1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's here! First impressions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Begreen, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It took much longer at the dealer. There was a ton of paperwork involved and I didn't leave Portland until 3pm. I left in a bit of a hurry to get home. There is so much to learn about the car that I didn't test all the features and fuel economy at many cruise control speeds. Actually, there were only a few stretches where traffic was light enough to use steady cruise control and for me to watch the computer. And sometimes that was when I would be going up a long incline, so it's pretty subjective.

I left the car to rest last night a bit in awe. The total trip up from Portland was 171 miles, average mpg was 42.1 with outside temp of 46. This included stints as high as 80 mph, so that really isn't bad at all. My mileage started going up dramatically as I slowed down and was on more familiar turf and slower local roads. One really needs to watch one's speed because the car is peppy and quiet. It’s easy to be going faster than you think. The trip back went smoothly. The car does very well on the freeway, very smooth and quiet. There was a little squirreliness with the tires on a portion of grooved pavement around Kelso, but nothing hard to handle. It was a very calm day, so no wind issues. I was blown away by the navigation system. It worked better than expected and even guided me onto the ferry and up to my island driveway. That was awesome. At times it feels like the car has a subtle consciousness watching out so that you don't miss your turn, are nice an comfortable, adjusting systems, mirror dimming etc. and in its spare time it figures out how to manage the ICE and FE. We ended the trip stopping at the mailbox and then pulling into our rural driveway and up the hill to the house on FE. The only sound was pebble crunching under the tires and the lovely lady telling me that we had arrived at our destination and she was now concluding the session. Pretty remarkable.

Observations from this first drive.
    These are first impressions from my 3hr. trip back from Portland. I know not everyone will agree with me and that’s ok. I’m trying to be impartial and give honest first impressions. They will very likely change over time. There is a lot to learn with this car. That is its strength and weakness. I’ll comeback in say 3 months with a new assessment for comparison.

Best features:
    Smooth and quiet ride. There were no rattles, plastic squeaks at all regardless of road type. Noticeable lack of wind noise as well. I may change the tires for a quieter, smoother variety as long as it doesn’t compromise mileage.
    Electric drive. It’s eerie cool to be easing off the ferry in silence. I want more! Give me LIon batteries.
    Fuel Economy. I can see how the Prius is going to do well with most local driving. Freeway driving takes a hit when you go over about 60.
    Navigation system. Admittedly I have little experience here, but so far it is a really nice feature. The gentle female guiding voice was pleasant and quite natural.
    Hatchback. Lots of easy to use space
    Heating system: This is for the system itself, not for the on-screen controls which I don’t like. But the system itself, works very well so far.
    Space. Back seat legroom is excellent. No one feels crammed in. Great cargo carrier for a sedan.
    Dimming mirror. I thought this to be a gimmick, but it works quite well.

Neutral features: (court’s still out here):
    Smart Key. Still getting used to it. This takes a leap of faith to expect the doors are locked without human intervention. Starting and turning off the car is not confidence inspiring either. I keep getting a legal statement coming up on the nav screen that I must agree to just to start the damn car, even though I already have my foot on the brake. However, I am learning here and I can see where this feature may migrate up to the “best†category once I am used to it.
    Radio/CD/MP3/aux jack. OK sound, though not a clear with human voices on NPR as my Subaru. This may be a matter of finding a better setting. I would like to have seen presets for different EQ curves so that one could easily switch from voice, to classical, to rock for instance. I’d also like to have a quick mute button.
    Safety: The car should get a 10 here. Lord knows there are enough airbags and crush zones to ensure remarkable collision protection. But this is somewhat negated by very real blind spots, especially in the rear. I found I had to triple check other car locations when passing on the freeway. And the on screen heater controls means that one must take eyes off of the road to make a change. Amazing that Toyota chose to do this when other cars are using tactilely differentiated buttons on heater controls as a safety feature. As noted below, I don't like the shifter.
    HID Lights: They do provide a clean light, but it did seem as bright as expected. However, I’ll have my wife drive it at night to see how they work for her. If she is helped, then this would become a best feature.

