1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I've got it! Kinda!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wynder, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Wynder

Wynder New Member

So, I had a 2006 Classic Silver #6 on order from one of the two Toyota dealers in the northernmost county of Delaware and was #19 on the list -- with their 9 Prii allocated per month, that put my delivery date around late January early February. So, being employed by a college, I have the last two weeks of the year off for vacation and was out running a few errands, had lunch with a friend, etc, etc...

So, I was on the way home and was driving by the second Toyota dealer in this county and thought to myself, "Self, what the hell?" So, I stopped in to see if they had any Prii to test drive. As I'm walking up the side of the lot nosing around, a salesguy pops out of the side door on his way to check out another vehicle.

"Can I help you find something," he asked me.

"I was looking to see if you guys had any Prius's on the lot."

He nodded, "Sure, right over there." He pointed and I went in that direction. So, I walk over and what do I see -- two Prius's. Both #6; one in barcelona red and the other in classic silver. I *immediately* called the guy back over.

"These belong to anyone," I asked.

"Nope," he replied.

"Can I take it for a spin," I countered.

"Yep," he answered with a smile.

A few short minutes later I was on my second test drive of a Prius. About 10 minutes later I asked the big question.

"Can you guys hold it for me?"

"How long," he inquired.

"Oh, January 2nd," I told him.

He thought a moment and nodded in reply, "Shouldn't be a problem."

Within 20 minutes I had put down a small deposit and signed the buy order -- I was dissapointed on my trade-in (99 Grand Am with about 81,000 miles). I was expecting at least around $2800, but I had an aftermarket head unit, the interior was a little rough, and there were a few technical difficulties that would need to be overcome to get it in resellable shape. So, they offered $1500, I countered with $2400 and we settled at $2000 which worked for me.

I told him I was paying someone $990 for the extended warranty -- if they wanted to be that person, they were more than welcome to match the price, which they did without any complaints. Their normal price is around $1260 or so -- not bad, all things considering.

I started to ask to make sure that no dealer stickers or badges were affixed to the vehicle -- before I had even really started to ask the question, he had put up his hands and said, "The only thing we ever add is a small circular badge affixed with putty... There isn't one on the vehicle now, so if there is when you take delivery, I'll make sure it's off."

So, he's supposed to give me a call Monday, January 2nd 2006 around 9am, so they can get it in to get the gas tank filled, interior and exterior cleaned and prepped for delivery!! I'm bloody excited!

So, any tips for delivery? I've got the pick-up check lists and everything, but if someone would care to highlight the major things, I'd appreciate it! I did hit costco and picked up the battery charger/air compressor for $50, so I'll be bringing that with me. :)

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sweet dude. That's great news. I'd recommend the Clear Mask and have them jack the tyre pressure up for you. Do you get any benefit for being a Costco member? It might save you a few hundred bucks. Ask 'em if they sell Block Heaters and if you can get a deal on the installation.

3. QED

QED New Member

Oh man, timing is everything. Congrats B)
    I'd say, don't drink coffee on delivery day, or you'll be WAY too wired! :p

....all I want for Christmas is a FIRM delivery date.... :lol:

4. Wynder

Wynder New Member

I'll have my charger/compressor with me, but I'm thinking I'll start off at 38/36 PSI (it's supposed to be a 2PSI difference or 3?)... I'm sure they'll be willing to do that for me.

My Costco program directed me to the people with whom I first dealt and they stated that they ommitted the Prius from the Costco auto program. Bummer, but no big deal at this point. I'm not *too* worried about the clear mask, most of our winter road stuff is salt and sand -- no gravel. The block heater I may ask about... though winters here in Delaware don't get too cold... It's rare that we'll see a winter with actual temps (not wind chill temps) below 0F.

Thanks for the suggestions and the congrats. :)

5. Wynder

Wynder New Member

I'm a tea guy, but I think I'll be wired regardless! And I hope you get your wish for Christmas!

6. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Two pounds is the "convention", although it SHOULD vary with different cars, as their front/rear distributions of weight vary (e.g., 60%/40%, 55%/45%). But that's another thread.

I wouldn't underestimate the ability of those salt crystals to start adhering to, and oxidizing, your paint. And you don't need gravel on the roads to get stone/debris chips. This is your mother speaking. :eek:

You might wanna just open the hood and check the oil when you pick it up. If someone looks at you quizzically, you can simply (and truthfully) observe that you've heard horror stories about substantially-overfilled oil. Chances are you might be too excited driving it around, smooching it, etc. the first few days to check it then. :D

7. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Check out the Block heater threads. You're very likely to still benefit from it even in moderately "cold" temps. More so if you have a pretty short commute.

8. Wynder

Wynder New Member

Blessedly, I think I have the perfect commute for a Prius -- about 40 minutes of mostly stop and go traffic. :) I'll definitely inquire, though.

9. Wynder

Wynder New Member

How much does the clear coat run, by the way?

This I will also do -- hopefully it won't be hard to find the dipstick. :) Now, I just need someone to clarify the 'glide' aspect of the pulse and glide driving technique, heh!

10. Wynder

Wynder New Member

UPDATE:

The manager from the dealership from whom I originally ordered my Prius from called today to tell me my car had been allocated and he wanted to go over the pricing, apparently having not gotten the memo that I'd already picked up my deposit. :)

It seems that fate is not without a sense of irony that, had I waited another day or two to visit the other TOyota dealer, I might actually have had to wait another month to pick it up instead of... 11 days. :)