1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I've gone solar.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Godiva, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tomorrow the city inspector comes to survey the improvements. If he gives the go then the gas and electric company comes. If they also approve I turn on the power and start generating.

They had to run it through my current circuit breaker box because to tap into my existing line outside would have required me to upgrade my entire system to current code. I'm grandfathered in.

I also had a plumber come out and give me an estimate on a tankless water heater. He's going to have to run a new stainless steel flue up through the attic and the roof. It looks like the total might be around $3,000 for parts and labor. I'm hoping he might fix the gas line for my furnace for free.

If I can get all of this done plus install my closet organizing system before school starts in 17 days I'll be one happy camper. And despite the fact I didn't go on "vacation" I think I've spent my vacation time very well this summer.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not get an electric tankless water heater and power off your solar?

Or better yet go with a solar water heater...that would probably be cheaper anyway.

3. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can't wait to see your set-up. I agree with Evan, for your climate a solar water heating system makes a lot of sense. I'll see if I can dig up some different info for you from this weekends Illinois Renewable Energy Fair.

Wayne

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    congratulations.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    congrats!! you must be so excited to start it up :)

i can say something about the solar hot water... it's really amazing. it's basically a panel of pipes on the roof that heat up the water using the sun. we have a small backup electric heater that i don't think is ever used, even though 4 apartments share the storage tank. it's older than i am. and the water? HOT as can be. love it.

anyway, solar hot water or not, congratulations on going off the grid!

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 9 2007, 10:01 PM) [snapback]493354[/snapback]</div>
    I've already got a natural gas water heater. My breaker panel is maxed out with the PV. For an electric tankless I would have to replace or upgrade my current breaker box. So instead of spending money for venting, I'd be paying an electrician to upgrade my electrical system.

"Electric tankless water heaters are very high power appliances. Because they heat water entirely on demand, their peak electricity needs are substantial even though their total energy consumption is much lower than traditional tank-type water heaters. Consequently, it is often required that a home have a 200 AMP, 208 to 240 volt electrical service to run an electric tankless water heater (smaller whole-house models suitable for warmer climate areas can often be installed on 100, 125, or 150 AMP electrical services). Some homes or businesses do not have such electrical power available and upgrades can sometimes be expensive. "

Solar would have to go on the bedroom roof. It only gets sun from Noon until sunset. I'm a little concerned about weight also. Plus...I want to eliminate my water heater. Even if I had a solar system I'd still need the water heater. This one is 13 years old and on borrowed time. I had it put in on '94 and now I have to replace it again. It may be cheaper to replace every 10-15 years, but it also has a constantly burning NG pilot light. I also think keeping the water hot all of the time is stupid. Yes, a solar water heater would at least pre-heat the water most of the time, but not all of the time. The tankless is also a lot smaller than my current water heater and I could certainly use the space in my kitchen closet.

Maybe at some point down the line I'll add a solar system to boost the tankless. But right now I have to choose between one or the other. If I do the solar, I'll still be replacing my water heater every decade and still have the pilot keeping water hot all of the time. It won't to work so hard to heat it, but it's still a waste to keep in hot all of the time.

In 20 years when this tankless needs replacing, it will probably be cost effective to upgrade the electrical, add some panels and put in an electrick tankless as the price of natural gas will probably make it much more cost effective.

Tankless water heaters

I did get a larger inverter than I needed, a Sunnyboy 4000. The installer said I could add another 6-7 panels. If SDG&E decides to start paying me for any extra power I generate, I'll consider adding to the system. I've got room on the roof.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So with all the work that must have taken place to get everything mounted, you didn't once stop to take pictures?

And if you did, all this time you haven't thought once to post them?

What are we, chopped liver?

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 9 2007, 11:20 PM) [snapback]493386[/snapback]</div>
    I have a really, really tall house. I have a before picture provided by Borrego Solar. I was promised an after picture. Sorry, but I'm not climbing on my roof to take a picture.

Would you like me to take a picture of the circuit breaker box and the inverter? I'll throw in a picture of my meter for free.

You are not chopped liver. Paté, maybe.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow, congrats!

10. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 9 2007, 07:52 PM) [snapback]493350[/snapback]</div>
    You won't save much on the tankless water heater, if its just "money" you are interested in; if you're looking for other benefits such as reclaiming the space the tank-type takes, reducing carbon emissions, etc., then it might make sense.

The best tankless water heaters run at about 96 - 98% efficiency. Most new tank type water heaters, with standby losses, average out around 78% (the heater itself is about 83%). Total water heating cost per year is under $400, so your yearly savings is at most $80, or 20% of that (98% - 78% = 20 points). It takes a long time to get a payback.

A better solution is a solar water heater that assists a tank type water heater; you'll save more than 20%, and the installed cost is less.

