1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It is time to say goodbye to my 2001 prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by AlexY, Sep 2, 2021.

1. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For last 3 years I was replacing failing HV battery modules with gen 2 type, done 4 of them. Recently I've noted car is doing balance charge so I removed battery to replace module before it fail. Found no obvious dying one and as it was school holiday, car was unused, I've performed balancing and individual module capacity test.
    [​IMG]
    Top 4 are gen 2 modules, all old ones measure around 1Ah with ~0.7A discharge current. So I need 34 modules, gen 2 used ones would be £850, no matching and unknown life left, 3-rd party packs ~£2000. I don't see economical way of doing that so only option is to scrap it and get gen 2.
    I'm sad as I really like this one.

WHCSC and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    au revoir mon ami!

3. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure if you can buy an OEM Toyota battery from a Toyota dealer in the UK, but if you can and do the work yourself, it's the best option. You will need to swap over the relay module and ECU from the old core, which isn't very difficult. Cost about the same or may even be cheaper than an after market rebuilt battery, and should last much longer with new cells.

4. adrian-gregory

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Can anyone please advise on the cost of a new battery pack from Toyota UK?

5. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know pricing in UK, but In my part of the US, they tend to range in price from $1850 to $2300. (Does not include $1350 core charge.) Must be picked up at the dealership, Toyota will not ship, because battery is considered hazmat.

I found this by searching for the Part Number: G951047020

G951047020 - Battery assembly, hv supply. Hybrid, charge, electrical - Genuine Toyota Part

(Note, don't perform this job unless you have experience working around dangerous high voltage. Removing the service plug breaks the circuit, but there's still potential high voltage if the battery cables going to the relay are shorted. The OEM battery I got came with new cables separate from the battery.)

#5 ammdb, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  6. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would agree if this is only issue with this car, but it is 20 years old, for now it also need new brake calipers, sliding pins stuck and they use one pad only, not expensive and easy to do but I'm pretty sure if I touch one part I will end up replacing everything up to brake pump, randomly remote control is working or not, possibly fixed it but will know in few weeks. In process of remote issue repair I've broke centre console plastic.

ammdb likes this.
  7. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got reply from toyota in this matter, there is an answer:

mroberds and Rmay635703 like this.
  8. adrian-gregory

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Thanks I was quoted on Thursday £1454 inc vat from a local Toyota Garage inc vat,