1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's a Prius Miracle!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Phred, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Phred

Phred New Member

Kinda.

I was shocked and horrified yesterday when I saw my SmartKey fob at the bottom of the washing machine after unloading all the clothes into the dryer. Apparently, I was in such a hurry to get the laundry started, I neglected to carefully check all my pockets. :huh:

I was certain that after a soak, wash, rinse, and spin cycle, the SmartKey would never work again.

I waited impatiently for my husband to get home from work (with the Prius) and then I snuck out to try the fob. I wanted to make sure all hope was lost before admitting that I'd drowned the SmartKey.

Much to my delight and wonder, it worked perfectly! Not that I'd ever recommend cleaning your fob in the washing machine, but I'm impressed that it took such a licking and kept on ticking!. ;)

2. PapayaMom

PapayaMom New Member

Oh good!

That would have been a total bummer to explain to DH if it had been gonners :)

Kulia

3. telstar

telstar New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Phred @ Aug 9 2007, 02:23 PM) [snapback]493152[/snapback]</div>
    You may want to open the fob (strictly according to the instructions & admonitions in the manual :) and use a hair dryer on the interior to be sure all moisture has been removed from the innards. This will insure nothing will corrode later on ;) .

4. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the two fobs are identical and he can't tell the difference, you might consider switching yours and his sometime when he won't notice. That way if the washed one eventually succumbs to corrosion he will think it is his fault. <_<

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Eh. I wash mine all the time. It doesn't seem to care.

6. ohershey

ohershey New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(telstar @ Aug 9 2007, 02:03 PM) [snapback]493204[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Aug 9 2007, 02:19 PM) [snapback]493213[/snapback]</div>
    There is a little o-ring seal in there designed to make it "water proof", but that doesn't make telstar's suggestion a bad one. Water proof is not the same as water and agitation proof, and it never hurts to be sure a piece of electronics is dry. Instructions are here or in the manual on page 38.

7. jalima

jalima New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mad Hatter @ Aug 9 2007, 02:41 PM) [snapback]493224[/snapback]</div>
    I would discourage the use of a hair dryer, rather, leave the fob in a car on a warm day with the windows up. This will work for digital cameras or cordless home phones too. Although, I have needed to use a De-Oxedising cleaner to truly stop any corrosion on the circuit boards.

8. Phred

Phred New Member

Thanks for the advice and instructions!