1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

it follows me everywhere...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by galaxee, Oct 29, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i'm sure i'm not the only one.

you go somewhere to do one thing and end up talking about your car, or hybrids in general, or something of the like.

so i went to this cannabinoid meeting yesterday and drove because it was only an hour away. i ended up having to follow someone else's group to get to the keynote address/dinner thing after the main sessions were over (lack of printed directions), and of course they noticed i drove a prius. so one of them asks how i like it and that gets the ball rolling.

i comment on how the driver i followed had a nice car (one of those mercedes suv's) and he replied with a rant about how it literally sucked (gas, that is). and how he was talking about replacing it with a highlander. so i casually mention, well if you're going to do that and you want a bit better gas mileage why not a highlander hybrid?

and he was a victim of those hybrid myths- he told me he'd heard you have to replace the batteries every 4 years and was stunned to find out how long they're actually warranted and actually last longer. so this gets the dinner conversation going, after discussing research and the like the discussion goes back to hybrids. of course, this is after i get one more expert's opinion on my project. :D

and i'm thinking, wow, we're all here to discuss cannabinoid research and collaborate and whatnot, and here i am spreading the word about hybrids. how ridiculous is that?

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My wife is quick to point out the difference between my starting the conversation about hybrids versus my answering other's questions about hybrids.
    The way I see it, if they asked about it and brought it up, then you're good to go as long as they are interested. That's how I interpreted your story. It doesn't sound to me as though you forced it on them.

And yeah, I've had long-time friends bring it up at parties and dinners and such. I try to answer their questions without embellishing to avoid the possibility of overpowering the conversation.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Mea culpa: I often steer a conversation to the Prius. But I do get into conversations from time to time where someone else brings it up.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I freak out the people I routinely hang out with when someone new joins in and I don't segway the discussion to hybrids. They've discovered through me just how easy it is to bring up that topic, especially with gas price instability. So you actually have to go out of your way to prevent it.

Our society is built upon the very consumption we are struggling with now. So aspects of that can be found just about everywhere. It's like trying to avoid any discussion that mentions money. That's surprisingly difficult.

It turns into a game sometimes. One of your friends will finally cave, knowing the hybrid discussion was inevitable anyway. So you have to be tactful with your response. When they provide the opportunity, choose your words wisely. If done well, you'll be allowed to indulge.

5. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In the almost 4 months since I have owned my Prius others have started the conversation in the following places:

Work... they noticed I got a new car

Drug store...lady asked me how I liked the hybrid, she was thinking of getting one, how much did it cost

Grocery store parking lot...Do you like your hybrid...how much did it cost

Home Depot, picking up a generator...This generator will never fit in that little car, what kinda car is that, one of those electric things you plug in? What kind of gas mileage do you really get? Oh, wait, the generator will fit after all

I bring it up all the time whenever someone complains about the price of gas or the gas mileage they are getting :D

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to get off topic, but how can I get an invite to one of these cannabanoid meetings! LOL!

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Trust Evan to steer the topic off page :lol:

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 29 2006, 10:58 AM) [snapback]340280[/snapback]</div>
    oh there were plenty of jokes- especially in the afternoon session when people were presenting their studies in human marijuana users- don't get me wrong :lol:

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can understand you driving TO a cannabinoid meeting, but home again? I hope there was lots of coffee and snacks afterwards. :rolleyes:

PS Where do you tell DH you're going? :p

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, none of that sort around here lol. People must be friendlier where you live.

11. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My speech is almost on REPEAT everytime someone brings interest. Almost always the same questions...

12. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Cannabinoid research...is that what they're calling it these days? I suppose discussing the shapes of clouds and Doritos vs. Pop Tarts is also on the agenda of those "meetings"?

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    how'd i know i'd get lots of comments on where i went yesterday...

14. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've has so many inquires at gas stations, I just put the website I frequent and tell them they can get all their hybrid FAQs answered.

Anyone eles do this?

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 29 2006, 09:01 PM) [snapback]340431[/snapback]</div>
    umm...ya...you had to know that was coming. :D

Turn about is fair play. Think of it as your opportunity to educate the Prius people about your research. You could enlighten us about medicinal use and treatments for fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, and...what was the other one?...oh yeah... alzheimer's. :)

16. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hyo, you always make me laugh :lol:

well if people are genuinely interested i'll be happy to discuss. since the cannabinoid signaling system is involved in regulating so many processes its therapeutic potential is astronomical... but so is the potential for side effects not specific to the condition of interest.

17. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 30 2006, 08:12 PM) [snapback]341113[/snapback]</div>
    hmmmmm that'd be chocolate muffins, the condition of interest. best make 2 dozen.

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chocolate muffins! :p

Oh man, do you ever have the wrong thread. :)

19. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Oh dear, we're talking about muffins again?

Hyo, you beat me to it!