1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It feels like I have to push the gas pedal harder to get up to speed.

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HoytHoytHoyt, Mar 25, 2013.

1. HoytHoytHoyt

HoytHoytHoyt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The temperature has been in the lower 50's here in Atlanta. My C has 15,200 miles on it and it seems like I have to push the gas pedal alittle harder than normal to get it up to normal driving speed. My trip to work is 14 miles, Im usually getting 54 mpg, but over the last month it has been struggling to get past 50 mpg. Ive brought it to the dealer and they of course tell me that everything checks out ok, but I know its not running like it use to be. Im tryhing to blame it on weather, but for some reason I feel thats not the case.

2. X HCH2

X HCH2 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It drives like that in ECO. Normal. Check that.
    X

3. dick_larimore

dick_larimore Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As others have pointed out, make sure there is no obstruction of the cooling air vent for the high voltage battery back (driver side below the rear seat.

4. HoytHoytHoyt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It hasn't been in ECO mode. The vent is totally free and clear.

5. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is it raining? That will account for the difference.
    Have you checked the tire pressure?

6. HoytHoytHoyt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Will the CPU account for weather change? How long will the CPU take to adjust to normal weather? 50 miles? Its suppose to be warming up here by the end of the week. It hasnt been raining. Is there such a thing as a CPU reset so it can relearn my driving habits or for the weather change? I just had it in for its 15k service and all of the tires are set to 38psi all the way around.

7. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My first thought was also ECO mode.

I'd up that tire pressure a bit, personally.

And, wait, the cooling vent for the battery is under the DRIVER? I thought it was under the passenger seat and the jack or somesuch was under the driver's seat...

Also, that slight a dip in MPGs certainly could be due to colder weather. In my experience, temps in the 50s yield MPGs in the 50s (sometimes with a struggle). I get really good mileage in the 60s, great in 70s and above.

8. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    dick_larimore mentioned it was "driver side below the rear seat", which is correct. The battery vent is under the rear seat, on the left-side of the vehicle (driver's side for the US, passenger side for us). Yes, this is the same side as the jack under the front seat (under the driver's seat in the US, under the front passenger seat for us).

The difference between 50 and 54 mpg is nothing in my opinion... I have variations larger than that every day.

9. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I see that just based on weather alone. I can get over 60 when the weather is above 50, but below that and I struggle to get over 50...:oops:

10. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Battery vent is on left side... okay, I've been keeping the rear right side clear. And vent is under back seat not front seat. Sorry for derailing the OP.

11. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no adjustment for weather. Colder temps = lower engine efficiency and energy siphoned to heat the cabin. Simple laws of physics.