1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's Here!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CBReynolds, Oct 18, 2005.

1. CBReynolds

CBReynolds New Member

;) ;) Hi all!

I posted with some questions before the site went down, but thought I would wait to post again until my prius came in.

My 2005 Prius Driftwood Pearl #6, with leather and DVD entertainment system came in and I picked it up Monday.

The dealership was great! I too was offered the Prius extended warranty for $1095 an I said I thought I could get it for $985 and the guy told me "yes that is for a 7year warranty, but this one is for an 8 year warranty", so I did purchase it.

I did order the body side moulding and had it installed before I left the dealership.

I only averaged 34.5 mpg for 80+ miles in WNC (BTW the MPG is already more than doubled what I get in my minivan), but I expect it will take some time to figure everything out. I absolutely love the car.

I do not understand the screen and how to tell how much battery charge is left, so I am hoping for some responses here. I never noticed any pink bars....

Also, I do not have a garage and was wondering if I should get the engine block heater. I live in Western North Carolina on a mountain and we do get snow here.
    One of my neighbors here has a black 05 prius and I have seen another one in silver several times.

Any other general info for a newbie would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

CB

2. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I just got my block heater and I figure I can save about 40 cents a day using it for temps under 30 degrees. But as far south as you are I'm not sure I'd bother. It does greatly shorten the warm up to stage 4 economy mode.

If you are on a mountain you might benefit much more with an EV button, if you can mostly coast down the mountain and start the car when you get to flat areas or even better a hill to go up. Course this assumes you are on small roads and can go slow. EV works to just over 30 mph.

You can also try to stop with a lower battery, so you have room for max regen going down the mountain.

Note if it gets really cold, the car starts anyway.

3. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    First of all, CONGRADS!

Second, about the extended warranty, you should make sure your dealer is not messing with you. According to http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pyv/extende...cing_prius.html, the longest plan is 7yr/100k miles, I am not sure what they mean by 8 years. But the hybrid related components are covered for 8 yrs/100k miles without charge according to http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/warranty/warranty.html. So make sure you are getting the right warranty.

If you see full battery, it's actually 80% full. When you see 1 pink bar left, it's actually around 40% charge. That's how Toyota extend the life of the battery by keeping the battery from fully charged or discharged.
    About your mileage, the car/tire still in the break-in period. You'll see better mileage later on. And look around the forum for tips and tricks on how to improve your mileage.
    If you have any more questions, feel free to post them.

Enjoy your car~!

4. keeponrunning

keeponrunning New Member

My 05 silver came in on Friday and I am also in heaven. Now then I have had a totally different experience when it comes to MPG. I am about 420 miles into the car and amd at 54.2 MPG.

I hope that once the car breaks in and I better learn how to drive it, I will be in the 60's. My biggest obstacle is that I have 5 - 8 miles of hills when leaving my house (NO way around the hills). the 5 miles of hills route is overall 4 miles longer on my commute but has less hills, the 8 miles of hills is a overall shorter distance but I believe the overall MPG hit is worse.

Any hints on driving hills without having my MPG go through the floor will be appreciated. I am shooting for a 500+ mile first tank. Hey, ya gotta have a goal. :p

Andrew