicks on it it would then show up in the referring URLs on this board. The referring URL would look something like this http://www.trollsaregay.com/index.php?post...mp;topic=123456. This would be the link back to the trolls original post in their own forum. This makes it easy to find out where and who.

To make things a lot more fun I can track what IP viewed what pages and where it came from on my site. If you have access to an IP/Time/referring URL you can have loads of fun tracking someone. :ph34r: ;)

I'm glad to hear the trolls got banned from their site. :lol: Now if we could just call their moms and get them grounded. :lol:

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Feb 1 2007, 09:48 AM) [snapback]383866[/snapback]</div>
    Now THAT would be helpful...Danny, you out there?

9. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd love to see a site that boards like PriusChat could report trollers on a database. If it turned out there are serial (and I know of one), forum blacklisting, termination of their internet privileges, trouble from their employer if they do it from their, and legal action may result.

I'd love to see how pale and scared there trollers are when it gets them in serious trouble.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just FYI, 4 trollers from the offending site have been suspended. One member from there came to apologize and extended an olive branch to participate on their site. Glad to see that the Prius hate isn't a universal...I think car enthusiast are a pretty similar bunch in general and when one group attacks another it reflects poorly on all 'car people'.

11. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Feb 1 2007, 12:48 PM) [snapback]383866[/snapback]</div>
    That is kinda scary in a "big brother" kind of way.

12. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Feb 1 2007, 05:55 PM) [snapback]384144[/snapback]</div>
    Yes its very scary. The internet is not as anonymous as you may think.

I've only tracked a few people just to see how far I could go. I never really had any problem users with my phpnuke site because of the security I put in place.

I have some software that will detect sql injections, email harvesters, and some other bad stuff and ban the IP at the server level. Banning at the server level basically means that the person trying to get into my domain will be stopped way before they hit the served pages. Its like they got stopped at the guard door a mile away. :D

So far I have a list of about a 100 IPs that either were email harvesters, script kiddies with their sql injection attempt, or just aggressive indexers similar to google.

I've never actually had to ban anyone myself. I'm not saying my site is hacker proof but so far its keeping out all the crap I dont want. Its not a very popular site either so I guess that helps out a little in keeping out the bad guys. Its just a site for a local go-kart track.

I personally welcome anyone here as long as they follow the rules and not be trolls. The only people I dont respect the ones that have no respect for anyone.

13. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Rather than being upset or offended by the posts in question, I was rather bemused at the amount of time said individual(s) spent on their "attack". It's like the guys who write "Suck my ****" on the bathroom stalls. You can't help but think, "How pathetic, guess they can't get a date so here they are getting their jollies by writing on the walls."

14. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    One common trait of all trollers seems to be an inferiority complex. You rarely see trollers from forums for high-end vehicles - even against each other (Porsche Cayenne vs. BMW X5 for example). Only people who are worried about what other might think of them and the vehicle they bought seem to troll.

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Can you find a way to do the same to Spammers?

16. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    force, it sounds like you're the type of guy that I need to take a look at the PriusChat server settings.

That referral tool is really interesting, and I'll see if there is anything compatible with the IPB software.

I haven't been on during this whole troll mess, so I echo the "thank yous" in this thread for our great moderation team.

17. aminorjourney

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Feb 2 2007, 05:14 AM) [snapback]384271[/snapback]</div>

You know, I think I met one of the real-life trollers the other day. I was driving my all-electric car down the road and some idiot in a muscle car was riding my bumper and revving their engine.

*sigh*

I'd also like to thank the guys and girls who moderate these forums to make them all nice and troll free. Thanks!