Poor Features:
    Shifter: So far I can find no advantage for the unconventional shifter and would prefer something more standard PRNDB like in the Camry so that it is easier for the occasional driver. This morning I did a quick move to D and it bounced up into R on its springy return to home position. Freaked me out. If I weren’t aware of this, it could be very dangerous.
    Heater controls on Nav. Screen. I really prefer this to be analog, like the new Camry Hybrid.
    Blindspots. I’ve owned hatchbacks in the past where this never was an issue.
    Fog lights. These seem purely cosmetic and anemic. Would prefer independent switching. Not true foglights, I’ll likely be doing a mod here.
    New interior plastics. I can’t say the wrinkly (dash, steering wheel, side moldings) covering is very appealing. It looks like it’s going to be harder to clean and a real dust trap.
    Driver’s seat. I have a bad disk in the lower lumbar region and ound myself frequently squirming to get comfortable. Eventually put my jacket behind my back for support. I’ll have to mod the seat or replace if we re going to take long trips in the car.
    Technology overwhelmus. The car is daunting for the occasional user, it shouldn’t be. There are several places where the engineers are dragging the customer to the technology instead of packaging the cool technology in a manner that makes it easier to assimilate. There is a high geek factor here, but for a family car, having more universal conventions (like the shifter) would make the car easier for more than one person to drive it safely without losing functionality.

We are all excited about the new car – first in many years. We have a lot to learn in spite of having decades of driving experience. The Prius is definitely a statement and a harbinger of the future. We’re glad to have it finally here. It looks great parked out back. Now we need a name for the silver beauty. We’re thinking of Argo, Argent and Mercury. Any thoughts?

(PS: forgot to add pictures!) Now posted.

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    First off, congratulations! :D

Secondly, regarding these statements:

I think think the controls for the cooling/heating system can either be accessed by the buttons on the steering wheel or by the voice-activation system. Or by both. I don't have mine yet, and it's been 4 months since my 1 and only test drive. Maybe others that have their Priuses can verify this information?? A lot of the radio controls I heard can also be accessed via the steering wheel buttons as well, so one doesn't have to mess with the touch-screen while driving and put themselves in a potentially dangerous situation by taking their eyes off the road. :)

3. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! We're very excited with our silver sprite. Yes, the on steering wheel controls do allow basic adjustments for the radio and heater. (Though I still have to look at them for figure out what's what, but that will come in time.) But if one wants to change from floor heat to upper/lower combo, or to switch to interior recirc (for A/C) or manually switch on the A/C while in heating mode, then one must use the screen. In our climate, we use the A/C more in the winter for defogging cabin windows than we do in the summer, so this is a common operation.

4. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hmmm, I've Seen That Car Before

Congratulations and Good Luck. Excellent first drive report; I like your color choice.

5. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The AC in the car means Air conditioning.. meaning it controls hot and cold to keep it where you want.. "unless you turn it off".

As far as the defrost.. I've heard the car automatically accesses the inside and outside temp against the humidity in the inside air and "it" decides whether to blow hot or cold to ditch your fogged windows. "it works really good"

Maybe after the new nubs get worn off they will be quieter...... just remember too.. the quieter a tire is, generally the less traction it "may" have.

6. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Vincent. We went out for a joy ride today. My wife drove it for the first time and did just fine. There was a little problem for her backing up. The impaired view makes her nervous. She normally drives a wagon that has excellent 360 vision so this is going to take getting used to. However, she really liked the stereo and nav system (with me setting it up).

7. notsure

notsure New Member

I have had on every car those little concave mirrors placed on the mirrors, they get rid of your blind spots very well.

Currently have just adjusted the mirrors out (have done this with every car) so you can not see the side of your own car, this gets rid of almost all blind spots.
    Adjust drivers with head resting on window, adjust passenger side with head over middle console, I read about doing it this way long time ago from a drivers safety course. Works well for me.

Bought that concave plastic viewer from pep boys for one of my employees, She put it in the back lower window, it allows her to see everything that is behind her. (2005 seaside)

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You will come to love the Smart Key and the Shifter! Welcome and congratulations. I drove 800 mile home after picking up my car. The car will grow on you!

9. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Good Luck with the new Prius. I predict that in 3 months you will smile at your initial assessment! The SKS is pretty much the coolest feature of the car - aside from full electric mode.

You've never had a car with an auto dimming mirror I take? The Prius version of the auto dimming mirror is awful - at least compared to GM mirrors. It improves if you flip the mirror upside down - no kidding. That helps get the sensor out of the blind spot caused by the rear wing. (Yeah - I bring that up to freak out the GM-haters who can't believe GM does anything right, let alone better.)

The shifter rules, too. You'll change your tune once you learn to use it for gliding.

And in a year and a half of Prius ownership, I can tell you that I almost never use the video screen for audio or A/C control. The steering wheel does it all and quite well once you get used to it.

Finally... Amaze yourself and friends, try to keep track of your mileage : http://www.w8kc.com/priusmileage.htm

Welcome to the club!

10. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

what you should do tonight is create a spread sheet on your computer and keep track of all the gas and repairs you put into the car. Then 2 years from now sit down and look at it and see what you really have saved. You will be shocked to realize how much money you used to waste on your old POS. Pardon the expression.

11. notsure

notsure New Member

Thats wierd my auto dim mirror works better on the Prius that it ever did on my cad escalade <_<

12. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife drove around today without problems. She was pretty much at ease with the car, but this was with the radio off and heater set to auto. BTW, when we got into the car, the heater was off. When I left it last night it was on auto, set to 74 degrees. Isn't the heater supposed to remember it's last setting? Or does one always have to reset it each time?

The smart key system continues to confuse me. The dealer demoed it on my car showing me that he couldn't open a door when I walked away from the car with the key. So I blindly accepted that the car is locked when I have the key in my pocket and walk away from the car. Today I found that to be wrong. I almost left an expensive camera in the car, unlocked. I had my son go back and get something from the car, knowing I had the SK in my pocket, a few hundred yards from the car and about 2 minutes after we had left it. The passenger door was unlocked! Now that I am sitting down with the manual I realize that one must hit the lock button or use the lock button on the key. I suspect you are right, I just need to learn how this all works. I'll pratice some more tomorrow. (I hate it when the car is smarter than I am. <_< )

It's not the options the shifter allows me to do that bother me. I've already been experimenting with pulse and glide. It's the implementation of the shifter. There's no reason that I can figure why they couldn't have made a more conventional inline console shifter where one flicks back and forth between D and B. Maybe I'm missing something, but sometimes different doesn't necessarily equal better.

13. prius2006rocks

prius2006rocks New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes it wont lock automatically - you can also press any of the three little black square buttons on the outside of the car to lock the doors. (1 on drivers door handle, 1 on passenger door handle and one on the rear hatch) Good luck! :D

14. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I caught your misconception, and was surprised nobody responded with the correct answer . . . and thankfully I read through all the posts in the string and see you figured it out on your own. There will be a bunch of other things about your Prius that you will learn over time.

One small thing about the SmartKey and locking . . . and I hope it doesn't confuse you . . . The Prius WILL automatically lock the doors after unlocking them with the SmartKey.

IF you unlock the doors by touching the sensors on the back side of the door handle, but DO NOT open a door, after several seconds, the Prius WILL automatically lock the doors.

Washing a Prius with SmartKey and with the doors locked can be quite an experience. A large quantity of water, such as from a hose, can trip the unlock sensor - the Prius will unlock and then relock without you ever touching the handle.

15. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I like the shifter, the only thing Is that at first impression, it appears to be backwards!

I remember my first impressions "now its no big deal since I learned it", but everyone at first I have witnessed thinks it should shift "up" for drive and "down" for reverse?

but its backwards.... I guess if you mounted it on the ceiling it would make sense the way it is, but on the dash, down should be reverse and up should be drive.
    IMO

16. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, you are quite correct. Good tips Patrick. There's a lot to assimilate all at once. Once I can lock and unlock the car predictably and confidently, I'll feel a lot better.

17. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I also thought that originally... why not up for forward and back for reverse? Then I realized they did it so it was in the same order as a conventional shift lever (R-N-D from front to back).