1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. 1F7

1F7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    These approaches for jacking and supporting the prius have been previously mentioned on priuschat, but it's been convenient to put them all together.

To lift any corner of the prius with a floor jack:

Cut a hockey puck in half and epoxy the two halves 1/2-inch apart to a round metal plate which fits in the lifting cup of a floor jack. Then fit the welded vertical metal of any prius side jacking point into the groove between the two puck halves, and lift. This puts no weight on the vertical piece and all the weight on the horizontal unibody without any scratching.
    To support the front with two jackstands:

Cut two hockey pucks in half and fit the two halves 1/2-inch apart on the top of each jack stand. I just epoxied them to the jackstand top, but something removable could be done also.
    To jack the front without driving the car tires onto blocks:

An American Forge AFF 200T floor jack will reach the center front jacking point. I'm sure other long and low jacks that can do this too.
    When I rotate tires, I do front-to-back and back-crossed-to-front, so it's convenient have all four wheels off the ground. I jack the front at the center front jacking point, lower it onto jack stands on the two front side jacking points, then jack the back at the center back jacking point. If I'm going underneath the back, I have two big wood blocks to support the back corners, but I don't bother with this for just tire rotation.

So nothing original here, but I'm pleased with this approach and perhaps someone else will find it useful.

Bill

PriusJackstandPuck.jpg PriusJackJackstandPuck.jpg

Jaby Glides likes this.
  2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's technically the way everyone's *supposed* to deal with
    pinch welds at the bottom of the rocker panels, but a lot of
    garage guys don't care and just slam the lift pads right onto