1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It was a dark and stormy night . . .

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bwilson4web, Dec 23, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    About a month ago, I noticed a slight 'thump thump' at speeds under 20 and started thinking either tire or wheel bearing. Turns didn't seem to change the sound/feel but it always smoothed out over 30 mph. I could not see anything visibly wrong with the tires other than the front pair needed to be replaced. Wear otherwise looked normal. But Monday night, I needed to pickup my laptop computer at work and my wife and her two dogs came along.

It was midnight when we left but for good measure, I felt around the tires and could feel nothing. Overcast, storms were predicted and were on the radar west of us. We walked the dogs; got the computer, and; Holly said she'd like a nightcap. So we went to a local bar and had a good time. Got back in the car, backed up less than 2 ft and 'poof' a cloud of white power flew from the passenger side, front tire:
    [​IMG]
    As I was getting the tire off, a brief 'sprinkling' occurred and not having a hat, I borrowed one of my wife's wigs (sorry, no selfie and she forget about her cell phone camera:)
    [​IMG]

Lessons learned:
    • replace that poor excuse for a jack with a Harbor Freight, mini-shop version
    • store a rain-resistant, hooded, wind-breaker, bright yellow or orange with tire
    • Anderson connector for UPS inverter worked perfectly so I could get to the tire
    Everything worked out fine. The spare tire was (is) low but our 12V air-pump will fix that soon enough. I'll order a pair to replace the front tires, take metrics, and continue the experiment.

Bob Wilson

PriusCamper likes this.
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Also add a small, unopened package of wet-wipes to the kit.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent addition.
    While you're at the Freight, pick up one of their semi-disposable flashlights/headlamps as well.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh you crazy kids...

5. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Good thing you weren't moving at any rate of speed when it blew.

Getting the same brand of tire, or...?

6. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    It's also very nice to have some gloves in your kit to save your hands on cold wet evenings.

Capture.JPG

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't commented on here in a year... My Prius is so reliable I got bored, nothing ever breaks... But I couldn't resist commenting on this one... I must say the tread depth on that tire is even less than my low budget hippy business would allow. You're a brave man to drive around with almost no tread on your tires. Or maybe there's a better word to use than brave? LOL!!! As for the jack, one of the first things I did when a got a used Prius with 100K on it a few years ago was use it to jack up a big huge fallen apple tree, then put a big rock under it. I have a really nice twist in the jack crank now and I still have big huge apples in the Summer too.

8. irrational

irrational Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How many miles were on those tires? Also, which make & model?

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's a good idea!

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is a little rainy but when it dries out, I'll do a full write-up on the tires. It is part of a long-term study of an alternate rotation approach.

I'm testing the European approach where tires are not rotated front-and-back. The theory is the front tires wear first and are replaced by the rear with new tires put on the rear. This changes from the four-tires-at-once over to a two-tires-more-often. I also want the tread depth to evaluate how the last alignment matched the wear pattern.

You are correct, I knew the front tires needed replacement which is part of the protocol and was planning one soon. Just I failed to recognize the pending tire failure in spite of the symptom, my bad.

One lesson learned is the tire models change faster than tires wear out. I started my tire experiments with Sumitomo T4s that had a 51 psi sidewall rating. But they are no longer available with this psi rating in the USA.

Also, doing a pair at a time actually makes evaluation of different make/model tires somewhat practical. The front tires handle the majority of the load and most of the handling characteristics. So a 'new' model tire can come in as a single pair for an affordable price and if they don't work out . . . not a whole lot was risked. A second pair for A-B-A testing can come in and give us hard numbers in place of the sales-man-sh*t.

It will also give a chance to revisit how the rear storage, tire-well, and 110VAC inverter hook-up should work. The NHW11 had a ready space above the 12V battery. In contrast, the hatchback came more 'space efficient' making integration more challenging.

Bob Wilson

11. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What was the depth? I am on the last 3/32 on the factory Toyo's. 46.5K. We are in a drought. :p

12. Nutstoyou

Nutstoyou Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bob,

Can you show a pic the the Harbor Freight mini-shop version you mentioned in your post?

13. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like the initial tire noise was broken belt(s). Once I had a "noisy" tire that blew up like that on hwy. Very scary and dangerous, fortunately it was a rear tire and I didn't lose control of the car.

14. mypriuscious

mypriuscious Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Those harbor freight jacks are top notch! Though you need to add hydraulic fluid after the purchase. It is one of the most reliable items harbor freight sells.

15. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    link to the jack?

BION

16. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  17. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    wow, that's way to big & heavy for carrying around every day/

irrational likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Plus things might get interesting in a collision, all that semi-restrained mass.

The scissor jack will do the job. It's lousy even for a scissor jack, due to a (easily corrected) design decision, namely the unstable link at the screw end. But it's securely stowed, light.

19. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base