1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ive looked under refueling and cant find ..not top off..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hairgal, Jun 14, 2008.

1. hairgal

hairgal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ok guys..Im just a little old gal from Oklahoma here. As ive posted on other threads my first fill up was a disaster..pump never clicked off as I was pumping slowly..would up spitting up gas..now my gas mileage has dropped. I called the dealership and was told to bring it in and more than likely the drop is because of what happened in refueling..NOW>>>where does it state that you are not to top off..even though I don not believe that is what was wrong as the pump never cut off..the service manager said..you are never suppose to top off..how was I suppose to know THAT..where is it wriiten?

2. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure if the 2008 Owners Manual is identicle to the 2007, but in my manual I find it in Section 2-1 "Operation of Instruments and Controls", in the subsection titled "Fuel tank cap", which begins on page 48, and continues with the following warning on page 49:

Attached Files:

3. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interestingly, the warning indicates the possiblilty of fuel splashing out, but it makes no mention of damaging the EVAP system, or effects on warranty coverage. Perhaps there is another warning I'm less familiar with? Anyone?

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    While hairgal shouldn't be expected to read a Toyota Technical Training manual, here's what it says about overfilling:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not topping off has been good advice since the early 80's when charcoal cannisters became standard equipment on US autos. Prius is no different, except the consequences are more expensive due to fuel getting between the bladder and the tank shell. Leave the pump on slow, auto shutoff. When its done, hang it up. If the pump fails to shut off, contact the station owner when you have a repair estimate. Most have insurance to protect them. Usually this is used for things like water that may be pumped from their storage tanks into your vehicle, but it won't hurt to try. Bring another car to the same pump nozzle and see if it shuts off automatically.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would be very surprised that your mileage took a hit from an overfill. I can see damage to the evap system, which causes a DTC to be logged, but in general that shouldn't make your mileage worse.

Don't let the dealer con you. That said, most mileage drops are simply changes in driving conditions. How long have you been driving your Prius? Have there been any recent changes in your driving habits, traffic, temperature, road conditions, etc.?

Tom

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am wondering what is your method to determine that your mpg dropped; and what is the amount of the decrease?

It sounds like you are only on your second tank of gas, perhaps this is too soon to come to a conclusion about a permanent mpg change?

If you have no warning lights on, there should be no damage. In that case I doubt that the dealer tech will do much for you.

8. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like Patrick says you really need more (about 4) tanks to calculate the mpg by dividing the miles traveled/gallons pumped.

If, after this averaging out, your mpg is below 40 you might want to see if it improves following the initial break-in period.

You might want to find a flat piece of land to drive 100 miles on cruise control at 60mph and come back and tell us what your MFD says. Also note that A/C can reduce your mpg sigificantly especially in city driving.

Your complaint of too low an mpg reading is almost invariably every new owner's "issue" with the car.:D

9. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Topping off is bad for ALL emissions controlled vehicles, not just the Prius.

10. hairgal

hairgal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you all for the info.

I was interesting in where in the manuel it is written about the topping off.
    I was making an assumption that something seeming so important would be under "refueling" information. I am blond however that would seem to be the most logical place to put somekind of warning about refueling and topping off gas.

The only reason I thought there might possible be something wrong is that with the first tank the mpg would go up and down 2 to 4mpg depending on where I was driving, down hill in town whatever.. With this second tank it is seems to be stuck at 39. only going up and down tenths not entire gallons. Basically the same route every day since I had the car.

Ive really enjoyed all the post here and am learning lots about my new "ride"

11. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Did you reset your consumption screen when you filled up? If you didn't you are seeing the lifetime mpg and not the tank mpg.

12. hairgal

hairgal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes I reset it..Im sure it will be fine,,what griped me the most is the fact that this "refueling thing' seem so important but yet the 08 manuel does not address it as such..anyway not where I have been able to find.