1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I've had it with darelldd

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by naterprius, Jan 25, 2006.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    darelldd, I have had just about enough of you. I was very happy with my fully gasoline Prius, thank you very much. Now, pictures of the vehicle I really want (RAV4-EV) are plastered all over my beloved PriusChat. I can't stand the sight of you, standing there, next to your giant "EV" emblems on your automobile, with your smug, smug grins. Flaunting it like the girl I can't get a date with. "Solar Powered" none the less. Don't you know your plug-in is no better because it gets its electricity from fossil fuel? Oh? It's solar powered? Wind powered? Hydro powered? Nuclear powered? Fine. Well, your car isn't so great, you know, because the range sucks. What??? It goes 100 miles on a charge? Well, it must be smaller than a Prius. WHAT? It's a small SUV? Fine, whatever.

So, here on PriusChat, we have over 10,000 smug little hybrid drivers (or wannabes) and along comes great big darelldd, with his smug smugness all wrapped up in a box of smug labeled RAV4-EV, and spoils it all. As I drive in my electrically powered (scratch that, GASOLINE powered, only partially electrically propelled) Prius, I am no longer the king of smug.

I am no longer smug when I press my "EV" button and drive for .5 miles at 15 mph. I am no longer smug sitting at a light with the engine (usually) off, now that I realize it will start up momentarily.

I am, to put it bluntly, no longer happy with my Prius. I now want more, I NEED more smugness. Oh, how I long to plug in. I NEED to plug in. And I for one blame darelldd!

I now scoff at my own Prius. It's true. I had a "glass half full" kind of thing going for over a year on my little Prius. I'd look under the hood, and see the inverter, and think, hey, it's half electric! Awesome! Now, I look under the hood, and think, damn, it's only half electric.

And then, when I pull up to the pump, as I did today, I realize it's not even half, it's ALL gasoline. Yes, it uses less, but there's no plug, dammit, there's still no plug, and until that day comes, it's a gas powered car. And it just isn't right.

And, I blame Darell. Don't you see? Last time I had this epiphany I went out and bought a Prius and all was right with the world. And now what? The lack of a plug has been secretly nagging me, but I was able to deny it, and drive my smug little self to work in my smug little car, and now, well now, it's gone, because darelldd has prodded me to admit the truth, that I am not happy without the plug.

I want my smugness back. I want my smug level raised back up to darell's. I fear the only remedy will be a plug of my very own... I say we all descend upon Toyota's headquarters and bring our Prii and some plugs, maybe 10,000 of us can get Toyota to attach them?

Damn, I hate my car. Stupid ICE engine. I hate that smug bastard Darell as well... I was happy before he got here...

It's like this, we had the most environmentally friendly car on the road, us Prius owners. And darelldd comes along, and throws all that out the window.

Any other darelldd haters here? Suffering plug-in envy? Thanks a friggin' lot, Darell. My hybrid sucks now.

Nate

P.S. (In all seriousness, I know Darell from an EV forum. He's awesome, really he is. Darell, glad to know you can stoop down to our level and buy yourself a crappy non-plugin hybrid. Could you please at least TRY to wipe that smug grin off of your face? For an example of what "NOT smug" looks like, just look for me driving my Prius.)

P. P. S. If anyone has a RAV4-EV that needs a good home in the beautiful Rocky Mountains, I have a Prius that's no longer good enough that I need to replace (stupid darelldd)!

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Heh. I only got a Prius because I couldn't get an EV vehicle. It's always been a substitute stop-gap for me. I really wanted something like the EV1, but the only BEVs available here are little city cars (such as the Reva/G-Wiz).

Hopefully mass take-up of hybrids will drive down prices of all the technology they share with BEVs.

It's been very annoying that so much of the EV development by major manufacturers was centred on the US. It's over here that they'd make more sense! We probably tend to do fewer long-range trips, fuel is much more expensive, and every mains socket is 13A @ 230V, so no need for any special wiring for a fast charger!

3. benighted

benighted New Member

LOL! You could always spend the money and add batteries and control modules to make the Prius a plug in.

4. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    NaterPrius: My sentiments exactly and a very funny post! I used to be so priud of buying a Prius now while I still like the car I see it purley as a transition. This is a good thing though! Prius is getting a lot of traction AND this will get people thinking about true EV mode which in turn will make them realize there is TODAY (and 10 years ago) technology for a pure EV car with more then enough range (and great acceleration/speed) for most of us. So the Prius could truly change the market so in the end it is doing an important job by not being too different from a car but opening peoples eyes, I doubt I would have realized that true EVs are possible without the Prius.

Let's all hope that the 08 Prius gets true EV mode!

5. EricGo

EricGo New Member

ROFL !!

The funniest things are true.

6. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

Out of curiosity, what would the 'option' cost have to be for you all to have bought a plugin option from Toyota with your Prius?

I would have paid for a package 7 (over my 4) if it had plug-in-ability instead of NAV - but the $12k that you can retrofit for is just not worth it.

