1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Italian tune-up, Running the car hard once in a while?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bentbow, Sep 29, 2018.

1. bentbow

bentbow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Asking for my Prius and my Camry. I've heard conflicting opinions on this but the thought process is the engine never gets worked hard and therefore some carbon and oil build-up can occur and doesn't get burned off without high revving High temperature from driving the car at Redline. On my Camry the Redline is at 8 but I rarely go above 3. And a similar lack of high RPM on my Prius.

I really baby my cars and I just want to be sure I'm not damaging them by not driving hard enough often enough. Thanks

mjoo and Starship16 like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure of the efficacy, but one way to do this: find a steep up-hill drive, the longer the better. Like a treadmill for cars.

3. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I like that, "Italian tuneup." :ROFLMAO:

When I was working, I only lived 3 miles from work. So I would get out on the weekends and take an hour long freeway drive in my car, just to blow out the cobwebs.:LOL:

Now being retired, I should probably do the same in my Prius.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our daughter-in-law is Italian ancestry. We loaned our 2010 to them when they were having car troubles, she drove it mostly I believe. Mpg took a bit of a hit for that tank, but next tank, back in our hands, was really picked up.

upload_2018-9-29_9-55-20.png

It happened to be the tank where I also had added fuel injector cleaner, so maybe a one-two punch??

#4 Mendel Leisk, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The consensus I get from here is that oil burning are from hard driving / acceleration. Italian tune up would be suicidal for the engine. Proper maintenance is all you need, manifold EGR.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't necessarily buy into the run the car hard theory.
    First of all, my thinking is with a CVT transmission or with the Prius eCVT transmission, running red line is difficult as the Continuous Variable Transmission is by design made to try to keep the RPM and output in the most efficient ratio. It's kind of designed to NOT red line.

I do buy into running a vehicle at highway speeds for X amount of time. If I've been driving a lot city, stop and go, I try to take a highway based road trip, that will keep the vehicle at highway speeds for a couple of hours or more.

But I don't think this has to be "damaging" or HARD driving. I think it's good to get your engine up to highway running speeds, and highway running temperatures, for the same reasons given for "driving it hard".

Starship16 likes this.
  7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think a good hard run has more benefits for older engine designs that aren't really with us anymore.

In a Prius there's a computer between your foot and the throttle anyway. I've chosen to trust that the computer is exercising the engine exactly as much as it needs.

The modern equivalent would be to make a point of driving it on multiple road types: controlled access freeways as well as hilly twisty back roads.

mjoo, jerrymildred and Starship16 like this.
  8. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just completed 85 miles on the freeway. Maintained 70-74 mph. That's my weekend "blowout" of mice & spiders. ;)

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    One thing I'll add- specific to certain newer vehicles, possibly including the camry originally mentioned?

Some modern engines use variable valve timing keyed to a certain RPM. If you are always operating below this threshold, the system isn't exercised.

10. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Unlike non-hybrid ICE cars, the Prius keeps the engine closer to the maximum load and efficiency. Especially for gen. 4, when the engine's running, it's running at high load - both moving the car and charging the battery. The stronger the electrical side of the hybrid is the harder the engine works.

So I would only be concerned with engine maintenance. Keep the EGR and PCV systems clean and clear. Also run top tier gas with occasional fuel system cleaners. This will make the cylinders run cool and carbon free. And just drive it.

Pixel XL ?

#10 mjoo, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Take on a steep up-hill, best way to get the revs up.

CR94 likes this.