1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's always something: accident

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by yeldogt, Aug 23, 2018.

1. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So my sister -- who hit a deer in my MB last year .... modified my old 2011 five w/ 214k the other night.
    She bumped into a truck in front of her at a light -- she said it had a tire on the back. Anyway .. no damage to the truck.

I'm surprised how difficult it is to find used parts for these things -- east coast. It's insured .. but I'm not going that route. Anyway -- the hood was pushed back and will not open .. and the bumper cover is toast. Obviously, the hinges are gone. My plan was to hunt down a hood w/ hinges and front crossmember above the radiator. Replace the cover -- maybe with pre-painted from e-bay (used before) She stopped at an auto body place -- they were at $2500 w/o opening the hood .... so it will be above that $$ going that route.

Both LED headlights look to have survived -- no cracks .. everything works.

Attached Files:

James Powers likes this.
  2. James Powers

James Powers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, you will probably have your best luck on Ebay.. I've checked around here (West Coast) just for the interior door panel and cant find one in good condition but did on Ebay.

Good thing those headlights are good, them things are expensive!

Glad no one got hurt tho.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure why I continue to ask this, but: insurance claim is not an option?

4. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Also having trouble nailing down the Toyota part number for the bumper cover -- mine is a Five. So it has the LED headlights with the washers .. but mine does not have the parking assist.

With all the white ones I see driving around -- My thought initially was finding one was going to be easy. Nope ....

I'm also trying to confirm the hoods are all the same for the 10/11/12 Gen 3's -- and not special for the LED equip.

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That would require picking up a phone and talking to a person, who’s going to want to do that this in age.

6. Ellawell

Ellawell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was going to suggest you try and bend it back. Until I look at the next pic and saw the whole hood seems dislodged. Sorry that happened to your baby

7. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Got Lucky: Was able to track down an excellent white hood w/ hinges at a local salvage yard and the full upper radiator rail with all brackets and the lock (e-bay). Honestly -- I think the cover could be fixed enough that from 5 feet it would look fine .. but.. for < $400 I'm going to order up a pre-painted bumper cover (ebay) .. for $100 will replace the front fog and turns w/ aftermarket (have a lot of sand blasting from road debris).

I'm going to need a few other minor items -- think it will still be under 1k .. not sure what my independent will charge to install. I'm guessing around 4 hours of labor.

Thankfully -- everything is working ... will not know if the fan shroud is OK until it's opened up. I'm surprised the cost of the salvage fans .. almost as much as the aftermarket units ... and I don't see them talked about as failing very often?

8. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    She is all pretty again. Since the car was drivable -- we were only w/o for a couple of days. My local independent charged me an hour of labor to align everything after I bolted in the replacement hood/hinges and upper radiator support. Can't say enough about the pre-painted bumper -- was able to transfer all the parts from the original over to the new cover .. and it popped right into place ($372 w/shipping) It's amazing how well the hood and bumper match the car's paint -- even the headlight washers and tow hook covers match extremely well to the new cover. The fog lights and turns could have been reused -- went with factory Valeo fogs and aftermarket turns to make it look all new. I cleaned up the LED headlights using the Sylvania Kit -- much easier vs the 3M I had used on another car. Had they been halogens -- for $200 ... I would have just replaced them with aftermarket. So far -- I'm in it for a bit less than $1200 .. I'm going to have it detailed and my paint-less dent guy take two small dents out of it .. so a few hundred more.

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk and davecook89t like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looks excellent!

Just to trot out my old bug-bear: why do we continue to call them 'bumpers"? :rolleyes:

10. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Modern cars really are marvels of engineering -- looking at the individual parts one wonders how they do so well in a crash.

The only metal in the whole bumper is a few screws holding on the lights and badge -- all the parts click together. In my case the actual metal reinforcement was fine as was the foam impact absorber.

The hood weighs nothing

Mendel Leisk likes this.