1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's time for the Ultimate mod... Smart Park in the USA!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by naterprius, Mar 16, 2005.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Speedracer (or anyone else in Japan!), I know you are busy, but when you can, I am hoping that you could download or purchase the Wiring Diagram for the steering system for Japanese Prii with Smart Park. I'm beginning to suspect that it is in the car already in the USA, and all we have to do is connect the right wires to the Parking Computer.

If you could post (and translate) that section of the Wiring Diagram, I'll be the guinea pig on my end.

Let me know if you are interested...

Nate

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nate,
    There's an entirely seperate ECU that installs in next to the left (US driver side) passenger seat that is required. Once upon a time someone posted photos of it, but I really doubt we have all the components. I'm sure the wiring is there for the steering function, but the computer control I'm sure is completely seperate.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BUT, if you can put one together that clips in with 4 wire taps I'd be glad to buy that from you for $75! ;-)

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    after you guinea pig test it .. a.. few.. hunred times.. i'll second guinea pig test it for free :) hehe

on a serious note.. it would be pretty cool to get a mod like that. a total show off item.

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"73097)</div>
    Just one ECU? That, a camera, and a button, and I'm good to go! Oh, and about 400 wires!

I'm serious about this one!

I need some help from the land of the rising sun!

There are quite a few unused pins on the Power Steering computer. I suspect they communicate position (of the wheel) to the parking computer and have inputs for controlling the wheel as well.

Nate

6. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius\";p=\"73181)</div>
    Are you looking for this kind of block diagram?
    (Sorry, I don't have time for translation.)

Regards,
    Ken@Japan

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    More like this one:

Ken, this is a low priority thing, obviously.

Any help you wish to contribute will be much appreciated. I am very patient, and can wait until you have time to translate if you care to do so.

Nate

8. mspencer

mspencer New Member

If a native speaker doesn't get to it first, I can transcribe the English words in katakana (those simple-looking characters). Kanji is more difficult, so maybe that should be left to the pros...

Just need to find some time... X__X

--Spence

9. mspencer

mspencer New Member

Top-left box: navigation computer
    box under that (with a nib on the left, making it look like a battery): back monitor camera
    larger box under that: intelligent parking assist main switch (inside sub-box:) intelligent parking assist indicator lamp

Large vertical box in the middle: intelligent parking assist computer

small box at top right: "ma ru chi" (phonetic) (?) display

speaker at top right: left front speaker (that is left, isn't it? That might be the character for right. Ouch, can't tell my left from my right any more. Take-sensei (tah-kay sen-say) would be so ashamed... X__X )

small box below the speaker: height sensor

The writing near the up-and-down arrows is in kanji I can't read yet.

Lower group, top-left box: steering angle sensor

Lower group, middle-left box: EPS actuator

Lower group, bottom-left box: torque sensor

Lower group, second column: "electric" and ...some kanji that looks like bug and power, not sure... power steering computer

Lower group, third column, top: skid control computer

Lower group, third column, bottom left: "bu zaa" (phonetic) -- what is that, buzzer?

Lower group, third column, bottom right: "car" something something sensor. Contains kanji I don't know how to read yet.

Lower group, right-most column, top: HV control computer

Lower group, right-most column, middle: shift something something (again with the kanji I don't know how to read)

Lower group, right-most column, bottom: motor something something something sensor. (These unknown kanji are frustrating: I *know* I have seen these on quizzes in class, but I can't remember them indidually, let alone what kind of compound word they form when they're together like that.)

That's as close as I can get. Someone with photoshop can add my translations to the diagram if you want.

--Spence

10. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Spence,

I think your translation is very good. :)
    Let me check...

Top-left box: navigation computer
    box under that (with a nib on the left, making it look like a battery): back monitor camera
    larger box under that: intelligent parking assist main switch (inside sub-box:) intelligent parking assist indicator lamp

(no correction)
    The second signal line is "RGB video signal".
    The third signal line is "NTSC video signal".

Large vertical box in the middle: intelligent parking assist computer

small box at top right: "ma ru chi" (phonetic) (?) display

(correction) the small box: Multi Display.

speaker at top right: left front speaker (that is left, isn't it? That might be the character for right. Ouch, can't tell my left from my right any more. Take-sensei (tah-kay sen-say) would be so ashamed... X__X )

It is RIGHT front speaker (for driver's side - Japanese cars).

small box below the speaker: height sensor

The writing near the up-and-down arrows is in kanji I can't read yet.

