1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jack Stand Placement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by OrlandoGuy, May 30, 2008.

1. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am getting ready to rotate my tires and install the mud guards and have a question please.

Looking in the manual it shows where to use a floor jack on the front and back...and says you should use jack stands as well when working on the car..but it does not show where to place the jack stands.

Does anyone have the proper placement for a jack stand for each wheel once the floor jack is using the one spot on the front and back allowed?

Thanks.

Also..funny thing in the 2008 owner's manual...it says DO NOT USE THE FLOOR JACK INCLUDED IN THE VEHICLE.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The rail that runs along the length of the body has a couple of pairs of notches where the supplied jack is supposed to be placed when raising the car. I would put the jackstands at those points, assuming that the jackstand has a notch to fit the rail.

Can you please scan the page from your owner's manual that says not to use the jack, and post it?

3. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The 2008 Owner's manual show the proper places to use with a floor jack, find this on page 362.
    On page 363, under When raising your vehicle, a bulleted item says
    Lift up the vehicle using a floor jack such as the one shown here in the illustration. (The illustration shows a 4wheeled floor jack)

The next bulleted item says Do not use the floor jack that was supplied with your vehicle.

I guess I never looked, was a cheap floor jack included or is it a scissor jack?

ZC1

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, I think I understand the issue now. Both the rear and the front of the Prius have a central jacking point that allows you to raise up one axle (two wheels) at a time. Those jacking points are intended for a hydraulic floor jack.

The jack supplied with the Prius is intended for use when lifting one corner of the car at a time. That jack is placed between a pair of notches that can be found on the rail that runs along the length of the body.

5. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the help.

They make jack stands that are notched? All I have ever seen are unnotched Guess I will have to try looking new places.

About the warning - DO not use the jack that came with the car - You have to admit it is funny!

After 3000 miles I have to say I am really more impressed with this car every day. This is the first new car I had that did not need to go back to the dealer to fix something....everything is right.

6. dallas27

dallas27 Love my Jeep

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As an FYI, someone posted a long time ago that toyota uses the "rubber bricks" that are notched to fit perfectly with the welds to lift the prius by the frame without damage. If you have the energy, I would hunt a pair of those down, or even make a set from stock hard rubber.I never found a good spot to jack up my (totaled) prius with stand and not cause some paint chips or deformation. The rubber bricks would have been helpful.

7. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Rubber bricks? Sounds like a great idea!!! I'll search them out..that would be perfect.

Thanks!!

8. ivanbg

ivanbg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You could use hockey pucks.

Here is a picture that I took from someone's forum post.

Attached Files:

9. ivanbg

ivanbg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was lifting up the front end of the prius today so I decided to take a few pic a some of the jack and jacking points that I use.

Attached Files:

10. Lewie

Lewie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think the issue is that the included jack is not designed to be "man-safe". It's fine for lifting a corner of the car as long as you don't place your body underneath. A sturdy jack stand without hydraulics should be used whenever you're placing yourself in harm's way.

11. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Here's a place where you can get both a notched pad for the hydraulic jack to be used on the pinch-weld rail, and a rubber cover for a jackstand to go in the channel next to the rail:

New Page 1 (side lift jack pad)

New Page 1 (jack stand pads)

12. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I like the way you replaced the license plate number with your username in the photo. Neat! :)