1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's not just Toyota recalling vehicles!

Discussion in 'International Owners' started by GrumpyCabbie, Feb 17, 2010.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why all the continued fuss about Toyota recalls? Here in the UK the press have now largely moved on but it is still big news in the US.

Whilst looking up details on the Peugeot 407 SW I noticed the following recall notices in the Parkers.co.uk review.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/peugeot/407-sw-estate-2004.aspx?page=4

Now these recalls are rather serious yet I don't recall the press printing anti-Peugeot stories like they have been hitting Toyota. Why is this?

Is it because one expects Toyota to be more perfect than their super reliable reputation and we are shocked by a recall? Or do we expect Peugeot not to get it right? Who knows?

Any suggestions?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's a combination of issues:

1) The press are a bunch of jackals. Once they smell blood there is no stopping them.

2) The U.S. has a long tradition of bringing down the mighty. We love to see the mighty fall, and then we rush in and pile on.

3) Lawyers. Unlike most professions, lawyers in the U.S. can create business by stirring up discontent. Stir up enough angry consumers and you have a class action lawsuit.

Tom

3. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's political. The leading auto worker's union, the UAW, contributes millions of member dues extracted and given exclusively to Democrat candidates like Barack Obama.

Toyota is not only the best selling American vehicle, they also have no union shops, both seen as obstacles to General Motors that is now owned by the US government and run by the UAW.

So there is a large school of thought that believes this anti-Toyota campaign is being run in part by Democrats who have formed several committees to "inquire" about possible wrongdoing by Toyota executives. Five are currently being sued for racketeering among other things.

As usual, the current group of pols will overreach and it will backfire. There's a reason Toyota built so many plants in politically sensitive states and hired locally.

4. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think you're right even though I don't understand your countries politics. It could backfire as I believe Toyota have plants in the US and are looking to build more vehicles there. If this negative campaign keeps attacking them, then they could easily shut these plants down and move manufacture to other countries, who lets face it, would jump at the chance.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good point. And who would benefit the most from this, GM? :rolleyes:

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So it would be good business to shut down the American plants? Are you nuts? Toyota doesn't want this to get anymore out of control than it already is.

7. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By having their lackies in Washington "force" them into "bankruptcy" (one of the fastest litigations in the history of American law, note) GM was able to disolve all their UAW contracts and re-negotiate them. I don't call that being "run" by the union.

8. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Because Peugeot did not destroy the market of GM, Ford and Chrysler in the US - the US Car Mafia, that is. Toyota did (together with other Japanese/Korean manufacturers, including in a way German manufacturers). And Toyota sold cars during the crisis with the clunkers program, while the big 3 didn't that much. And Toyota is number one in the world and is not american.

So now they want to bring Toyota down ("enough with the Japs"). This is my feeling and as an observer from the outside.

Regardless of whether there are problems or not. IMHO Toyota did not understand this. They think that because they employ lots of people in the US and are number one, they are safe from the american car manufacturers' lobby.

Not to mention that the "Japs" make higher reliability cars than americans (or at least it was at the beginning - american quality has improved a lot, thanks to the japs, that is - otherwise americans would be probably still buy the same quality as 20 years ago - you know, the benefit of competition).

Anything now is good to take Toyota down.

Interesting is that the Congress is asking whether NTHSA was too slack on Toyota. As if to say, why did you not look seriously into this before and waited only now to bring up all sorts of crap (see the Corolla steering thing)?

It seems like as if all of a sudden Toyota cars have become unsafe and people are dying like flies driving them. At least this is what you get from the media and the actions from the US governing bodies.

Why all this clamor in the US and not in the EU? (where likely millions of Toyotas are driving around; and there are controlling bodies in the EU, actually several). Why all this accelerator thing has come up in the US and nothing ever came up in Europe? And why "now" and not 1 or 2 years ago? Some car models that have "defective" accelerators have been built quite some time ago - not "yesterday".

