1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It killed the 12v battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by John CCP, Feb 25, 2007.

1. John CCP

John CCP New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A few day ago, I came home from shopping and removed the purchases from the trunk. Two days later, I went to start the car, and nothing happened. Thinking the Smart Key may have malfunctioned, I went back into the house, and got the other one. It didn't work either. The hatch would not open, but it felt as if there were some "play" in the hatch itself, so I then crawled into the trunk and released the hatch by following the directions in the manual. There didn't seem to be anything wrong with the release, but the dome lights wouldn't light and it dawned on me that the 12 v. battery was dead. I had to join AAA to get a jump (under the hood) and the car has acted normally from then on. I put a voltmeter on the jump points after driving 30 miles and it read 12.35 volts. I checked the hatch and it seemed to have the same "play" as before, so I opened it and discovered what I think was the problem all along. The nylon tab for the "luggage storage box" was positioned toward the rear of the vehicle and it was keeping the hatch from closing tightly. The luggage compartment light must have been on for two days and drained the battery. I tucked the tab under the mat, so it couldn't prevent the hatch from closing tightly. Today, I drove another 30+ miles and checked the 12 v. battery voltage an hour after getting home and it read 12.65, so I guess it is getting charged from the alternator? I bought the car in Sept. 06.
    Should I purchase a trickle charger (3.5 amps max) or will the battery survive the insult?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's no alternator, the 12v is charged via the traction battery.

You're probably ok and don't need a trickle charger, but some folks have reported that their 12v never acted teh same once it was completely drained as you described. That back hatch seems to be the most common source of problems with the 12v.

3. John CCP

John CCP New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 25 2007, 09:06 PM) [snapback]396483[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for your reply. As a precaution, I have the light in the luggage compartment switched off.