1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Its a Mini-minivan

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DC Fat Cat, May 31, 2004.

1. DC Fat Cat

DC Fat Cat New Member

Hi all,

I got really lucky and found a Prius after a couple weeks of looking. I purchased through the Congressional Federal Credit Union and they found the vehicle at Jerry's Toyota just north of Baltimore. Evidently there was no one who was on the waiting list for a white #9 and one was coming in on the June delivery. So if anyone out there is looking for the same car they might have one for their July delivery that is not spoken for.

I put just over 100 miles on it over the weekend and have averaged 49.2mpg so far. I love it. Its a very drastic change for my wife and I going from a 2002 Subaru WRX. That is a fast car that begs to be driven to the max. Already we feel more relaxed driving the Prius with a take your time attitude.

We keep calling it the "Mini-minivan," which is really what it feels like and looks like from the inside, besides the obligatory references to Star Trek.

So far my only complaint is that the throtle seems to be too sensitive. Its difficult to keep it in that "sweet spot" (I guess some people refer to it as stealth). If it was less sensitive I think it would be easier. I let off the gas at cruising speed and then just barely touch the gas to hit those high mpg figures. I did have a chance to use the cruise control and it is more efficient than I am by several mpg so whenever possible I'll use it.

Other than that kudos to Toyota for a great car.

2. Marg

Marg New Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's a great car, but it would be nice if the pedal were a little less sensitive. My foot is sore from trying to keep it in the optimal zone all the time.

We've had our car for 6 days and we're loving it so far... Hope you keep liking your car, too.

Margaret

3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm sure your control of the pedal will improve as you become accustomed to the feel of it.

4. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

Thanks! I've been looking for the perfect license plate frame. Here's what I see:

"My Enviro-Friendly

50 MPG Mini-Minivan"

Shall I go for it?

Any suggestions?

By the way, my gas pedal is sort of the opposite of yours. When I'm holding a speed of say, 55 mph and choose to drop it down to say, 53 mph (Strictly enforced 50 mph speed zone), I seem to have to back off on the gas pedal more than I feel should be necessary to make that transition. It seems to want to hold its speed once the speed is stabilized.

5. DC Fat Cat

DC Fat Cat New Member

I think I'm getting more used to it but it sure is sensitive.

I saw some talk about a switch that one could install to run on the electric motor only. Now I realize why people would want that. I took a 10 minute drive on Sunday to return a movie and averaged about 75mpg for the trip. The particular route I took is a very slight uphill grade going there and obviously a downhill return trip. The return trip I went almost all the way on just the electric motor. I bet I could have gone there on the electric as well if I had that EV switch installed...

...off to the modifications forum.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think your perception of pedal sensitivity just depends on what you are used to. On the rare occasions when I drive a rental car or a loaner it always feels wrong.

Costaltech sells an EV switch. There's been some discussion about whether it might void your warranty. I don't know if anyone knows for sure.

There have also been do-it-yourself instructions published, along with lots of warnings about the high voltages involved and the possibility of damage to the computer.

7. DC Fat Cat

DC Fat Cat New Member

Well I was driving a 2002 WRX before the Prius so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. There is no such thing a gentle application of the gas pedal in a WRX. Its either on or off. :mrgreen:

I looked at the EV switch posts. Nope, not for me. To complicated, to much time, to many chances of a F'd car. I'll wait and see if its an option on the 2005 and then maybe have a Toyota dealer install it.