I smell "mafia-style" actions here in the works.
    If there is something that doesn't work it has to be fixed and I am not defending Toyota, but this whole thing is way overblown, a lot not based on facts (it is not proven that the accelerator mechanics has caused undeniably any accidents so far, as far as I understood), thanks also to the presumptuous/over-confident Toyota behaviour (what I call the "we know better" approach).

2 people like this.
  9. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree with most of what you are saying too. I would be curious what other non Americans on this forum think (including our Canadian friends).

Here in the UK the Toyota 'row' has pretty much blown over since Toyota has agreed to recall the affected vehicles. I think we appreciate that all cars get recalled for a variety of reasons and Toyota are correcting things. People still recognise that Toyota build very reliable, quality built vehicles and will continue buying them.

I know many of my taxi driver colleagues are not fazed by the recent publicity as we know Toyotas are the best. The same goes in Australia where Toyota hold a huge market share for the same reasons.

Protectionism is a dangerous route to go down and is probably the death throes of the failing American car industry. If the US regulators kill off Toyota with the inevitable rediculous law suits which are bound to occur, then Honda or Kia or Hyundai will just take their place. Are they going to try and kill them off too? Perhaps GM et al should just concentrate on building better quality, reliable and fuel efficient vehicles that people actually want world wide.

There is definitely a USA/rest of world split in differing attitudes on this forum, at least that's how I see it.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is a split, but not all of us in the USA share the party line.

Tom

11. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota sells less than 5% of the vehicles in Europe, not 17% as in the US.

12. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is that because we have a wider choice of manufacturers and vehicles to choose from? I didn't realise they'd got to 17% of market share in the US. That doesn't say alot about the Big 3! :eek:

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

That's because most Americans don't know what a "Peugeot" is. If CNN led with the tagline "Is your Peugeot Safe?" most people would think it was a report on protecting your poodle.

I'm just kidding. Conspiracy theories aside, I do think it is valid to believe that Toyota has suffered disproportionately in comparison to other automakers as almost a backlash from decades of success. Plus the contrast simply is greater. Toyota is a victim of their own success. We would be "number" to the news if Toyota was routinely recalling cars every year.

I'm not a blind Toyota Fan, I think it necessary to have investigation, evolution and improvement if needed by either Toyota, The NHTSA or both. If mistakes were made, or even greater, then it should be brought to light. BUT I'm also wishing that we would just get through this, and Toyota could return to making cars. It does seem to me like we are in a stuck cycle of constant accusation and inuendo.

14. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A wider choice in europe, you must be kidding. The US has by far the most manufacturers invovled.

15. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Today Toyota have run a full page advert in some of the national newspapers explaining the recalls and apologising. They also put the recall into context saying that there were 300 car recalls in Europe in the last year but only 4 of them were Toyotas.

16. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Are you watching the hearings? This is devastating for Toyota. It will take years to recover.

17. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Am detecting a little flaming here but we have the same manufacturers here that you have in the States and a few others who don't sell in the USA. Granted the number of cars sold in the USA is probably higher.

18. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No I'm not though I believe it is on one of the satellite news channels. Don't know if you noticed but this is a thread in the International Owners section. We have noticed that it is a big issue in the USA but not so much over here in Europe.

I was trying to put an alternative international perspective on the recall issues but am bored things are decending into a 'them and us' slanging match.

:mad:

19. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    "Perhaps GM et al should just concentrate on building better quality, reliable and fuel efficient vehicles that people actually want world wide."

See, that's just it! much easier to keep the status quo and bring down the opposition with lawyers and media frenzy over NOTHING, rather than build things people want. Heck, we specialize in the overhyped media frenzies over nothing in this country! So proud. sarcasm.

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Malorn, if it will take "years" for Toyota to recover from the media much ado about nothing frenzy, how long will it take Ford to recover from the reports that they decided to let owners go up in flames rather than fix their cars, since it was thought to be cheaper to the company ?

You are so FOS