1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It sounds like it must be the Brake Actuator/Booster, C1319

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Brunto, Oct 2, 2024 at 7:03 PM.

1. Brunto

Brunto New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    2013 Prius C
    195k miles
    Houston, TX
    No major repairs
    New NiMH battery as of Feb 2024
    Significant FL quarter-panel damage from a side-swipe
    Error code C1319

So about a week ago, the brake pedal lost almost all of its resistance while driving. I assumed master cylinder, but in researching, looks like for a Prius, it's actually the brake actuator/booster. [Master cylinder is contained inside the BA, I guess?]

I understand the code specifically identifies a detected leak/loss of pressure inside the unit. I also understand this could either be inside the actuator or the pump/accumulator.

I've watched a few videos, and the replacement doesn't look overly advanced. Tedious and long, but doable. It's the calibration at the end of the process that all of the DiY video-ers discourage for at-home repairs. Everyone says you really need to take this in to get it done. And that appears to mean anywhere from $1500-$4k, depending.

I've got a handful of questions:
    • Is 200k nearing EoL for a Prius C?
    • In anyone's opinion, is a likely $2k+ repair worth it, at this point? Or is this the beginning of a series of failures, now that my car is this old?
    • Or... (and this is my hope... haven't had a car note in 8 years), do these little buggers typically chug along for 250k, like many Toyotas?
    Or...
    • Is this a doable repair in my driveway?
    • If I buy a Techstream device, can a rank amateur work out the bleeding down and calibration of the brake lines?
    • I see most Techstream devices are pretty friggin' expensive. Are there any devices that would accomplish this that aren't going to break my small bank?
    • It looks like the parts (when bought through reputable sources) average about $1400 together. Any pro-tips on affordably sourcing these parts?

Thanks a ton for reading and helping!!
    Grace and peace,
    Matt