1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

January MPG Averages

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by rflagg, Jan 14, 2005.

1. rflagg

rflagg Member

Ok, so sue me, I have to brag.

Filled up on the 12th, here's the tank stats:

Tank miles: 559
    Overall miles: 22027
    Car MPG: 52.2
    Gallons Filled: 10.839
    Miles past last bar flashing: 50.6

Of course, we've had a very, very mild few weeks. Yesterday the high was 70, today when I drove into work it was in the mid 40's. Tomorrow, well it'll be a different story in the mid 20s if lucky. But at least I'm currently sitting pretty on 100 miles of driving and 55.6 MPGs. If only the weather could stay warm... :)

-m.

2. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

Tank Miles: 231.2
    Total Miles: 3626
    Tank MPG: 39.9
    Lifetime MPG: 45.30
    Avg Temp: 30s
    Price of Tank: $10
    Price per Gal: $1.79

This is a "hybrid" of December and January driving. No fillups between Dec. 17 and Jan. 11.

3. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Sue me too. I'm sitting at 608 miles with an average of 55.9 MPG. I'll fill up at around 650 miles. I have 21,000 on the car so far. I took a hit in the middle of the tank by getting an oil change and the ss40d. The dealership can always be counted on to substantially hurt my mileage when they get ahold of the car. The temps have been around 30 in the morning and around 60 in the afternoon. I haven't had too many short trips this tank and that has helped alot. Go Prius!

4. mss

mss New Member

Wow. I thought I was doing well. But then again I am in CT. Also, temps have been warm (for here).

2nd tank:

Miles: 365
    Gals: 8.84
    Calc: 41.27
    MFD: 43.3

Third tank was up to 49MPG on MFD for 240 miles!, but today is down to 47 - Local driving and colder temps are killer.

I am really looking forward to Spring. I know it is going to get worse before it gets better.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm hovering around the 6.0L/100km mark (39mpg) :(

6. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So, I didn't make it to 650. At 631, while climbing a steep hill, I ran out of gas. It has been stated here in the past that climbing hills can cause you to run out of gas with a little fuel remaining in the tank. I turned around and went to the gas station I had just passed without depleting the battery. The MFD said 55.7 MPG and 27 degrees F. I added 11.4 gallons which calculates to 55.35 MPG. I have added 12.7 gallons in the past without running out, so I think there was probably some fuel remaining and the cold temperatures affected the fill somewhat. My MFD and calculated mileage are always pretty close so I don't think the bladder affected my fill as much as some have reported. I think I got lucky with my tank as I am always able to get in around 12 gallons. It's a little embarassing to run out of gas but great to be able to get to the station on electric power. Go Prius!

7. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I've just had some of my best and my worst mileage.

Two trips of 38 and 78 miles I got 57 mpg.

My normal commute this morning for 13 miles I got 38 mpg.

Differences were:

1 Opportunities to use EV button
    2 Temperature 40 degrees vs 21 degrees F
    3 Rushing to work vs driving economically (at 40-60 mph)
    4 Amount of stop and go on the two routes.
    5 Amount of heater load. I didn't skimp on heat. At 21 F my auto mode
    never came off high. Did use recirc for part of trip though. Also used electric
    heaters at start of trip.
    6 Lots of lights on my commute, so cold costs even more when it gets so engine
    can't even stop at a light.

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My current average is between 52 and 54mpg

Between 17,000 and 18,000 miles on the car
    Average tank between 450 and 510 miles.
    Average fuel added: between 9.0 and 9.8 gallons.

9. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

Tank Miles: 258.5
    Total Miles: 3884
    Tank MPG: 41.6
    Lifetime MPG: 45.03
    Avg Temp: 20s
    Price of Tank: $11
    Price per Gal: $1.82

I've just started to drive it more, and was pleased to see the mileage nose up. I expect to use it more now that I'm in a musical, and (presumably) there will be rehearsals. Public transit does it for me most other times.

10. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

It's real cold here in Pennsylvania...42.1 mpg

rn

11. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    running about 38-41mpg with temps between -05F for lows and daytime high in the upper teens F...

12. sethster

sethster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My first two tanks in the "Space Pod":
    45.1 MPG Measured Actual in 400 miles
    49.1 MPG Computer Calculated

52.1 MPG Measured Actual in 450 miles
    54.0 MPG Computer Calculated

The temps in Southern California hovered between 50 degrees F at night to an unseasonably warm 80+ degrees during the daytime.

Cheers,

Seth

13. tjoe78

tjoe78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1st trip to work in my car EVER this morning--avg. temp. was -8!
    Got 35.2 mpg on a 16.5 mile commute.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    According to the MFD, my worst average fuel economy so far: 9.8 litres per 100km. That's around 29 MPG or 25 MPG U.S. gallon.

Conditions: -35 to -40 C, max heat selected, rear defrost on, 30-40 min commute at average 10-15 km/hr.

In contrast, my 2000 GMC Sierra under similar conditions returned around 4 MPG.

15. Benevento

Benevento New Member

The EPA ratings for the Prius are complete myths, at least here in Northern Michigan. I have tracked every gallon of gas and every mile driven, and the average since I bought this car in November of 2004 is 38 mpg. That includes a trip to Florida and, of course, a very hot summer up here.

Sure I can get 45 mpg at 45 miles per hour with no stoplights in warm weather under ideal conditions. But in the reality where I live, the Prius is no better than a Saturn in cold weather and probably worse than a VW diesel.

I have tried to like this car, but I just can't. It isn't "me." If it really got 60/50 mpg perhaps I'd like it, but it doesn't. And it is the most annoying and unsafe car I have ever owned.

I keep hearing that folks out there really want a Prius and I could sell it for what I paid for it. Well I paid $29,500 for the BC (#9) package including GPS, side-curtain airbags, 6-CD changer and some ridiculous numbr of speakers, and a pre-paid service contract, etc.

It's red, and has only 8,400 miles.

Anyone who wants to come to Traverse City, Michigan with a cashier's check for $27,000 can have it. Such a deal!

Norm Brokaw
    231-947-3153

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Guess it doesn't work in your city. I've been getting 50-54mpg in the city (no highway driving) and my city isn't exactly flat like Texas.

Sad to hear that it didn't work out.

17. Benevento

Benevento New Member

And just what city or state might that be? Tideland sounds like it might be coastal NC?

18. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Coastal North Carolina in Canada? I don't think so.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  20. Benevento

Benevento New Member

My question is, why doesn't it work in my city? Traverse City isn't that unique.

Of course I now understand that "Tideland" is the color, not the location. So tell me, how do you get 50-54 in BC (which is further north than even Northern Michigan)?

I used to baby the Prius to get the best gas mileage I could. But I read a piece in the Rocky Mountain Institute newsletter on how to drive a Prius ...accelerate fast (the torque is better and more efficient) and coast. But I have never got over 50 mpg over any extended period (like one tank of gas) under any conditions. I'm an old man (62) not a hot-shot young kid. Tell me how to get 50-54 mpg consistently in a cold (or any) climate.

You guys know the Prius. Is my Prius perhaps defective? Should I take it in to get serviced or something? My wife says the battery indicator (usually blue bars) turns green or some shade of yellow. Maybe the battery is bad, or the charger defective?

As a final whine, let me say that my old Saturn had plastic side panels and looked brand-new after 7 years. The Prius seems to have very thin paint and is already scratched everywhere by nothing more sharp than my fingernails or maybe a tree branch. Is that unique to my car, or have others experienced that? Is there any coating or process that could make the paint more sturdy?