1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Itronics ITB-100HD DIY dash cam install (instructions for hardwiring + pics + videos)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by ucsmfu, Dec 11, 2012.

1. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The installation was pretty easy, took me about 45 min- 1 hour

Tools needed for the install:
    - flashlight
    - pry tools
    - plier
    - microfiber cloths
    - voltmeter
    - 10 mm socket
    - electrical tape (optional)
    - 3M velcro double side tape (optional)
    - add a circuit (optional)

[​IMG]

here's everything that it comes with, uninterrupted unit (optional) for hard wiring and parking mode

[​IMG]

Step 1:

- open box, check and make sure that all the accessories are there
    - open all the wrappings and paper
    - install the sd card into the Itronics unit
    - install the Itronics mount onto the unit, there's a black screw that you have to undo first

Step 2:

- connect the power adapter to the unit.
    - locate where you would like to mount the dash cam first, I put mine just below the tinted area of the rear view mirror. Please do not peel off the 3M double side tape yet, I made that mistake and it was super hard to remove it. just use some masking tape or for me I used velcro and play around with the location you would like to mount it.

Step 3: once you mount the dash cam to a location you like, start tucking the wire along the left side of the plastic housing and window rubber insulating strips along the left side, you can just tuck it in all the way down the driver side where you see the rubber insulating strips, it's pretty simple, the wires just tuck in, and run it all the way down to the parking brake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- can use a pry to pull the plastic off a bit or use it to tuck the wires in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 4:

- Take the uninterrupted power and choose the settings that you would like. My Prius battery was 12.32 when I tested it, my settings were for the uninterrupted power adapter to shut off when my battery drops down to 11.8 v or when it runs for 24 hours straight during parking mode, but obviously you guys can decide what suits your needs best.

Here's a diagram

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 5:

- Locate your interior fuse box, which is right underneath your steering wheel and it has a white cover
    - Take your voltmeter to test for which fuse is live while your car is turned off and which fuse has no power when the car is off. Black tip goes to a ground screw, and use the red tip to tap the metal part of the fuse
    - In the fuse cover diagram, all the fuses in the middle column + the last 2 fuses in the right row delivers 12.32 V, the rest of the fuse in the first column and 3rd column is at 0.00 V.

- The instructions that came with the manual gives you some examples of fuses where you can connect the red and yellow wire.

Yellow wire (Power)- I tapped this wire to the right rear door fuse.
    Red wire (ACC)- I tapped this wire to the ECU-IG No.1 fuse
    Black wire (ground)- I tapped this wire to the metal screw near the brake pedal

- Use a plier and carefully clip the fuse and gently pull it out, once you pull it out, you wrap one end of the wire around the right side (metal piece of the fuse), than gently push it back into the location you pulled it out from. or you can also use add a circuit. Make sure you add the fuse though with the correct amps on it.

- After all the wires are connected, you can gently close the cover back, your wires might stick out abit, you can use some electrical tape to tape up the cover if you feel the cover will fall.

- Lastly when you got the uninterrupted adapter working, you can plug in the ac adapter into the uninterrupted adapter and a red light should go on, meaning that your getting power.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 6: make sure that the wires are nicely wrapped, you can just a zip tie to put everything together than you can gently put it behind/beside the parking brake behind the black cover housing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- a green light should appear, and you will get a few beeps, press the mic button in order to record sound, than it should start recording if your sd card was put in the beginning.

- Finally you can start making final adjustments with the wiring, locating of the dash cam etc...

[​IMG]

Step 7: Test it out, go for a drive, make sure recording, parking mode, and mic/sound all work. The Itronics module will automatically switch to parking mode after 5 min of inactivity.

- Final Product, clean install, no wires running everywhere

- Pics of the cam installed from multiple angles, Enjoy !!! pm me if you need any help in any of the steps or if your unsure about something.

I've been running it for the whole day now, everything works. I had it running on parking mode 12 hours, battery was fine, still fully charged when I got into the car, no overheating, 100% satisfied and I really enjoy it :0

GPS location with google maps, software, english manuals, everything is including in the SD card it came with. You can change the settings etc... I have everything set on normal mode.

-Below you will also find a 1080p video in night mode, will upload daytime mode asap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Videos

(Daytime)

(Night mode)

(Parking mode)

2. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ucsmfu, Great post!

ucsmfu likes this.
  3. El Nino

El Nino Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow...great write up E! May have to get one of these.

ucsmfu likes this.
  4. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nice work E. (y)

5. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    thank you. great write up. how hidden is it? are you concerned that someone will smash your windshield to grab it, like gps smash and grabs? are you considering one for the rear?

group buy? :LOL:

mnml likes this.
  6. mnml

mnml Ain't nobody got time for that.

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the detailed DIY post. It looks great! A few questions for ya...How long is each recording file? Is there any pause in recording when the recorder creates another file? Is the software compatible with a MAC?

7. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    quote="wotcher, post: 1698365, member: 88411"]thank you. great write up. how hidden is it? are you concerned oncerned that someone will smash your windshield to grab it, like gps smash and grabs? are you considering one for the rear?

group buy?, and :LOL:[/quote]
    I'm not too concerned. It's not really visible from the outside. I'm planning to add some black taped around the dash cam for a stealth look. Plus if you use the 3m double side tape. That thing will need 5-10 min to remove it. By that time with my compustar alarm. The thief will be crapping his pants or ill be there. I'm thinking of adding a rear one but probably a cheaper one from alibaba

8. jmrmotorhead

jmrmotorhead Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So cool. I want!

9. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great job!

Once concern I did have is the airbag. When you tuck the wire under the A-pillar cap, aren't you potentially interfering with airbag operations? It's a concern I had when I installed my BlackVue in my RAV4 (so I just tucked).

Also, if you can add some links for the products you used (especially the add-a-fuse, I had trouble locating this one and the camera), that would be awesome. Thanks again for posting!

10. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey, I tucked the wire basically along the weather strip, so I'm pretty sure it won't interfere with the air bag, I didn't use add-a-fuse, I just tied the wire around the fuse.

Cheers !!!

11. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have the same dash cam... in the box at the moment. I was wondering why didn't you just tap into the wiring at the rearview mirror? That's how I'm planning on doing it (once the weather warms up a bit LOL).

12. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    you will love the dash cam, awesome quality, there are many places you can tap the wires to :p

13. juejaimon

juejaimon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What are you guys using this for? To record the roads you are on?

14. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I like gadgets. I just want another piece of technology :)

99.9% of the time it's useless but maybe I'll catch something interesting on video.

ucsmfu likes this.
  15. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The things I see on my commute are so crazy, I decided to start recording. Combine that with the fact that there are many people on the road who shouldn't be, it's a tiny investment for important evidence which you will hopefully never need. But mostly to catch the crazy stuff :)

sfv41901 and ucsmfu like this.
  16. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    aha, yes i agree with you, I caught soo many illegal stuff on the road ><

17. juejaimon

juejaimon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i like gadgets also..i will consider one. i'm sure i will encounter a lot of police cars doing hollywood stops!

18. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    yes me too, you will love the dash cam, plus you get the piece of mind if you ever get into an accident that is not your fault :p

19. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is the key........a lot of people that are guilty of causing an accident usually want to blame other drivers.

20. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

sfv41901 likes this.