CAN communication line.

Lower group, top-left box: steering angle sensor

up arrow: steering angle signal

Lower group, middle-left box: EPS actuator

Lower group, bottom-left box: torque sensor

Lower group, second column: "electric" and ...some kanji that looks like bug and power, not sure... power steering computer

It is electric powered power steering computer.
    low arrow: state signal & target steering angle signal
    up arrow: state signal

Lower group, third column, top: skid control computer

Lower group, third column, bottom left: "bu zaa" (phonetic) -- what is that, buzzer?

Lower group, third column, bottom right: "car" something something sensor. Contains kanji I don't know how to read yet.

Yes, it is "buzzer".
    And, "wheel speed sensor".
    low arrow: state signal & wheel speed signal

Lower group, right-most column, top: HV control computer

Lower group, right-most column, middle: shift something something (again with the kanji I don't know how to read)

It is "shift information".

Lower group, right-most column, bottom: motor something something something sensor. (These unknown kanji are frustrating: I *know* I have seen these on quizzes in class, but I can't remember them indidually, let alone what kind of compound word they form when they're together like that.)

It is "motor revolution angle sensor".

Regards,
    Ken@Japan

11. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius\";p=\"73283)</div>
    Nate,

The schematics are copyrighted. (Actually, the block diagram too. :) )

My opinion is the mod is not value for money and labor.
    I bought my Prius one year ago, since then I and my family members used the IPA only once.
    People in Japan are also saying it is not useful because they can park by themselves in a short time than the IPA setting time.

I have some experience driving the the U.S. and rarely did a backward parking.

Anyway, the rear view camera is pretty neat.

Regards,
    Ken@Japan

12. prius04

prius04 New Member

Doesn't "smart park" also turn the steering wheel for you as it parks the car?

Doesn't that require motors somewhere in the steering system?

Why would Toyota put those motors on ALL cars? Even the ones that won't have smart start?

Therefore, I would suspect that this mod would be near impossible. It cannot just be a matter or wiring, IMO.

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius04\";p=\"73542)</div>
    It's called a power steering motor. Remember, the power steering is all electric. Even VSC will fight you in your steering if it thinks it has to.

Get a smart enough computer that can 'see' and the car can drive itself. It is remote control ready.

14. prius04

prius04 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"73547)</div>
    Oops! I'm still stuck in dinosaur technology. I forgot that when I turn the steering wheel all I'm doing is generating a signal. I don't turn the wheels, electric motors do. So with the proper sensors and computer software, this car should be able to park itself.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

15. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784\";p=\"73537)</div>
    Nate,

The schematics are copyrighted. (Actually, the block diagram too. :) )

My opinion is the mod is not value for money and labor.
    I bought my Prius one year ago, since then I and my family members used the IPA only once.
    People in Japan are also saying it is not useful because they can park by themselves in a short time than the IPA setting time.

I have some experience driving the the U.S. and rarely did a backward parking.

Anyway, the rear view camera is pretty neat.

Regards,
    Ken@Japan[/b][/quote]

Ken, I understand the schematic is copyrighted, but this likely falls under the fair use provision. If you are concerned about posting it, you can always email me at (REMOVE the NOSPAM)

[email protected]

I understand the feature isn't that useful, but it is COOL!

Anyway, I'll take what I can get. If I sent you a check for $10 would you be willing to download and email the diagram on my behalf? (Paying the $10 to Toyota's website for me?)

Actually, what is the URL? Maybe I can reach it from here...

Nate

16. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius04\";p=\"73557)</div>
    Oops! I'm still stuck in dinosaur technology. I forgot that when I turn the steering wheel all I'm doing is generating a signal. I don't turn the wheels, electric motors do. So with the proper sensors and computer software, this car should be able to park itself.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
    [/b][/quote]

Well, actually you ARE turning the wheels, but a sensor senses how much torque you put on the steering wheel, and helps you with an electric motor. There's no reason though that the motor can't turn the wheel without your input.