1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

its me again!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by [email protected], Jan 8, 2007.

1. winterrosebudd@mac.com

[email protected] New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello friends and Happy New Year! My name is Winter...and I still havn't made my Prius purchase. :rolleyes:

So I'm looking to go top of the line, totally loaded. I have an appt. to see a saleperson this Friday at Glendale Toyota. She informed me that she doesn't have any touring packages in right now and wants to show me a package 6. The reason I wanted the touring is because of the better suspension...can anyone tell me the difference between the touring suspension and regular? Should I wait for the touring models to come in...and do you think the touring packages are worth the extra cash?

Thank you and I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season. :D

2. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kuki @ Jan 8 2007, 02:43 PM) [snapback]372718[/snapback]</div>
    Touring suspension has a much more "solid" feel and responsiveness to it. Soundproofing appears to be improved in doors. Definitely worth the expense.

3. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kuki @ Jan 8 2007, 03:43 PM) [snapback]372718[/snapback]</div>
    I was just pricing the new Prius and was intrigued by the Touring Edition. It doesn't cost all that much more but you get, "more spirited driving responses" due to its European-tuned suspension, 16" sporty looking alloy wheels, a larger rear spoiler, and High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps and integrated fog lamps. To me it would almost seem foolish to not purchase the Touring Edition, especially in that it costs only $895 more. To me, anything that would make this car sportier in its handling would be worth that amount. And they're even throwing in HID headlamps and fog lamps (heck they alone are worth close to that amount).

Don't let them take advantage of your need for instant gratification. If they don't have the Touring Edition, find a dealer that does .. or order one and wait for it (that's what most of the rest of us did).

Here's a link explaining it (has lots of photos):

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/08/17/200...ouring-edition/

4. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

I did not absolutely love the handling of the Prius when we test drove the regular, non-touring ones. Then, there was a point in time at which all the dealerships seemed to get only touring versions. That was the exact point at which we were reduced to no cars from a prior total of 1 and sometimes 2. So, we bought a Touring. During our search period we were told the following about Touring:

1. It is being recalled by Toyota for no clear reason.
    2. It is a model that was built primarily for the East Coast, so there wont' be any more coming to the west coast.
    3. It is identical to the other version except for having a longer spoiler, bigger wheels, and a different suspension.

I asked every salesperson around what exactly the suspension change was, and could get no solid answer.

However, I think the Touring handles better. The other one seemed to be floating around on the road. It seemed to be too responsive to the slightest bit of movement of my hands on the wheel. The touring is much more solid on the road and doesn't seem to float or be over-responsive.

I have no idea whether the Touring really is intended for the East Coast only, but that might explain why you are having trouble getting it.

We bought the HI. This is a Touring with all features known for Prius except the leather and the NAV. In other words, it has Blue Tooth, MP3 connection, high-end radio/CD/JBL speakers, Home Link, which I haven't any clue about, lots of other things too. Its sticker price was 26,500, I believe. We got them down to 26K. This was the best we could get after a 2 hour haggling session. The difference in price was really marginal, when you look at the fact that the HI has many features that don't come on the equivalent non-touring edition.

So, I would get the Touring if you have a chance and be sure to put gas in it!

5. tagnew

tagnew Junior Member

I bought an 07 loaded touring in November that I had to wait a couple of months for, but I would think that in L.A. you could find whatever you want. The part with the most appeal is the suspension, the lights and foglights are not impressive, the spoiler is kind of silly but at least not overdone, and the 16 inch wheels are certainly a step up. So I don't know if it's really worth it, but I was interested in better handling as this is basically an econobox with that level of handling. Having never driven a regular Prius, can't compare, but this car is certainly fun to drive, although a lot of that may be the entertainment factor of all the gizmos, coupled with the glow you might get from driving something that may actually improve the air in L.A.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, kuki! Welcome back. I wondered where you'd disappeared to. :)

7. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How does the mileage compare with the Touring Edition v. the regular? Better/Worse/Same?

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AuntBee @ Jan 8 2007, 09:32 PM) [snapback]372918[/snapback]</div>
    Should be worse because of the larger wheels/tyres.

9. PLMurphy

PLMurphy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kuki @ Jan 8 2007, 05:43 PM) [snapback]372718[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: We own two 2007 Prius Touring sedans, one black and one gray, with Pkg2 and dealer leather($895). The first was bought at the beginning of Nov'06 to replace a 2001 Mazda Tribute SUV--read loading of Prius serves similar purpose. We were so impressed that we replaced a second car, 2000 Toyota Avalon, with the gray Prius. In both cases Haley Toyota, Midlothian, VA had to do a car search and found the cars. Your dealer can do the same thing. If not, change dealers. Remember that the auto salesperson is on straight-commission and must sell you something.

The Touring is a nice car--we have taken two 1,000 mile trips on Interstate highway, rain and wind, and they perform great. Trucks and headwinds do not bother them at 75mph. Radio and auto climate control work very well. It is a fun car aside from saving gas. We average 39-43mpg, depending. Also, we drive normally and do not attempt to watch the energy arrows in traffic, plus run accessories. Not feeding the terrorists oil money and being green is nice, but not worth our safety to prove a point.

10. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Quoted: "1. It is being recalled by Toyota for no clear reason."

I have seen no recall information regarding the Touring Edition Prius, nor have I received any communication from Toyota. Where does this comment come from?

I took delivery on my '07 Touring Edition [Pkg 6] on November 11th and am pleased with it. The suspension has a firmer feel and quieter ride [tires?]. Insofar as the "larger wheels and tires" the revolutions per mile is virtually the same, so the speedometer accuracy would be the same as the 'standard' models. I am pleased with the Bridgestone Turanza tires, although I chose to run them at lower pressures [37/35] than I had run the Integreties on my 2004 Prius [42/40].

With ~1,600 miles on the clock, it's far too soon to reach a conclusion about fuel economy. Seems I reached my best fuel economy on the 2004 at about 8,000 miles on the clock. So far, the '07 is running about the same MPGs as the '04... and that with lower tire pressures and prior to real 'loosening up.' I expect my fuel economy to increase as the miles on the clock add up. I might add that if you buy the 'loaded' Package 6, the Touring Edition costs only $270 more that the 'standard.' I believe the better tires alone are worth that.

11. winterrosebudd@mac.com

[email protected] New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks once again for great information. I found a touring package in Hollywood and will drop by for a visit tomarrow and hope to drive home in a new Prius! Wish me luck and I will check in and let you guys know either way. ;)

Oh and thanks Hyo Silver...nice to see you too. We had a very busy end of the year...work, chasing a 3 year old and I also run an online parenting message board...you can imagine the craziness. I promise I'll check in from now on!