1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

It's time to consider reinstating Pete Rose as a candidate to the MLB Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by SPEEDEAMON, Jul 25, 2013.

1. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't know if Pete Rose took performance enhancing drugs but compared to today's scandals involving A-Rod, Ryan Braun, Nelson Cruz, Bartolo Colon, Jhonny Peralta, Everth Cabrera, Barry Bonds, etc gambling seems like a misdemeanor. Sure, it was wrong but it wasn't like he fixed games to himself and his buddies advantage. The fact remains he does have an impressive record.
    Your thoughts?

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only posthumously.

3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Charlie Hustle a gambler, evaded taxes and dated a Playboy Model !

Not that big a deal in my book. Although the tax evasion may be an oversight and not deliberate. You got to pay taxes. however if it is an honest mistake and you make good on the mistake that is OK. Gambling ever been to the sport book in Vegas, dating a Model he should get extra points for that.

He was accused of betting against the Reds while he was coaching them. He could influence the outcome. Pete denies he bet against his own team.

I say have the vote to get in the Hall Of Fame. Let the Hall decide

Lifetime 300 hitter.

4. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The reason MLB is so against gambling is it nearly destroyed the game....steroids would be 2nd.

Black Sox Scandal

Can you imagine the fallout if a team clearly won a Super Bowl thru gambling or other cheating?

I do see your point - Pete Rose is not alone in disgracing the game.

5. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Investigators said Pete bet on baseball games while a manager. He denied it and then finally fessed up that he did bet on baseball while a manager.

Investigators said Pete bet on the Reds while he was managing them. He denied it for many years but now says he did bet on the Reds, but only to win.

The lead investigator has said that if the inquiry was allowed to go on there is a good chance that solid evidence of Pete Rose betting against the Reds would have been found. Pete denies ever betting against his team, but his believably is suspect at this point.

Rose has first ballot HOF stats but for the betting scandal alone I agree with keeping him out. I never liked him after the Ray Fosse hit, sometimes karma's a bitch.

6. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]

7. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ouch, more like a linebacker hit.

Video | MLB.com Multimedia

8. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Judging from the smile on Pete's 70 year old face I don't think he cares or his twenty something Asian GF

image.jpg

San_Carlos_Jeff likes this.
  9. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Lance Armstrong has been denying take performance drusg all the time until busted.

10. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pete did not take drugs, gambled

11. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    He denies gambling on his own team.

12. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Dowd report said he gambled. Rose admitted he gambled much later but never against his own teams. I think he deserves a reinstatement from the commissioner. Just visit the Sports Book at any hotel on the strip. You can bet on sports.

image.jpg

jadziasman likes this.
  13. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pete Rose in the HOF? Never! He gambled for years on baseball. There is a sign in every clubhouse that says that gambling is expressly forbidden. He saw that every day he went to work. Then he lied for years when he said he hadn't gambled. I don't care if he had 10,000 hits. He can stick his hits where the sun don't shine.
    I used to have great respect for Lance Armstrong. The cancer comeback. The 7 Tour de France wins. He knew how to beat the drug tests. Then when he was busted by many testimonies the truth was out. Before he was busted if anyone told the truth about his drug use he would try to destroy that persons life. Now I think he is a POS and he deserves big karma payback.

14. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A few people made a similar argument.

Gambling is different than doping

15. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Pete Rose was one of my favorites growing up. It was disappointing when he deceived everyone and then finally admitted the truth.

There was an article in USA Today this morning where he admits that he lied and is encouraging players today to come clean as quick as possible.

To say gambling is different is BS. It was against all rules and he now openly admits this fact. Yes it is different than doping but what difference does that make? It was wrong.

16. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is my opinion performance doping you are giving the doper an unfair advantage over the other athlete who is clean. That alters the outcome.

Throwing a quarter in a slot machine has no impact on the outcome of the baseball game.

17. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Not putting the best fella in position isn't putting a quarter in a slot machine Bra... he bet against his own team when he was managing them... sure it wasn't much by his standards I'm sure... but $10,000.00 American is a lot of coin to most other folks.

Pete doesn't deserve to be instated in the HOF while he is breathing air.

After he is no longer breathing air, the debate can be made about whether or not the man with the most hits and a great lifetime average should be reconsidered for inclusion.

18. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Betting against his own team was not proven or admitted to.

His bets had no impact on the game

Enough time passed

Reinstate the man while he lives

19. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually, the investigation ended before any real disclosure other than finding he had wagered on baseball was proved to the Commissioner's office... you cannot say his bets had no impact on the game... they didn't look any deeper, even though the tabloids had stuff about two of the bookies saying he had bet against his team on several games with them.

As for reinstatement... I still say no, because the rules were clear long before Pete ever picked up a baseball bat... (I think from the time of the black sox)... but I would say yes to a postumous instatement into the HOF... because he was Charlie Hustle.

I also think Barry should get in postumously...

But that is just me.
    Bob Jr

20. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You are completely wrong.

He betted on his own team while his was the manager, that mean he can control the outcome of the game or winning.
    Why do you say it has no impact on the game?