1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I've been driving my wife's car for the past week and I'm kind of disappointed to have to return i

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by stevemcelroy, Sep 13, 2011.

1. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So my wife was away and we needed to switch cars - we have a large dog (to go with 2 small ones) and I needed the room in the back of her car as we were going out of town to visit family. So for the past 8 days my Prius has been sitting in long term parking at Newark Airport and I have been driving my wife's Acura. While I love my Prius it will be hard to switch cars. This is my first time having her car for a longer period and it really made me realize just how much in terms of comfort and performance we all give up to drive a Prius.

1 person likes this.
  2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: I've been driving my wife's car for the past week and I'm kind of disappointed to have to return

I didn't give up anything in comfort and performance to drive a Prius. Your blanket statement makes assumptions about previous cars. Many of us didn't drive luxury cars before adopting the Prius. To me, my Prius *is* a luxury car.

Tom

3 people like this.
  3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Re: I've been driving my wife's car for the past week and I'm kind of disappointed to have to return

You should have CT200h instead of a Prius then. :)

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Bologna.

We have "luxury" cars, classic cars, normal cars, and a Prius. All of them have their benefits and the only reason I prefer to drive the luxury SUV is when we drive 30+ hours straight cross country.

The smoothness and quietness of the Prius is a major plus. The only car better than the prius (except for MPG) is the RX450h. All the benefits but with the added luxury. However, half the mpg on a good day.

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

You're right. I gave up having to buy gas so often, I gave up the joy of not having enough luggage room, I gave up the joy of manual transmission, I gave up the need to use a key to open and start the car! Gosh, I miss all those!

1 person likes this.
  6. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three

+1 except for the manual. I hate automatics because of the jerkiness and slow response. The Prius is perfect with the all electric torque from a stop and no shifting jerks. However, a manual can be a joy. Not while stuck in traffic, or most times during any traffic loads. But on a track, or a twisty back road, it can be a blast. :cool:

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

We had a regular gas engine automatic Civic, next to lastest gen, while our Prius was getting (minor) bodywork. I was suprised at the relatively punchy startup from a stop, compared to the Prius. I really had to feather the gas pedal: every start was jack rabbit. I actually prefer the Prius' more sedate departures, but...

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Ditto. I had a rental Chevy Cobalt when we were in Maui. The throttle is over sensitive.

9. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three

But an oversensitive throttle does not make it nicer off the line. A 0-2mph "race" between the Prius and any other automatic transmission vehicle not meant for starting (meaning excluding the "launch control" mode found on modern super cars), the Prius will win. Instant power. When you put your foot down in anything else, you get: wait... wait... wait... lurch! then acceleration to the redline because you say "power!" and it says "but I wanna shift!!!" and you win until the redline where it must upshift.

10. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Coincidentally, I just happened to be driving one yesterday (really!). Since 90% of my driving is stop-and-go, it was not a joy.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

I agree the comfort of the gen2 seats had much to be desired. I adjusted with day to day driving, and it only became apparent on long trips or after driving something else.

Performance was fine. The suspension was set for a family car and drive train sounds different, so it may appear lacking. It's like driving a truck or minivan. Sitting higher gives the illusion of going slower than a lower sitting car, but the speedometer says you're going faster than you think.

12. stevemcelroy

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II

It is a car that we got for less than a high trim level Prius so it is not a comment on the price of the car in and of itself. I guess that I was a bit unclear because the point was really not about the car that I had before my Prius, rather more of a comment on what we were giving up when we chose to buy the Prius versus another car.

I did not even mention the whole seat issue - what a nice change to have seats that did not absolutely stink on a 6 (each way) hour drive. The power lumbar support was just a nice extra that I did not even find until I was almost home.

13. stevemcelroy

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II

Its funny but almost none of those things really matter to me or apply in this case.

The range on the Acura was actually a bit farther, though with a bigger tank it cost more - the added cost actually is something that is a concern, the range not at all.

The Acura has more room - the whole reason I had the car was that my 65 lb Standard Poodle did not fit in the Prius along with my kids.

I'd kill for a stick shift car - automatics are more convenient, but a stick gives you such a better driving experience. The problem is that most Americans just do not know how to drive them. I learned on them and would take a stick any day. If the Acura TSX wagon came with one I'd likely trade in my Prius and not look back.

The only thing that I missed was part of the smart key - being able to touch the door handle to open the car - I was reduced to getting the fob and hitting the button - something that while it added a whole couple of seconds to the process is something that I actually miss. The push button start, not at all. With my 09 I always put the key in the slot under the button when driving - perhaps I'm just a bit too old, perhaps I actually care to be sure that I have actually turned the car off when I get out - so nothing there. Also, both of these features are found on far more than just the Prius and go beyond the Toyota or Lexus brands.