Let's give Toyota's lurkers some good information =)

7. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would pay several thousand extra to get a ture EV car. 12 is too much but I could see 6-10k for a true EV mode of 30-50 miles. I'm not doing this to save money but as a statement and to save the environment. It would also be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cool to drive a true EV car, though if they build one make sure it stands out like the Prius does :).

I think if the loaded a prius and added EV mode I would pay $40.000 for it, especially if it came with a factory battery warantee like the one we have now. I would also trade on my Prius today of they released it.

8. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    LOL, great post. I see the Prius as a stepping stone car and nothing to be un-smug or ashamed of for still utilizing fossil fuels. It's the stepping stone between ICE gasoline only cars and whatever the next step is-hopefully something more like an EV, or perhaps a solar-powered long-range EV. :) :D

9. jeneric

jeneric New Member

I've had it with YOU. Missed all of darelldd's pictures. Finally get my car, and this is the first post I read!!!

Oh well, I'll deal. :) Nice post. My power is hydro, but it seems like it could probably replace people's power who use coal, if we used less of it.

10. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree. It's still the best produciton car available today (well ok the insight is as good) and a lot better then the average car. Still before I started posting/reading here I was so smug about it and thought it was the best that could be built with today's technology and then the bastard darell proves me wrong and that Toyota had a much more impressive car available several years ago. I thought they pulled them from the market because they didn't perform well or had real technical problems now I think there was something else behind (probably they where out too early).

Toyota I'm sure you are reading so shape up and give us a true EV mode! :) Push into Li Ion technology hard and start selling them even if it would be at an initial loss, take it as a PR statement for the environment. Simply undust the RAV IV EV, switch battery technology and throw in a small gasoline engine (buy a singe thumper from Yamaha Motorcycles).

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's a little nit-pick I've always had about North American wiring. The mains plugs in the UK are hefty things, very safe. Ever seen mains plugs for the North American market? The standard NEMA 5-15? 15 amps at 120 volts, and it will run hot at rated current too.

My parents recently wanted an electric heater put into the garage at their condo, so I finally wired it up last weekend. I got a "construction" heater, a basic 20 amp 4,500 watt, 240v heater.

The plug looks almost like the plugs used in the UK, it's a NEMA 6-30p.

The basement at their condo is only partially finished, but I still had a lovely time running that stiff 10/2 wire through the I-joists. Drilling out into the attached garage was easy, so was hooking up the new box.

My Dad really likes walking into an insulated garage that is no colder than +7 C.

12. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    LOL! Your misdirected anger at me will be further misdirected even more at darelldd. It is HIS fault, after all, that I don't have a plug in. I told him to sell me his Rav4-EV and he has thus far refused.

I used to be content that I owned one the best production cars on the road. I am no longer content. I itch for more. (Stupid darelldd).

Believe it or not, I actually saw a RAV4 EV on the roadway here in Boulder, and I chased the driver off the road and accosted him, demanding that he let me drive his car. He agreed, and he and I have become friends. He has offered to let me borrow it for a weekend, provided I loan him my Prius. I will likely take him up on it, but I fear it will only make me even more miserable in my Prius.

Nate

13. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That is SO cool! I want to drive one too! Anyone in close proximity of Boston with one? I'll lend you my full loaded Prius anytime!

But yeah that will probably make you even more miserable but pleae post your driving impressions when it happens... we all know we can't trust that Darell guy :lol:

14. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have actually already driven the RAV4 EV. I haven't had it for a full weekend, but I drove it over 10 miles.

My impression is: boredom. No engine. No starting. No warmup. No shifting. No transmission. No oil light. I actually forgot for a moment I was driving an EV! There is nothing to report. It is, in a word, PERFECT. It accelerates fine. It stops fine. It handles fine. What else is there to know? You just drive it. You open the door, you get in, you turn the key, shift to "D" and off you go. The pedal on the right goes faster, the pedal on the left slows you down. It's quiet, it's smooth, it's easy. Nothing interesting to report except pure perfection. There's really not much to talk about except the fact that I DON'T HAVE ONE. About the only real thing that stood out was the SMUG grin on my face as I drove down the road.

Nate

15. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    :)... I need to test drive one of these EVs... they seem to perfect to be true!.... not I'm starting to think you and darell is in cahoots to make my prius feel even more like yesterdays technology :)

16. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

sounds like you have "ev-envy"....

I got it too!!!

17. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Oh gosh Nate I'm feeling the same way now :( And I was the one that got him started by starting the EV thread. :rolleyes:

When I get in Stealth mode I want to STAY there. If ONLY it weren't $12,000. <sigh>

18. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Um, would "undust the RAV" mean to throw dust all over it?

:lol:

19. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

NATE, DON'T DO IT! :eek:

PS That sound like something I would do is to run the Rav4 guy off the road to chat with him :lol:

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol

naterprius, that's soo cool. I wonder if they could extend the range using regenerative braking too.