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you've decided that a gas tankless is best for your situation then I'd look into other venting options if you can. We have 3 tankless water heaters in our lake house. 2 are installed in our crawl space (which is pretty big...easy to stand up in for about 1/3rd of the floor space of the house). Both have electricity powered vent fans that turn on when the heater turns on and they vent directly through the wall to the outside. I don't see why you'd need a long tall pipe. It might even be possible to install the tankless in a bathroom closet or somewhere besides where your current water heater is located.

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    seriously, if it's just you and the dogs (dogs plural? or singular? :)) then you probably won't need a lot more than the solar anyway. we run the dishwasher during the day, wash clothes in cold water, and at least one of us takes a shower before the sun goes down. the only time i hear evidence of the water heater is if we run the dishwasher at night, after the regenerating capacity of the solar is done for the day and the storage tank was emptied by one of the other 3 residents.

13. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm with Evan regarding venting your heater. I put in a tankless about 5 years ago, the flue pipe we already had wasn't big enough for both the water heater and furnace. So I just got a power vent kit for the heater and vented through the outside wall, the power vent was somewhere between $100 and $200. By the way, I'n NEVER go back to the old tank type heater, it's cut my gas bill by about $10 - 15 a month and never shortage of hot water. As far as replacement, the one I got (Bosh Aquastar) is designed to be repaired rather than replaced, all the parts, gas valve, heat exchanger etc can be bought seperatly, something that's just not practicle with the old tank type.

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 10 2007, 07:48 AM) [snapback]493476[/snapback]</div>
    The house is 1277 square feet. I have no bathroom closet. Relocating it much farther away than where it is will entail reconfiguring my fairly new (7 years old) copper pipes. Hot water goes west to the garage and washer, south to the sink and north to the bathroom. All from that location. Where the tank now is is the hub of the hot water supply.

There really isn't any other place to put it than where the current tank is now. It cannot vent out the side because a door is too close. I suppose once it gets into the attic it can do a 90 degree out the side instead of straight up, but I don't see that saving me a lot of money. So it will have to go up through the roof like the old one did. Unless the plumber can come up with another suggestion. I can't put it in the crawl space underneath because there are concrete stairs just outside that door so still, no place to vent. Adding an electric fan means needing more electricity. I'm hesitant to add more to my electric needs because of my circuit breaker panel.

It really would be nice to have the space in that closet. I have no place to store a mop and bucket, so I keep them in the bathroom. Very attractive for guests. And the dog food bin sits in the kitchen right beside that door and closet because I have no place to put it either.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 10 2007, 09:04 AM) [snapback]493500[/snapback]</div>
    I do laundry and dishes at the same time. Or I'd like to. I can't right now. I can't take a bath or shower while I do laundry either. And I do most at night. If my system is too small (just for me) than any future owner or if my family situation expands...that means redoing everything because it's inadequate. I consider that penny wise and pound foolish. I can only accommodate the smallest size of water heater they currently make, I think it's 20 gallons or less, because of the size of the closet in the kitchen. Another attraction for the tankless is that I can do one load of laundry after another plus do the dishes and not run out of hot water. If I'm doing several loads of sheets, towels, whites, then I have to wait to do the next load of hot. I do save the last hot washer water to reuse for the warm load. And I do save the cold if I'm doing two consecutive loads. I have a recycling washer so that saves me a little on the water bill, but not the gas and electric bill.

15. priussoris

priussoris New Member

No pictures yet :(

get the ladder out, better yet take that helecopter ride you have always wanted and bring your camera :D

last, would be to call the news channels and tell them you have just installed solar and you get free electric to charge your prius and other stuff like that.
    they will be out and you can be on tv too. :p

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Aug 10 2007, 10:46 AM) [snapback]493540[/snapback]</div>
    I'll ask the plumber how much it would save to take a 90 in the attic and vent to the side. We'll look at the breaker panel and see if it can accommodate the extra power an electric fan would entail. But I'm not holding my breath.

My friend has a Takagi and likes it but the plumber said he can't find them locally. He doesn't like Bosch. Right now I'm looking at a Nortiz. I'm looking at the Nortiz 751. Or the Noritz 631. The 751 is only $250 more and only 3 inches deeper so either would fit where my current tank is very easily.

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Aug 10 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]493590[/snapback]</div>
    Ladder? You're crazy. I don't go on the roof. It's over 20 feet up there. You're going to have to be content with a shot from across the street.

[​IMG]

The webpage is now up.

Are you happy now?

18. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice setup!

May I ask how much that setup cost?

How many KW do you have up there?

Are those the 208 watt panels?

I have lots more questions about solar but I think I will let those questions go until I'm ready to get solar for my house. I plan on building a house that will use a combination of solar and wind but that all depends on how much everything will be and if I can afford it.

19. mgipe

mgipe New Member

Nice clean installation! Thanks for posting the pic.

20. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow godiva, that looks great! i guess solar hot water might not be for you but hey, tankless is the next best thing from the sound of it. :)