1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's The Bible Quotes Thread!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stev0, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here are some of my personal favorite quotes from the Bible. And since I know there's the cynical types who will post rebuttals to these, disagreeing with every word they'll say, I'll be proactive and include quotes from PC members who already posted a rebuttal.

Rebuttal:

Rebuttal:

Rebuttal:
    Just about every single post in FHOPolitics

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Reminds me of

3 people like this.
  3. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't understand the point of this thread, "yet" but here's mine . . .

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

1 person likes this.
  4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    ok - I'll bite ;)

Matthew 27:3-8
    " ....... Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned . . . . . . . hanged himself

Luke 10:37
    " ........ Jesus said ...... Go, and do thou likewise ...."

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I made it because lots of folks have said they want to make it, but none of them had the stones to do it.

I do.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :D

7. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Is there some relationship between these two verses? I just ask because of the editing and the juxtaposition.

8. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Lets be honest ok? Want to make what? Which "Lots of folks" I've never seen a thread or post requesting a "Bible Quotes" thread by lots of folks.

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I like Acts 8:37 as it is missing from many bibles, so raises issues of contention. (Teach the controversy!)

And Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” And he replied, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”

Acts 8:37
    Acts 8:37
    Acts 8:37 - "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God"
    Acts 8:37 — Why is this verse omitted in the ISV?
    NJAB - Does Acts 8 verse 37 belong in the Bible? Why is this passage regarding the Ethiopian eunuch in some translations such as the KJV (AV) and not in others such as the NIV?

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Glad you have some favorites. You do realize that Christ was talking to individuals don't you? He wasn't talking to the government (He had some rather choice words for them).

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    "Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?'"

I feed the poor each month, I help run a Red Cross shelter for evacuees, and I give blood every other month and organize drives. But I stay way away from prisoners, sorry.

1 person likes this.
  12. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Considering all the hoopla made recently about Islam and the Koran telling muslims to kill non-believers I thought this might be interesting:

Deuteronomy 13: (God's commandment to kill non-believers)

1 "If a prophet or a dreamer of dreams arises among you and gives you a sign or a wonder, 2 and the sign or the wonder comes true, concerning which he spoke to you, saying, 'Let us go after other gods (whom you have not known ) and let us serve them,' 3 you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams ; for the LORD your God is testing you to find out if you love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul. 4 "You shall follow the LORD your God and fear Him; and you shall keep His commandments, listen to His voice, serve Him, and cling to Him. 5 "But that prophet or that dreamer of dreams shall be put to death, because he has counseled rebellion against the LORD your God who brought you from the land of Egypt and redeemed you from the house of slavery, to seduce you from the way in which the LORD your God commanded you to walk. So you shall purge the evil from among you. 6 "If your brother, your mother's son, or your son or daughter, or the wife you cherish, or your friend who is as your own soul, entice you secretly, saying, 'Let us go and serve other gods ' (whom neither you nor your fathers have known, 7 of the gods of the peoples who are around you, near you or far from you, from one end of the earth to the other end ), 8 you shall not yield to him or listen to him; and your eye shall not pity him, nor shall you spare or conceal him. 9 "But you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. 10 "So you shall stone him to death because he has sought to seduce you from the LORD your God who brought you out from the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. 11 "Then all Israel will hear and be afraid, and will never again do such a wicked thing among you. 12 "If you hear in one of your cities, which the LORD your God is giving you to live in, anyone saying that 13 some worthless men have gone out from among you and have seduced the inhabitants of their city, saying, 'Let us go and serve other gods ' (whom you have not known ), 14 then you shall investigate and search out and inquire thoroughly. If it is true and the matter established that this abomination has been done among you, 15 you shall surely strike the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, utterly destroying it and all that is in it and its cattle with the edge of the sword. 16 "Then you shall gather all its booty into the middle of its open square and burn the city and all its booty with fire as a whole burnt offering to the LORD your God ; and it shall be a ruin forever. It shall never be rebuilt. 17 "Nothing from that which is put under the ban shall cling to your hand, in order that the LORD may turn from His burning anger and show mercy to you, and have compassion on you and make you increase, just as He has sworn to your fathers, 18 if you will listen to the voice of the LORD your God, keeping all His commandments which I am commanding you today, and doing what is right in the sight of the LORD your God.

13. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ If that was applicable in the New Testament, Jesus would have been encouraging an insurrection against the Romans.

14. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My understanding is that the God of the Old Testament is the same God of the New Testament. In fact, I believe the Jesus described in the New Testament is 1/3 of that Old Testament God.

15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The New Testament god is God 2.0.

16. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Apparently this god doesn't like cripples...

(Leviticus 21:16-23)
    Then the LORD said to Moses, "Tell Aaron that in all future generations, his descendants who have physical defects will not qualify to offer food to their God. No one who has a defect may come near to me, whether he is blind or lame, stunted or deformed, or has a broken foot or hand, or has a humped back or is a dwarf, or has a defective eye, or has oozing sores or scabs on his skin, or has damaged testicles. Even though he is a descendant of Aaron, his physical defects disqualify him from presenting offerings to the LORD by fire. Since he has a blemish, he may not offer food to his God. However, he may eat from the food offered to God, including the holy offerings and the most holy offerings. Yet because of his physical defect, he must never go behind the inner curtain or come near the altar, for this would desecrate my holy places. I am the LORD who makes them holy."

A predominate baby slashing theme revealed here:

(Isaiah 13:15-18)
    Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children.

And doesn't like chatty women in church:

(Corinthians 14:33-35)
    As in all the churches of the holy ones, women should keep silent in the churches, for they are not allowed to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. But if they want to learn anything, they should ask their husbands at home. For it is improper for a woman to speak in the church.

Good parenting skills:

(Leviticus 20:9)
    All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense.

Laying down some ground rules for rape victims. You wanted to marry your attacker right? Well at least dad gets 50 pieces of silver, that makes it all better...

(Deuteronomy 22:28-29)
    If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

Yes these are all real, what a happy and joyous magician in the sky

17. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    God works with imperfect men. Those rules you quoted are rules added by Moses and other elders during that period. Jesus death on the cross did away with the Mosaic law, it no longer applies. Does God like them? No. But man has free will and as much as you and other Atheist demand that God impose His will upon mankind to make it "better" He won't do it.

If I applied your supposition to modern day Atheists it would be similar to applying the acts committed by Atheist during the French Revolution to Atheist today. Something which I won't bother doing because it's ridiculous but if you'd like to continue applying the Old Testament to New Testament believers, as ridiculous as it makes you appear, have at it.

18. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One of the arguments I keep hearing against atheism, is that without God there would be no absolute morality. Are you saying that with God we get no absolute morality either?

1 person likes this.
  19. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...“If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you."

From John, 15 (ESV)

4 people like this.
  20. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does that make the Book of Mormon god God 3.0?

Tom