1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

J.D. Powers: Prius Most Dependable

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Code Blue, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Code Blue

Code Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  2. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why does J.D. Powers categorize the Prius as a "Compact Car"? Other sources I've read tend to categorize the Prius as a midsize sedan.

Are there any official guidelines out there governing how the industry shall categorize vehicles, or does each organization create their own rules?

When I think of "size", I consider interior volume (passenger + cargo). Of course with certain types of vehicles, there are other variables to complicate the matter (for example, "extended cabs").

Corolla: 104.3 cu ft
    Prius: 110.6 cu ft
    Camry: 115.9 cu ft

I guess we just have to accept that the 2004 model Prius is a "tweener", subject to categorization that fits the author's agenda.

I think evolution plays a part. Perhaps the Prius fit in well with the midsizes a few years ago, but due some manufacturers upgrading their midsize models to be even larger, the Prius is shrinking in size relative to those same models.

3. Code Blue

Code Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It definitely seems to be in-between, because people complain about the cars that it's compared to, regardless of which ones they are. It's too expensive and luxurious to be a compact, not powerful or roomy enough to be a mid-size, etc. (And whichever it is, it definitely needs better seats; I thought I'd throw that in to save a few posts.)

When I think of "compact," I think exterior size, because the only place it really matters is when you see a parking space that says Compact Cars Only. I know it's easy to parallel park, and it doesn't stick out of the shopping-center space even when the truck across from me has pulled its grille into my space.

Comparing it to compact cars gives it an edge, so that's fine with me.

To me, gas savings, lower emissions, safety, etc., are good features, but dependability is the gold standard.

4. benw123

benw123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Those JD Power results are similar to those in the UK, where this year, the Prius came top after being joint-top last year with the Lexus IS200. Toyota and Lexus have redefined reliability.

5. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    CHEERS!

wooooooooo hoooooooooo. isn't that a solid reason that we all drive a prius??

6. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Anyone have a link to the actual tables and results?

I'm surprised the Prius would rank better than the Corolla, after all the Prius is more complex....

7. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would be more interested in a 7-year ownership survey. Most problems of vehicles show up
    after warranty expires, which is typically 3 to 4 years. My co-worker's '03 Lexus RX300 already
    got him stranded twice. He is one of the most gentle drivers I know. The vehicle has been maintained by local Lexus dealer on schedule.
    Most recent one was caused by IAC valve failure (can't maintain idle). A $700 repair.
    All four Honda vehicles I have owned (all at least 7 years) had 0 problem before I sold them.

There are big problems with vehicles, and there are small problems. Lumping all issues into "problem counts" seems too casual to me. At least, problems should be weighted by their severity.
    A problem of a vehicle that gets its driver stranded on the road should be given 100X weight than a annoying rattle.
    Well, that is just my two-cent opinion.

8. penbed

penbed New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    From everything I have read the Pri has outstanding owner satisfaction
    over long term as well.
    I researched throughly before buying mine,I cannot imagine being any
    happier in 7-8 years than now.

9. kazots

kazots LifesaBeach

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It is good news for all of us who bought our Prius in the last few years. We have to thank those who had enough foresight to buy and drive Prius for the past years.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The sedan is a compact. The hatchback is a midsize. This chart is from Frequently Asked Questions

CARS
    Class
    Passenger & Cargo Volume (Cu. Ft.)
    Two-Seaters
    Any (cars designed to seat only two adults) ​
    Sedans Minicompact
    < 85​
    Subcompact
    85 - 99​
    Compact
    100 - 109​
    Mid-Size
    110 - 119​
    Large
    120 or more​
    Station Wagons
    Small
    <130​
    Mid-Size
    130 - 159​
    Large
    160 or more​

11. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reference. So it looks like JD Powers isn't precisely following the DOE's guidelines for automobile categories. You are right, the 2004+ model Prius definitely falls within the midsize category, 110-115 cu.ft., along with the Camry.

12. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [​IMG] TrueDelta is an independent web survey that ranks cars by model year based on user data of over 32,000 cars. Their methodology is based on trips to the repair shop: Trips/year per 100 (VRS Score) -- average number of successful repair trips per year per 100 vehicles; number of successful repair trips reported by owners divided by months of data, then multiplied by 12 (to annualize), then multiplied by 100.

You might even want to join the survey.

13. mrg

mrg Member

I need to try out a Prius with factory leather seats to compare. My "04 had cloth upholstery which was not comfortable at all. However. My '07 Prius I had leather installed at the port. The covers have gel in them. They are very comfortable. I will have had it 2 years in November.

I am not sure I could haul my Honda Lawn mower to the shop (well I bought an electric battery powered mower while it is in the shop) or that I could haul my recliner home from the store in a compact:)

Attached Files:

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's what Consumer Reports is for. Currently, their reliability ratings go back to the 98 model year. Every year of RX from 99 to 07 has had better than avg. to much better than average reliability.

15. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    QUIT SPAMMING THIS BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've posted the same crap in all our forums. Go away! :mad:

If you're a bot, I've just wasted my time/fingers. :D

... Brad