1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I've noticed the ICE revs more frequently

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by anteddy, Oct 24, 2012.

1. anteddy

anteddy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've had the car a little over a month. First 1000 miles were smooth (55mpg), but I have noticed that the ICE kicks in a lot more frequently now. I might be driving it incorrectly, but I've noticed my mpgs drop to under 50 for the last 800 miles driving the same commute. For an extreme example of the revving: I go to the store. Get out of the car for as little as 10 minutes after the car has been driven 15 miles or so — and even though the battery is more than half way charged, the ICE kicks once I start moving from my spot.

Even if I'm just moving from one part of the parking lot to another going less than 10 mph. When I let off the gas, the ICE continues to run even after I come to a stop.

Now I know it's getting colder (highs in the lower 50s these days), so I expect this in the morning after it sits out all night. But I don't remember this happening when I first got it (granted, it was warmer in mid Sept here).

Am I nitpicking here? Do I need to learn how to drive this car better?

2. chicagoaficionado

chicagoaficionado Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think its the weather. Look up grill blocking. If its cold out, the heat really gets sucked out. I could be wrong, but in the high 30's my ICE came back on after driving 1.3 miles at 45mph after I sat at a light for 1 minute.

3. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'd go with weather being the reason as well. Now that it's high 50s and low 60s in the morning here, I notice the ICE does stay on longer or come on more frequently.

4. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Another vote for the weather. Also keep in mind that the ICE works more when you have the heat on.