Do you know what I actually miss in my Prius - a drivers seat that does not stink*.

* While I said stink I am thinking something far less PC, the seats are just lothesome

14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

He, he, I know that feeling. :D Do you drive the Prius in Eco mode?

We have a 2008 Civic LX. When I was driving it regularly I didn't think of it as any more sensitive than our Sable, but once (quickly) used to the Prius Eco mode when I first get in the Civic it requires a conscious effort to stop it revving past 2500rpm.

My wife finds the Prius a little unresponsive, even in Power mode.

15. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I have to agree with the OP. Every car has its own balance of features, performance and luxury.

But it's not really about the car so much, it's more about our own perspective, and (if it's important) how a specific car fits into the automotive landscape.

Personally, I decided not to buy another Prius, and drive a Honda Fit Sport instead. It's a bit quicker, handles better (even more so with a lowered, stiffer suspension), has a shorter wheelbase, and the driveline is so much more direct. Not to mention all the cargo space!

I do miss the mileage and the smoothness (in everyday driving) of the Prius with its HSD, and waiting for someone at the train station with the car on, the engine off, and the A/C blowing cold air. It was very relaxing in traffic, too, for the same reasons.

I suppose I'm a simple gal, and simpler and cheaper and smaller appeals to me. The Fit doesn't seem like one of those 'get the extended warranty or else' cars, whereas the Prius did to me. It also seems to have a much less rattle prone interior than the GIII, which I was considering.

16. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Why do people say the Prius seat isn't comfortable enough? Isn't that like saying a piece of Death By Chocolate cake served with double chocolate ice cream covered with chocolate sauce and chocolate sprinkles isn't chocolaty enough?

17. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

There is a compromise between what a car can be made to do on the road in comfort, reliability, sporty performance, and the economy of ownership... for what YOU are willing to spend to have it.

Most of us buy something already made... which has limitations...
    Some take the time to special order from a manufacturer from the aforementioned providers...
    And a select few take the effort and the money that it takes to have something perfect to do what they want to on or off a roadway...

I still take my favorite corners at speed... only the Prius doesn't come out of the shoot as quickly as the Corvette would... the Prius doesn't ride as soft nor as quietly as the Lexus... it can't drive up on riverbeds as I do in the Jeep... and I can seat seven in the Voyager, no way I get more than four of us adults in my Prius (well not comfortable for a child that could be squeezed in)...

I don't miss the $450 to $500+ per month in fuel costs just driving back and forth to work... last month I spent less than $80. [​IMG]

18. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

For death...

Nope... need whipped cream Bra... :hungry:

19. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Add an S/C and you can outrun an M5 like Skunk2's :)

The Prius seat is terrible compared to any set of Brides or Recaros I've ever sat in. If not for the side airbags in the seats, I would have replaced the seats within my first month of ownership.

It's funny because the Prius is a hell of a lot faster off the line than my Evo IX, but that's mainly because of turbo lag. Everyone beats me off the line in that car (but not once at speed).

20. skeptic1

skeptic1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I was driving through Hollywood yesterday on a quick errand. All of the sudden, traffic stopped dead. I saw hundreds of teenagers hopping the fence from the nearby high school and heard police vehicles coming from everywhere! Turns out, somebody reported a suspicious package on the street, so they called in the bomb squad, evacuated the school and started closing off streets. I have never been in such horrendous traffic. In my old Z28 6-speed, I would have been wearing out the clutch, creeping forward 6" at a time. My car before that, was a Fiat, which would have started overheating, requiring me to turn on the heat to cool the engine. Made me glad I was in my Prius.

As for performance, a few weeks ago, some car refused to let me merge onto the freeway, forcing me into some cones. I was pissed, so I caught up to the guy and gave him the finger.

Big mistake! He was about 20 years old, with gang tats on his neck, driving a Mercedes. He started chasing me! So I barrelled down an off ramp at about 70 , with this guy right on my bumper. Thankfully, the Prius is so aerodynamic, that in a pinch, you can hit the curves pretty hard without losing control.

I pulled alongside a truck on the curving off ramp and as the ramp narrowed to one lane, jumped ahead of the guy, putting the truck between me and the other (crazed) driver. I saw it was clear so I blew through the stop sign and when the truck stopped for it, I could hear the Mercedes holding down the horn, trying to get to me! I'm very thankful for my Prius and glad I didn't have to test it's crashworthyness!